• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Can anyone help me?

Vicki

TS Member
So, just posted on the I Feel Happy topic that I'm starting the Prince's Trust Team Programme next month. Part of it is a 1 week residential away, at an outdoor activity place.

I've never done anything like this before. We'll be doing things like climbing, abseiling, caving, archery etc. The caving/climbing/abseiling I think will be at an indoor place.

Does anyone have any tips for certain activities? Also, I'm scared of heights, how on earth am I going to abseil in particular? Stepping off a nice, solid ledge, oooh that'll be tough!

So yeah, help me not make a fool of myself, please! :)

Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.....It is natural to have slight feelings of anxiety at this point, just relax and prepare for a pleasurable experience......just stay calm, it will all be over quicker than you expect.

:D

Abseiling is ok because you don't look at the ground! But it is really weird. Its on odd feeling to be walking over the side of a ledge. But remember that there is all the safety equipment there and if you just let go of the rope you will stay there.

I would suggest that you won't be forced to do anything that you don't want to do.

Just remember the lots of people that have commented on here about being scared to ride coasters. Normally when they finally go on them they enjoy it.

I can relate with you on the abseiling, I'm scared of heights and I've done lots of activities like that before. Just remember that you won't be forced into anything you don't want to do, just go up to the abseil point, and try standing there and if you don't like that you can always go back down.

Caving is great fun, just make sure you're with people you like otherwise they can become a bit intolerable when you're all stuck together.

:)

I have a fear of falling (and the pain at the end of it). I have done abseiling, a few times. My thoughts on it.

If you decide to go for it. take deep breaths, clear your mind to concentrate on the instructions.
If you look down over the ledge, it game over.
You will have 2 ropes attached, one is the abseil rope, the other is a (just in case you panic) safety line
When you lean into the abseil, every cell in your body will shout "No don't do it, it unnatural"

But once you done it, you may want to do it again.

Poison Tom 96 said:
Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.....It is natural to have slight feelings of anxiety at this point, just relax and prepare for a pleasurable experience......just stay calm, it will all be over quicker than you expect.

:D

That's from the Oblivion videos isn't it? Don't get me started on that ride haha! Never gonna get a photo with my eyes open on that thing! :D

delta79 said:
I have a fear of falling (and the pain at the end of it). I have done abseiling, a few times. My thoughts on it.

If you decide to go for it. take deep breaths, clear your mind to concentrate on the instructions.
If you look down over the ledge, it game over.
You will have 2 ropes attached, one is the abseil rope, the other is a (just in case you panic) safety line
When you lean into the abseil, every cell in your body will shout "No don't do it, it unnatural"

But once you done it, you may want to do it again.

Delta, I'm going for it, I'm going to try everything just to say I have. Must remember the bit in bold though, it's spot on for me!

Weirdly enough, at 35,000 feet in a plane, I'm fine. Even at 2,000 feet in a light aircraft, I was fine. Strange.