• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cariba Additions?

Well look at PortAventura as a prime example. They recently expanded their waterpark, which was VERY small, and was packed. It all felt very cluttered, and compacted. I stayed 2 hours, then left. I didn't like it at all. I returned, this year with the new expansion. Have to say, I loved it. It was very busy, however it could now perform better, with more slides and people spread out across the waterpark. Although, it is warm out there, and waterparks are loved out in Spain, the UK is lacking good, maintained, good looking waterparks, and personally I only see Alton Towers as not being a dirty waterpark. Waterworld, is disgusting. It's all compacted; I hate everything about the place. Alton should learn from how PA are currently doing things with their waterpark. Although, they didn't theme the waterslides towers, they have a huge chance at really becoming a European Destination more, if they expand the waterpark. With the right marketing, which the current marketing director at Towers is doing brilliant after The Smiler's successful bringing, the waterpark could really turn into something big for the park. It would bring more people in for day trips to the park, which I remember back in 2004 I use to do with my family, not so much anymore as nothing is wanting me to go back, but they could then with that, advertise more about the hotels, bringing people back to stop the night. Then, you have the theme park as an extra.

It's a shame really, as it’s mainly down to Merlin that things don't progress. For example, in an interview, John Wardley said himself, there has to be some sort of key factor, like a gimmick. And waterpark gimmicks are very difficult, such as world’s firsts and things. I'd say, that’s the way it worth’s with the waterpark too.

It seems at the moment, all 'theme park' when really it should be that the Waterpark gets a new addition every 3 years, too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact the theme park is getting better and is being expanded with new additions, but at the same time it's horrible seeing the waterpark suffer.

I'd wish too, that they would stay open at least until 8pm daily. And 9.30pm during Scarefest and Fireworks. Once again, look at PortAventura as example, they recently had another white night, but for the waterpark instead, keeping it open until 1am. And that is OUTDOOR?! Alton's is mainly indoor, so what excuse is there? Certainly not the fact it gets cold. I do understand, even keeping the theme park or waterpark open for 30 minutes extra, costs a bomb, but they could test the waters with it? See how it goes by keeping it open later?

Or just get Alton to take one look at Siam Park, if they take a leaf out of their book then ill be happy!

Pricey. said:
Or just get Alton to take one look at Siam Park, if they take a leaf out of their book then ill be happy!

But why would they? North Staffordshire has nothing like the climate that Siam Park has the luxury of having so an expansion of that size would be pointless. Nor would expansion of that magnitude from what it is now be practical or easy to pull off.

I'm generally quite happy with Cariba as it is. Perhaps one new slide would be nice and some general improvements here and there but nothing on the scale of a major waterpark like Siam Park or PA's. :)

I was referring more to thee way they theme their pools and slides even the newest additions o everything looks like it should be there, looking at some of the plans for slides for Cariba thy seem like they've been squeezed in or just look like they shouldn't be there.

Surely it's finally time to expand the waterpark. It's sold out most days, featuring more in advertising, as well as more of a presence on the website.

The technology and flumes within the industry has changed hugely since it first opened. As a result you are able to get more bang for your bucks.

Is there even space for much of an expansion, I'd imagine it would be easy to expand the outside section but could you increase the size of the main building, has there ever even been any plans for expansions?

As far as I know, there haven't been plans to expand the Waterpark for some time, and I don't know if there ever have been.

There was a plan a few years ago to add a funnel type slide, you would enter indoors (near the door out to the outside slides) and the slide would exit into the outdoor pool.

They really do need to expand but I can't see how they could easily, maybe use some of the outdoor area particularly the longer space closer to the hotel rooms?

Cariba Creek has got to take the award for most stagnant merlin product.
Its never changed ride line up since it opened.

Its a lesson in mediocrity for the world. People come and pay so why do anything more that might require some finance or effort.

Merlin would sooner sit on their hands (and wallet) than do anything to push the waterpark into anything other than uninspiring, boring, repetitive, average, mess that it is.

It says a lot when the only additions have been a spa room and a change of place to eat so they can make more money and neither fit the theme of the water park. Go figure.

Its one of the few things at Towers Id like to see on fire.

There have been several ideas over the years although nothing planned or drawn out, most substantial things I've heard of is the slide mentioned above and a new kids water section, neither have come to happen.

An expansion would be ideal but I'm not so sure if it's possible at all. They could extend the indoor section by demolishing the current outdoor section and covering that over with a new indoor extension. Then create an outdoor area that extends to where there are woods currently. I'm not sure if that's possible though as it would involve making major structural changes to the current building, cutting down a lot of trees, moving back the hotel access roads that run behind the waterpark and also relocating out buildings that sit behind the waterpark. It seem nigh on impossible.

The only realistic thing I would see happening if Towers really required waterpark expansion would be just a new waterpark entirely and the resort having two operating waterparks. It sells out most days as it stands now so I cannot see any expansions being looked at for the foreseeable future.

For now updating/removing current waterpark features, building new ones and looking at new slides is the way to go.

Would they be able to build on the undeveloped land/back area, so effectively having the outside section In-between the two indoor areas. That is the only real opportunity, they could obviously simply expand the outdoor pools or add outdoor slides, the later I'd imagine not be very popular most of the year.

Surely the joy of water slides is that as they are covered, they can be tucked away outside? You only need the start and end of them to be inside. Just do what Sandcastle did, build a tiny extention with a new tower.

I was thinking it wouldn't be much fun having to exit the pool to climb a tower structure in the freezing weather to go down the slide, if you could enter the tower from the pool directly, like you can go outside from the current park that's would be ok.

Expansion possibilities:
Build over the existing outdoor rides
Further towards the woods, running parallel with the conference centre
^this but then build along side the woods to make an L shape encompassing the exiting outdoor slides
Covering the patio area*

--
* - it may be a tad close to the rooms, but presently the bars and lobby look into the waterpark and many look onto the outdoor area.

--

There is space if they wanted it. Personally Id prefer more indoor rides, and to lose the current outdoor sections. They barely open and there is little demand, keep them as is, pop a giant heated pool outside if needs be. Done.

Surely the joy of water slides is that as they are covered, they can be tucked away outside? You only need the start and end of them to be inside. Just do what Sandcastle did, build a tiny extention with a new tower.
I was sort of thinking that too, Rush and Rampage are both like that, start inside and finish inside with the pipe outside. So as long as they can build a decent pool to splash into they could add more slide pipes.

Cariba Creek has got to take the award for most stagnant merlin product.
Its never changed ride line up since it opened.

Its a lesson in mediocrity for the world. People come and pay so why do anything more that might require some finance or effort.

Disney's Blizzard Beach has never really had any additions to it over the 20 years or so and Typhoon Lagoon has only added the Crush'n'Gusher masterblasters. Disney are also very good at the "if they come to it anyway, why make additions" school of thinking.

Disney's Blizzard Beach has never really had any additions to it over the 20 years or so and Typhoon Lagoon has only added the Crush'n'Gusher masterblasters. Disney are also very good at the "if they come to it anyway, why make additions" school of thinking.

That's true, but the difference is disney built at the time the near perfect water park, able to cope in excess of 3 million visitors a year. Disney overall haven't really added anything for a number of years until quite recently. Which thankfully is slowly starting to change at WDW.

Alton water park is bursting at its seams, wasn't it initially only meant for hotel guests, if so I'm hardly surprised It always sold out.

If only we were talking about a Disney water park with a large attraction and ride base and significantly better upkeep.

Expand the Waterpark?

Are you insane?

Expansion! Pah! Cloud Cuckoo Land!