• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Brit Pop Appreciation Thread

Choose your weapon!

• Blur

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Oasis

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Pulp

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

This video (and song) for the win

It was good that The Bluetones had their moment in the sun. 'Expecting To Fly' was a pretty great debut, which has aged better than some albums of that time. I always thought that the follow-up 'Return to the Last Chance Saloon' was a good album, but perhaps a bit too long. I'm sure I read an interview where they said they were intent on making something very different to the debut. I'm sure it had some success (and the singles had some airplay) at the time, but the britpop bubble had burst by 1998, from memory what was left of it was killed off by 'OK Computer' in 97. Pulp's 'This is Hardcore' did a great job as the post britpop comedown album. I lost touch with The Bluetones after the second album.

Anyone catch Blur or Pulp live this year?

Pulp at Finsbury Park exceeded all expectations. Jarvis has still got it, and then some.

Also saw Blur at Wembley. There were literally hundreds of tickets going for £20-£30 during the week of the gig. Fuck me they really did put on a show. Played a huge setlist full of bangers. Forgot how many tunes they had.

Yes, I saw Pulp in Sheffield last week. Fucking incredible. Crowd had a lot of young faces

Yes, I saw Pulp in Sheffield last week. Fucking incredible. Crowd had a lot of young faces

The circle has come round again.

The britpop era for me, was built around kids born in 60s early 70s, being influenced by their parents music. Who, Beatles, led zep, doors ,small faces etc.

Now, our generations kids are getting old. The britpop era, blur, pulp,oasis etc are coming back in vogue. Because that's what we had on around the house and in the car.
When I saw shed/cast last week. I saw families there.

fashion is back. I see teenagers now, Who cant resist in warm weather wearing a pull over, water proof jacket. With a huge pocket at the front. Zipped all the way up wearing a bucket hat. How we dressed back then at our school. (And the posh kids still wear the brand with Norway flag that I can't be arsed to even attempt to spell)

marvelous

@Slugjc There was an article on BBC recently about there being somewhat of a 90s revival:

My youngest son who is 14, has been through a phase of liking Oasis, Blur & Pulp, but he also likes a load of stuff I was into in the 90s like The Smashing Pumpkins, Deftones, Elliott Smith, Mercury Rev, etc. He loves The Smiths and The Cure too, which were the first bands I ever loved.

I joked with him that it never used to be cool to like your Dads music, but it has become so now. All his friends are into drill, grime, rap & songs where every other word is an expletive. If simply talking and swearing into a microphone is so popular, then I’m surprised @rob666 didn’t choose a career in it.

He played me some example of what his friends listen to, and just seconds in I couldn’t bear to listen. Not my bag at all.

Liam Gallagher has a  huge younger following. If you look at his Twitter account everyone who replies to him seem to be teenagers.

It's quite interesting because Noel is also still making music but doesnt have the same reach.

Liam sold out two nights at Knebworth on his own last year. They would need about 10 nights there if Oasis do a reunion tour.

I see Noel as the Dad. Bit strict, but grumpy says alot of random crap.

Liam is the cool uncle. That's let's you stay up late and smoke.

To be fair to Noel. At least he writes his own stuff. Liam leans on, not only his brothers writing but also other people.

I doubt Noel is too arsed about Liam doing knebworth. He is still being paid every time Liam plays an oasis track.

The reunion. As it would be great to seem I pity the people who will have to be in the band aswell. Doubt both would behave Noel certainly won't want to give Liam an inch. Liam has every right now to have his say. As his solo stuff is successful and he has done well in his own way without Noel.

Double post but it's been a while so meh,

Went to see John power do an acoustic set in Leeds Friday night. Couple of solo songs, 3 from the LA's and the usual songs from cast. Met the fella aswell at the end.

They often say don't meet ya hero's but in this case not true..only got a few seconds with him but I never thought one of the questions he would ask would be "cash or card mate?"

Liam Gallagher announces 30th anniversary tour of "Definitely Maybe": - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...initely-maybe-tour?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Obviously it's the Liam show, plus maybe Bonehead, but it should still be a fun tour nonetheless. Finishes the day before Glastonbury. Let the rumours start flying now about a reunion, once again.

I think they are in deep discussion about this already. But, couple of sticky points.

1, Liam will want more say in how the group works, he is the biggest draw of them both now. Noel was the commander in chief in what Oasis did and didn't do. Guess Liam won't want to go back to that.
2, finding musicians to work with them. No secret that being around Noel and Liam is hard work, both will want different people. Be a mess.
3, Noel doesn't really need to do it. Liam will have already needed to ask for permission to do this tour off Noel's party, as he owns the copyright. Liam hard work doing this tour and Noel will be paid.

I think there will be a long queue of other musicians willing to work with them, a very long queue.
Neither of them needs to do it, but money talks.

Remember when then that album came out. The only thing anyone wanted from it, was it to be better than be here now.

Be here now is the biggest disappointment I've ever had. Bought it in Paris, on cassette whilst on holiday. Got it in the Walkman, listened to it. Don't think I have since. Only bought the CD so I had the full oasis thing in the rack. 2p on eBay.

Remember when then that album came out. The only thing anyone wanted from it, was it to be better than be here now.

Be here now is the biggest disappointment I've ever had. Bought it in Paris, on cassette whilst on holiday. Got it in the Walkman, listened to it. Don't think I have since. Only bought the CD so I had the full oasis thing in the rack. 2p on eBay.
Yeah I remember that. I bought my copy out of Toronto Eatons while on holiday in Canada

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk