• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cable Car Project to France

I didn't realise Europa was so close to France.
That was my reaction several years ago when looking it up for the first time on a map. It's insane how close the boarder is.

If it wasn't for the Rhine the park would probably be considered native to both counties, with an even split of French and German guests. Perhaps that is the reason for the cable car.

From what I saw yesterday evening it appears that this is a vision with a lot of obstacles still to hurdle. There's talk of it still being at least 5 years away.

I'm not sold on the idea at all, it's going to be a humongous spend and it's still not clear exactly what the benefits will be. It's certainly going to be an interesting one to follow over the coming years.

:)

Out of interest has the cost for this been revealed? I would have thought a cable car system would be relatively cheap, even for a 3KM one. It is not like a road or a rail way where you need to dig up and pour materials over a constant line across the landscape. Small foundations only have to be laid at set intervals for towers, very quick and cheap to do. Then towers themselves, again relatively cheap in construction terms as they are usually either steel lattice or hollow steel, then of course the cable and gondolas,and station. I can't see the costs for this being massive.

Europa Park still has the ability to amaze with the scale of their vision.

I have absolutely no idea what they even want it for. I'm not entirely convinced this isn't just some weird dream - it seems less plausible than most dreams TBH.

Out of interest has the cost for this been revealed? I would have thought a cable car system would be relatively cheap, even for a 3KM one. It is not like a road or a rail way where you need to dig up and pour materials over a constant line across the landscape. Small foundations only have to be laid at set intervals for towers, very quick and cheap to do. Then towers themselves, again relatively cheap in construction terms as they are usually either steel lattice or hollow steel, then of course the cable and gondolas,and station. I can't see the costs for this being massive.

I have no idea if this is comparable or not, but the Emirates Air Line in London cost £60 million, with £45 million of this being spent on construction.

Not sure if anyone knows how much Disney's Skyliner project is costing?

Wow, maybe I stand corrected.

Edit I found this online, this gives some insight, never would I have imagined the cost would be so high! When they say gondola, I assume they mean the system itself and not the cars that we call gondolas, just from the context they have used it in.

Perhaps most importantly when applied to Walt Disney World transportation, gondola infrastructure is (comparatively) inexpensive. The cost of building a gondola is between $3 million and $12 million per mile, as compared to $400 million per mile for subway systems (not even possible in the swamps of Florida) or $36 million per mile for light rail systems.

SOURCE: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/gondola-skyway-disney-world-rumor/

Interesting interview with Michael Mack on the cable car project here.

It confirms that it is merely a vision for now with nothing at all set in stone. The meeting with Macron really came to early for them, but it was Macron who wanted to speak with the Mack's and you do not decline an invertation with the French President!

It confirms that it is merely a vision for now with nothing at all set in stone. The meeting with Macron really came to early for them, but it was Macron who wanted to speak with the Mack's and you do not decline an invertation with the French President!
Anyone able to translate the article for us?

Interesting read that. Almost seems like Macron was a bit too enthusiastic about the project! :p

This project seems like it will be another long term project, like how Rulantica has been in the planning for years and years. Seems like the Macks wanted something to work on after all that has been completed. I wouldn’t be surprised is it takes five to ten years before this actually picks up some traction.

Equally, you not decline an invitation from the Mack’s either, so he was just getting there first!