• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Camelot - gone for good?

From PWHSocial on Unofficial Pleasurewood:

"We're looking into the ride sales of Camelot park. Nothing can be confirmed yet"

Last thing of which Granada once took hold of bites the dust - is there anything that Granada used to own, which hasn't gone tits up/struggled majorly since ownership? American Adventure, Camelot, Granada Studios, Little Chef..

From Screamscape:

(11/9/12) Whatever the future holds for the site of the Camelot theme park, reopening again as an amusement attraction does not seem to be in the cards. The owners of the park site, who bought it back in 2009 when Camelot first closed, had originally planned to build about 1000 new homes on the site before a new management group came in to reopen the park once again.
With the park now closed once again, it looks like the owners will proceed ahead with plans to redevelop and repurpose the site once again, and are looking into what the best use for the site will be in today’s market.

:(

Great pics, there's something spooky and sad about abandoned theme parks.

And I'll be very disappointed if he didn't go down those slides in the snow.

cpWjw25.jpg

R.I.P. the cred I rode on specifically so that Th13teen would be my 100th. :(

Blaze said:
Great pics, there's something spooky and sad about abandoned theme parks.

And I'll be very disappointed if he didn't go down those slides in the snow.

I was thinking that dude!

KEPOW!

ScreenShot2013-01-20at204232.png

;D

Very sad for another park to be in this state though. That entrance looks incredible, and I've never been.

It is a shame, it was a great park when I was a child. I remember queuing for The Beast (later re-themed to venom) for an hour with my Dad and loved it it was a great dark ride.

Picture of it mountain-less
Camelot27.JPG

Came across a promo video for Camelot from 1989 showing The Beast and their greatest ride Tower Of Terror. So many memories.

Camelot official Promotion Video 1989.mpg

TheMan said:
Very sad for another park to be in this state though. That entrance looks incredible, and I've never been.

The entrance area was the best part of the park (mainly as it served as the exit)... The exterior was good though, shame about the interior of that castle...

Three rides are leaving Camelot to go to various Gulliver's parks. Spotted by Martyn B on CF.

ukrides.info said:
When, I got home, I looked through a Gulliver's Guide that I picked up and what do we have here; 9 New Rides and Attractions for 2013 (3 at each park). 3 of which are ex-Camelot rides!

Pendragon's Plunge (3 Water slides) is going to Gulliver's World Matlock Bath
Falcon's Flight (Spinning Balloon ride) is going to Gulliver's World Milton Keynes
Caterpillar Capers (Caterpillar Coaster) is going to Gulliver's World Warrington

Curious about how they're going to move Pendragon's Plunge, it's very heavily landscaped!

Gullivers Matlock Bath is built on a hillside, they shouldn't have too much trouble with it, though some landscaping may be required to get the gradient right.

This one park I will miss mainly for the jousting show, and dragon flyer roller coaster. Knightmare I would love to see it go to pleasure beach, best place to put that would be where steeple chase is. The last time I visited the was in 2011 just riding dragon flyer, whirlwind Excalibur 2 and knightmare.
Would loved merlin to have bought it and bring it back upto date

Dungeons master said:
This one park I will miss mainly for the jousting show, and dragon flyer roller coaster. Knightmare I would love to see it go to pleasure beach, best place to put that would be where steeple chase is.

I don't disagree with you on the removal of Steeplechase, but Knightmare at BPB? It'd be a desperate move IMO, really desperate. It's over 25 years old and has already been relocated once.

DiogoJ42 said:
Knightmare needs to go to Lightwater.

*sigh* a guy can dream.

Nope, they are buying an Angry Birds park for £1m I think it is.

Also, you'd have thought Merlin might like to buy Camelot?...

I wonder if they were subject to planning regulations as strict as their other parks, being serious a moment. Perhaps it is an opportunity missed.

Camelot could have been turned into a mini Legoland theme park for the North. No big rides to annoy the neighbours, just a loads of small rides for kids with a nice amount of theming.

Is the land still up for sale?

I dont think the land was for sale, the owners have wanted to turn it into a housing estate for years, and I guess that's what they're now going to do.

BigAl said:
Camelot could have been turned into a mini Legoland theme park for the North. No big rides to annoy the neighbours, just a loads of small rides for kids with a nice amount of theming.

Is the land still up for sale?

Lordy said:
I dont think the land was for sale, the owners have wanted to turn it into a housing estate for years, and I guess that's what they're now going to do.

This is my impression also, I believe they have been trying for a few years to scrap Camelot and build houses on it.

Very sad I didn't get to visit the place. I think the theme idea is brilliant and don't understand quite why it didn't work. When I was a nipper I remember the adverts for it, and the place was very exciting, but never got taken there.

The American Adventure was always cheaper (offers galore always) and closer. A shame that place was beset with problems too, that had something special about it.