• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Broken Effects

Yes it has.

Something about someone opening the wrong valve, meaning that all the dyed water ran into a public local river, meaning they can't use the dye any more.

Indeed. I don't know whether this is correct, but I'm sure I too heard that the park get fined if they release dyed water out of the Nemesis system into local watercourses, and that in the past this has happened both out of necessity when a lot of rain has fallen (obviously if the pit fills too much there's insufficient clearance between the water and the train when at the bottom of the loop for the ride to run) and by accident. The straw that broke the camel's back was when it happened several times in a row during a period of heavy rainfall, resulting in multiple fines and the decision to not put it in at all to avoid the expense and possible harm to the environment.

I have also heard (again not sure on the accuracy) that there's something that could be added to get rid of the dye when the water level needs to be reduced, but I guess doing that could take time that the park might not have when they need to get the ride running.

My personal view is that it's not much of a loss. I know Nemesis is meant to be an alien, and therefore it could plausibly have a circulatory system that works differently to ours, but in my mind the water always looked far too pink to be believable blood. The waterfalls look plenty good enough as they are, especially the spectacular one underneath the first stall turn.

I thought there would of been an overflow storage tank. where coloured water could be stored when water level management is needed. Then one of two operations could be done, 1) Treatment for release or 2) storage for reuse.

Also, I thought the system would be set up to stop accidental release into the local watercourses.

From my very little knowledge of the system I believe there is (obviously) some kind of fail safe in the system so that upon normal operation it would be very hard to leak dyed water into the main water system.

However it appears that these were manually overridden on multiple occasions - causing serious water pollution issues.

There are several pumps that can be turned on. During normal use only the ones used for the waterfalls are ever turned on, but an additional pump, takes the water out of the pit and dumps it into a nearby stream/river. The pumps are controlled by simple toggle switches. The do get fined and it is one of the reasons they probably dont have the dye..... and the fact it costs money to keep adding it.

As far as Im aware they are controlled by the first box on the left
normal_aaa_nemesis_13.jpg

Last edited:
Hang on a minute. I understand everything said above, but how the heck did Nemesis run red dye for nearly 20 years without issue then all of a sudden it's become a problem?

Oh wait I can guess this one - morons for management! It's a shame Alton Towers can't be fined for hiring bad managers. Maybe that's a new law we need to vote for or something.

You can super chlorinate the water to remove the dye, then use a balancing agent to make it safe to drain. Wouldn't take long at all (probably as long as draining it itself).

There's ways around it, they've just taken the easy way.

I wonder if these incidents have just happened due to pumps not being labelled or any staff member just doing it. Maybe if these kind of jobs were just assigned to one or two staff members or the procedures were laid out in a stricter way they would be far less likely to ever have problems in future.

Just seems a little silly to cut out a little detail just because of a staff members human error. Sure, Towers have big fines coming their way if it happens but then surely they should be questioning how it was allowed to happen in the first place...

Wasn't the rain effect on Hex cut off due to H&S reasons behind the spreading of some disease at the time?

Sure someone will remember this in more detail, but I'm sure that's the reasoning behind that going all those years ago...

The spray mist? It was removed because it was making the entire room damp and that is bad inside a listed building.

but an additional pump, takes the water out of the pit and dumps it into a nearby stream/river.

Does anyone know why its direct in this way and not via a treatment tank as that is normal industial practice?

Nah, hosts can do it - that big box on the left which functions it has a lever to drain. So hosts not knowing what they're doing can drain the lake accidentally.
I think Dave means that only technical services are supposed to do it. :)

I always remember the funny article I think it was in the Daily Mail about how getting splashed by the water on the log flume and rapids could kill you!