• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cable Car Project to France

They want to build a cable car that is almost six kilometers long: from Rust, the home of their amusement park, across the Rhine to the Alsatian neighboring village Diebolsheim.

In addition to parking, an eco-holiday village on the Alsatian side is planned. From there it goes emission-free in six minutes in the amusement park.

Wow, 60kmh!

From what I saw yesterday evening it appears that this is a vision with a lot of obstacles still to hurdle. There's talk of it still being at least 5 years away.

I'm not sold on the idea at all, it's going to be a humongous spend and it's still not clear exactly what the benefits will be. It's certainly going to be an interesting one to follow over the coming years.

:)

Where is Europa getting all of their money from? This looks like an obscene project, but one that I'm sure will benefit Europa hugely when it occurs!

Where is Europa getting all of their money from? This looks like an obscene project, but one that I'm sure will benefit Europa hugely when it occurs!

From guests spending money on a premium product, not being upsold at every opportunity in a soulless, atmospherically void Merlin controlled cesspit.

There will be external contributions to this project however it seems.

There will be external contributions to this project however it seems.
Ah right; could the government of either country be among these? As it seems like a fairly large infrastructure project to me.

Ah right; could the government of either country be among these? As it seems like a fairly large infrastructure project to me.
That would be pretty awesome if it were, but I wouldn't be surprised if Europa has enough to fund this themselves. Also it's a good investment, cable cars may also attract guests that handn't heard of the park before or otherwise weren't fussed.

That would be pretty awesome if it were, but I wouldn't be surprised if Europa has enough to fund this themselves. Also it's a good investment, cable cars may also attract guests that handn't heard of the park before or otherwise weren't fussed.
I agree!

Google says the world's fastest cable car is 21.6kmph and the distance to Strasbourg is 60km.

So you could watch a full Lord of The Rings film on the journey.

Wow, 60kmh!

If these numbers are correct, and this cable car will travel twice as fast as any current cable car, is it possible Mack are interested in building it as a new prototype.

I know London has its (terribly unpopular) cable cars, and maybe there is a vision that they might be used more in cities in the future. Plus mentioning emissions free is a bit of a strange addition for a theme park attraction.

Maybe europa are thinking this could present multiple awards. Area for expansion, more hotels and car parks, and maybe sell a few cable cars to towns and cities and other parks as the new, faster, cleaner transport?

Is it not true that Europa acts partly as a showroom for Mack rides?

I live in Germany, and my principal reaction upon learning that Europa Park intend to expand into French territory, was that I hope their accountant has braced themselves. It's hard enough doing one set of tax returns here!

Even I think that they are really trying to run before they can walk. It is a huge project but perhaps they are looking for a bigger challenge to take on after Rulantica is complete. At a time where many companies are perfectly happy to stockpile money in the bank, it's great to see that Mack would rather pursue bigger, bolder ( & risky) lifetime ambitions. A permanent transit system to link Rulantica to the main park and perhaps the train station would be preferable to begin with though.

I would imagine the French government (either at nationale, regionale or départementale level) will be part-funding this. France is known for such splurges on public transport/infrastructure investment.

Is there any further news on where it will actully connect to on the French side yet?

From a few articles I’ve come across, there seems to be two possibilities for the route of the skyway.

DrUrkdtX0AAy2mO

Apparently the route starting at Diebolsheim leading to Europa is the favoured one, but if that was to be met with objections, the second route starting at Rhinau would be looked into.

The full article that the above image was taken from can be found here.

The Rhinau route looks longer, so would be more expensive.

The shorter route looks to need to cross a lot of swampy ground and wider sections of river, whereas the longer route is solid farm land; so the costs might not be so different?

The eco resort sounds like a Center Parcs tie-up, and if you look between the two towns there is a gravel quary... that is just the sort of location those holiday villages love to re-use.

The obvious reason to make such a large investment is to link to something that will generate demand.
The current site is getting resistance on expansion, so it does make you wonder if this could be preparation for another park that side of the river.

Still seems bizzar to me. Why connect to a small town with no train station?

Also, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just bulldoze what little is left of Rust and turn the whole town in to Rolandland? :p