• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Can a roller coaster ever be too smooth?

Can a roller coaster ever be too smooth?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. @Ethan made a really interesting comment in the Nemesis thread earlier today:
The smoothness of Nemesis is about right now, it was way too smooth in previous years, however now it whips you over some of the inversions a bit more aggressively and I like that
(Hope you don’t mind me using your comment as inspiration, Ethan!)

Admittedly, I imagine that some of you are perplexed as to how Ethan’s comment is relevant, but it is relevant, because when I read it, it got me thinking; can a coaster ever be too smooth? Enthusiasts often complain about roughness, and say that it detracts from a ride, but can it work the other way? Can smoothness detract from a ride as well, in your opinion?

I’ve heard numerous people argue that they feel a ride can be too smooth.

For instance, I’ve heard Shawn Sanbrooke of TPW say this a number of times, such as in the context of the retracked Colossos at Heide Park (“It’s too smooth; it doesn’t feel enough like a wooden coaster”), and some of the RMCs in America (Shawn used the criticism of “too smooth” for both Iron Rattler and Lightning Rod in the front, from memory, and said that they felt “very tame”, even referring to them as “feeling like family coasters”). I remember in the same park as Iron Rattler, he also praised the mine train next to it for being a bit rough/jolty; I think he actually liked the mine train more than Iron Rattler because of this.

Away from Shawn, I remember hearing the PBE crew say the same about B&M hypers; the main criticism was that they lack character, and I remember Scott saying that B&M hypers are generally “boring”, and would be enhanced by “a Magnum-style triangle hill” or “a jolty Arrow-style transition or two” to really throw you around.

In terms of someone closer to me, my dad is often bemused that I like Mako at SeaWorld Orlando, a smooth hyper, so much; he says that it’s “too smooth to feel thrilling” and is just “a boring, slow ride back to the station” after the first drop. However, in terms of the other hyper we’ve ridden, the Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach; my dad loves that and holds it up as one of his favourite ever rides, saying that it’s “one of the most insane things [he’s] ever done” and that it has “such an amazing sense of adrenaline and danger about it”. Dad also said to me after a ride on Smiler “I don’t know how you can rank tripe like Mako and Icon above that; that’s one of the most insane things ever!”.

As for me personally, my answer is no. A ride can never be too smooth, in my personal opinion. My very favourite coaster, Mako, was exciting as anything to me, what with the phenomenal sustained airtime and great sense of speed, but it was also smooth as glass, with some of the most comfortable ride restraints I’ve ever sat in. As much as my love of the ride was almost entirely shaped by the amazing elements of the layout itself, that smoothness and comfort was the cherry on top for me! Smoothness is a pretty important element of coasters for me; if a ride is rough, I often find it can inhibit the fun factor and rerideability, which are the two crucial things I look for in a coaster.

But what’s your opinion? Do you agree with me in thinking that a ride can never be too smooth, or do you think I’m talking rubbish, and that a good ride needs to be a bit rough round the edges?

I believe they can be too smooth and the example I cite is from Thorpe Park circa 2003-04 when Colossus and Nemesis Inferno were the 2 big coasters at the park but both were also pretty new (1-2 years old). I remember riding Nemesis Inferno for the 1st time and being very disappointed, instead rating Colossus as the better of the 2 experiences. Colossus was undoubtedly also the rougher of the two experiences, and I think a lot of the initial lack of force felt on Inferno was due to how smooth it was when it first opened. It was such a smooth ride that it felt quite feasible you could eat your lunch on there. Over the years, Colossus got rougher to the point where anywhere behind the front train was not a pleasant ride, but Inferno too has gotten far rougher with age to the point where now it is probably as rough as Colossus when that first opened. Coincidentally, Inferno now packs far more of a punch force wise that it did when it opened.

I think a lot of this comes down to personal opinion, some like to feel thrown around by a coaster, others like a buttery smooth experience. But I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of enthusiasts feel B&M coasters get better with age, and B&M is the manufacturer that historically has made the smoothest big coasters.

The majority of RMCs are scarily glass smooth. I don't know a single person who has been on an RMC and doesn't have at least one in their top ten, so their smoothness is not an issue.

Lech is also the perfect testament of the new Vekomas being sensationally smooth, yet has more outrageous intensity than an extensive plethora of coasters.

Ridiculously smooth coasters are amongst the best on the planet, so no, there's no such thing as too smooth.

Can I clarify @Matt N I do not like rough rides. Rough rides are those that bang your head and just feel uncomfortable and not nice. However you can have crazy rides that throw you around in a good way. The smiler is a prime example of that. A lot of enthusiasts don't like the ending of the ride, which I agree isn't the smoothest, however the feeling of being completely out of control is amazing and something I love about a coaster. What I meant with regards to the smoothness comment about Nemesis, I feel that given how smooth it used to be meant that it really lacked that out of control feeling. However with age it's began to whip you over the inversions a bit more, which I personally love.

This what makes RMC so special. They're smooth as anything but you get thrown about like a ragdoll.

Steel Vengeance left me slightly out of breath on the brake run each time (I'm a fatty and smoker in fairness) because you're constantly bracing against the aggressive transitions.

I hate rough coasters, they're utterly pointless and often means they've not been maintained very well.

Edit to add: don't mind a rough woodie though

Last edited:
Smoothness isn't an issue per se, but when it's accompanied by lumbering like modern B&Ms it adds to the disappointment.