• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cable Car Project to France

Seems like a complete waste of money. It's not like the crossing of the Rhine is that picturesque!

Rumours of this guy leaving Macron's office are unfounded
1163128.jpg

This is like one of those mad publicity stunts that everyone knows isn't true, only this time it is!

I'm interested to hear more details of this later on as it doesn't really seem logical at all. Maybe they are planning on a parking and transportation hub over in France? Better hope there's no FREXIT any time soon!

:)

So couple of thoughts of what we might see:
  • Car Parking - The most basic of options I know. But, considering land is very scarce over in Rust, it's certainly a possibility. Ringsheim don't want to see any of their land used for the park, and with the nature reserve between EP and the Rhine, there's little space to move car parking to allow for park/resort expansion
  • A new resort - DLP's new resort in partnership with Center Parcs - Les Villages Nature looks decent. We all know EP look for let's say "inspiration" from the mouse. Could we see something like this over in France connected by the cable car? That would tie in quite nicely with a serene ride over there I guess!
  • TGV/Train Link - This would be very long term, although everything points to this being a 5-10 year project at least anyway. Have the Macks done a deal to get France to sort out a rail link on the French side? The nearest station at the moment would be Sélestat - still too far for a cable car, but that would be a 20 minute ride to Strasbourg with trains every 10-15 minutes. That's a stark difference to the hour+ it takes with infrequent trains and a change required from Ringsheim.
I'm leaning toward some sort of resort with a link over to the theme park at the moment, with a slightly possibility of some sort of rail hub announcement as a long term plan too. I'm just hoping this announcement will put us out of our misery with more detail!

It’s gotta be somehow related to expansion, whether it be parking or re-jigging the arrival experience or park/attraction number three.

It would be good to see this somehow used to link the park with the new hotel and water park also. A shuttle bus just feels a bit meh. A permanent link via cable car would make the water park feel a lot more integrated into the rest of the resort.

I am still questioning whether this is legit though.

Just under 2 1/2 miles is the minimum distance it can be as the crow flies.

cc.jpg

Maybe it's been built to link up with the Viking River Cruises on the Rhine!!

It’s gotta be somehow related to expansion, whether it be parking or re-jigging the arrival experience or park/attraction number three.

It would be good to see this somehow used to link the park with the new hotel and water park also. A shuttle bus just feels a bit meh. A permanent link via cable car would make the water park feel a lot more integrated into the rest of the resort.

I am still questioning whether this is legit though.

The cable car is 100% legitimate as it was announced by the resort's official press account last night:

That's on top of Emmanuel Macron publicly tweeting about it last night too:

I think it's safe to say this will be a massive investment by Europa-Park, the question that needs answering is what exactly is the purpose for the cable car? It certainly can't service all guests arriving at the resort, and as others have already said it's not the most efficient of systems which makes me think there has to be a destination at the other end, not just an extended car park.

I've been having a look and it is about 3 miles from the current car parks at EP to the D468 which you would assume is the main road that any hub would be located by. That is one long and expensive cable car! I'm still truly baffled.

I suppose any form of transportation from Rulantica/Kronosar to the main hotel complex will be a piece of cake after this!

I suppose any form of transportation from Rulantica/Kronosar to the main hotel complex will be a piece of cake after this!

I'd be very surprised if this was simply an A to B cable car. My money is on the Rulantica/Kronosar area being linked over to the park entrance and then heading over the Rhine. That removes the need for an expected monorail extension over that way.

There's a local train station about 4km away and a shuttle bus service, according to the website. I have no idea what line it's on though.
That will be Ringsheim Train Station on the German side, with the 7231 Shuttle Bus to the park.

Although it would be handy to have a cable car from Ringshein Train Station to the park via Rulantica.

As mentioned the only high speed line to pass anywhere near on the French side goes through Sélestat.

That will be Ringsheim Train Station on the German side, with the 7231 Shuttle Bus to the park.

Although it would be handy to have a cable car from Ringshein Train Station to the park via Rulantica.

As mentioned the only high speed line to pass anywhere near on the French side goes through Sélestat.
Thanks, at one point I planned an Interrail trip (I didn't go in the end) and I seem to remember Europa Park being a bit of a pain to get to. Also not particularly easy to fly to IIRC.

I really don't see why this isn't a rollercoaster. It would be epic. A series of launches and airtime hills in a straight line to literally launch you into the park. It could even have a canopy for rainy days so you don't arrive drenched.

Sell a return ticket.

Plus it could be the world's longest coaster, world's first coaster to cross between two countries.

And it's exactly how I used to move people around large parks in rollercoaster Tycoon, with a mega launch coaster. It's just smart, charge more and move people faster than any cable car.

Might be a bit too intense for some guests I guess.

Thanks, at one point I planned an Interrail trip (I didn't go in the end) and I seem to remember Europa Park being a bit of a pain to get to. Also not particularly easy to fly to IIRC.

It's fairly easy thanks to Google Maps/DB app, but the issue is the time and convenience. Train wise, you'll be looking at two trains minimum to get there from anywhere useful, and they're relatively infrequent too. That's on top of the bus journey from the theme park. Being just two tracks, Ringsheim isn't built for any sort of frequent use. The station is literally two (very cold in winter!) platforms with a few seats.

Flights wise, Europa-Park isn't too bad really and there's plenty of choice nearby. The issue is the road connections to the park are pretty expensive unless you're in a large group.

I really don't see why this isn't a rollercoaster. It would be epic. A series of launches and airtime hills in a straight line to literally launch you into the park. It could even have a canopy for rainy days so you don't arrive drenched.

Sell a return ticket.

Plus it could be the world's longest coaster, world's first coaster to cross between two countries.

And it's exactly how I used to move people around large parks in rollercoaster Tycoon, with a mega launch coaster. It's just smart, charge more and move people faster than any cable car.

Might be a bit too intense for some guests I guess.

Funnily enough we've long joked about a launch coaster heading over to France from the park! That said though, with my sensible hat on, any ride of that sort would be nigh on impossible to create. The park already has restrictions on the operation of Silver Star due to noise, so anything thrill wise would be out of the question. As mentioned earlier too, there's a nature reserve directly next to the park, so large permanent structures are unlikely too. Cable cars you can tend to get away with thanks to relatively infrequent support pylons and the cable itself being so small it blends into the landscape anyway.

I can’t seem to see anywhere that this will be streamed live, however it looks like epfans.info have been invited and will be reporting all the information that is revealed at the event. It also seems like the project now has an official code name, “Projekt S”.

I think it's safe to say this will be a massive investment by Europa-Park, the question that needs answering is what exactly is the purpose for the cable car? It certainly can't service all guests arriving at the resort, and as others have already said it's not the most efficient of systems which makes me think there has to be a destination at the other end, not just an extended car park.

If the nature reserve between the park and the Rhine has some sort of legal protection then it's possible that they've opted for a cable car merely because they wouldn't be allowed to build road or rail.

They want to build a cable car that is almost six kilometers long: from Rust, the home of their amusement park, across the Rhine to the Alsatian neighboring village Diebolsheim.

In addition to parking, an eco-holiday village on the Alsatian side is planned. From there it goes emission-free in six minutes in the amusement park.

https://www.handelsblatt.com/untern...86&ticket=ST-1245625-yUMPegjasclt7HWbWTsv-ap1