• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Camelot - gone for good?

Jonathan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Helix <3
Has Camelot's time finally come to an end? Rumours on UKRides seem to indicate that it's closing for good. Although I've never visited, it's been known for a while that the place has been on its last legs, and rumours of its closure have been around for a long time, but will it finally happen?

This is a quote that someone from UK rides received from Park Hall/Camelot:

Park Hall/ Camelot said:
Thanks for your enquiry with regards to a Camelot break in 2013. We are very sorry to confirm that Camelot will not be opening again next year however Park Hall will be continuing to operate as normal. We are both owned and operated by different companies so the closure of Camelot will not affect the running of our Hotel.

Much of my child hood was spent at Camelot, with the Big Apple and Dragon Flyer being two of my first form of coasters. I remember being amazed by the magic show and the jousting tournament, and being knocked sick on the balloon ride. This really is a sad day if the end for Camelot has finally arrived :(

I even got my first ever driving license from Camelot!

Hopefully Knightmare will be bought up by another UK park, maybe LWV, Pleasurewood Hills, Oakwood or M&Ds. :)

Until my visit this year, this news would have saddened me more than it does. I'm more concerned about the loss of one or two of their rides than the park itself. I hope Knightmare can find a home in a UK park, with LWV my park of choice (largely for fanboyish reasons), though I'm not convinced they'd be interested. I imagine things like the log flume and dodgems could be rehoused relatively easily but I can see Dragon Flyer getting scrapped :(

As John mentioned, we had a dire visit earlier this season and I truly won't be too saddened if it does actually close this time. However, if we lose Knightmare to storage/Mexico/South America, there will be tears shed :(

As long as Knightmare stays in the UK, I think this will be good for the UK industry.

Let's face it, Camelot was the crappiest 'major' park in the country. There are too many parks in this country for its size, so one of them had to go. Hopefully, the guests that would have gone to Camelot will give a boost to Blackpool/Drayton/LWV/FL. :)

Knightmare is a Swartzkopf isn't it? I still haven't ridden it, I hope someone buys this up!

Whoever does, is next on my visit list, because every park has one coaster I fancy a go on, but are so far away it's hard to justify the trip. Add another "Black Head" to that park though and you have my cash Mr Park Owner sir!!

;D

Let's make sure we let any park owners we know, know how much it is rated and how much it needs to stay in the UK, and back that park! Well I will anyway :)

IN FACT:
I would pledge, like a crowd sourcing kind of thing, to buy a family ticket to which ever park bought it, in advance, just to make sure we kept it in this Country, and help finance a park a bit :)

Who could actually afford Knightmare/get planning permission for it? I can't see it staying. LWV are concentrating almost entirely on the holiday village by the looks of things. I guess anything could happen, but it's owned by an overseas company right? I'm assuming they'll want a new lease quickly.

Can't cost that much now surely?

Much less than a spanking new one anyway - if you had in your mind as a park, a thought for expansion, now is the time to get it I reckon.

From what I can gather it offers a different experience to most of the other coasters now around?

It's a deep shame that Camelot never received the love and budget it needed to stand on its own metaphorical feet. You could tell there was potential upon stepping into the park, Knightmare being the highlight rollercoaster, but nobody was willing to bite the bullet and invest! Such a pity.

A solitary upload in honour of Camelot.

I don't really understand why this park didn't work?

I remember when it was big, and there was lots of excitement about the place - though I have never been.

Another American Adventure it seems unfortunately.

Was location the issue? I believe it isn't a million miles away from Blackpool is it?

Not incredibly surprised - much like with American Adventure and Granada Studios (rumoured to make a comeback ironically!), these parks were only at their peak whilst run by Granada themselves.

It would be great to see Knightmare at Lightwater tbh - it would make a great replacement perhaps for the mouse coaster perhaps?

Knightmare for Pleasurewood please! PWH can become a museum for Schwarzkopfs ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

If another UK park buys Knightmare, I promise I'll buy an annual pass to that park. :)

Honestly, Knightmare is great, but I didn't like having to visit Camelot to ride it. If it goes to another park and seriously boosts their line-up, that can only be a good thing. :)

TheMan said:
I don't really understand why this park didn't work?

I remember when it was big, and there was lots of excitement about the place - though I have never been.

Another American Adventure it seems unfortunately.

Was location the issue? I believe it isn't a million miles away from Blackpool is it?

Primarily it suffered from being geographically smack bang between Alton and Blackpool and a lack of investment.

We all just want it at our local park hahahah!!

KNIGHTMARE FOR DRAYTON MANOR PLEASE

;D

Be great to see someone take over the park (Not Merlin!) and make a great fist of it.

Maybe we should crowd source it as enthusiasts? Aim for 20 million and build the best B&M in the country there too! Whilst we're at it, pick up a certain old jetstar and whack a tent over it lol!

I tell you, if I had the money I'd do it tomorrow.

I'd honestly rather have Merlin buy the place than leave it to rot. It's fallen into such a state that Merlin would have to invest in it if they owned it.

Have we had any confirmation of closure yet? I'd hate to see this as scaremongering as it'd do more damage than good.