• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cariba Additions?

The main issue with the waterpark/hotel is how it was originally designed, its not really got anywhere to expand. If they had planned it well they could have left room around it to expand but there really isn't. You have the bars/restaurants on one side, the conference centre/ATH on the other, all the hotel rooms on the other side and then woods and a rather steep drop at the back.

The only thing you could do is try change the layout inside, but its rather tight already in there. So the best thing to do would be outside. You could expand outside into the seating area that I have never seen used. I would extend the inside near the top of flash floods, with more slides, and then expend the outdoor pools more towards the hotel rooms, removing the smaller outside pools and slides.

They could extend underneath? That'd be sweet. Like some sort of underground cave kind of extension, with a multiple pool lazy river drop into it.

Massive budget for that though, just Rip up the foundations us know? How hard can it be? ;)

I recently had a bit of a discussion with one of my mates about Splash Water Park. The discussion went on around the idea of 'How do you add a new attraction in there, on the cheep, and without extending the building?

I just found this waterslide installed in Germany and thought, "That is exactly what Merlin could do". It would make the 2 boring short slides new again, (even though they wouldnt be suitable for epaleptics.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/06/amazing-led-black-hole-slide-looks-like-a-wormhole/

watertunnel-620x349.jpg

Some of the comparisons in this thread are a little baffling, Cariba isn't designed to be a standalone water park, it's there to help sell the hotel - it's able to perform that task pretty well without a ton of cap ex.

Some of the comparisons in this thread are a little baffling, Cariba isn't designed to be a standalone water park, it's there to help sell the hotel - it's able to perform that task pretty well without a ton of cap ex.

I would agree with you ten years ago, especially in the first year or two of Splash Landings opening when the water park was only open to hotel guests. But now it is prominently featured in the website menu and is being sold to everyone equally.

I would agree with you ten years ago, especially in the first year or two of Splash Landings opening when the water park was only open to hotel guests. But now it is prominently featured in the website menu and is being sold to everyone equally.
Everything is featured more prominently on the website than it was 10 years ago. Do you remember that website?! It serves a purpose and it serves it well - there's no point not advertising it.

It's not being marketed as as second-gate water park, it's very rarely marketed as its own entity. It's being marketed in a way that allows as much revenue as possible to be generated using the existing infrastructure.

The expectation is very much that it's a bolt on to another activity, in the same way that Tree Top Quest is.

Everything is featured more prominently on the website than it was 10 years ago. Do you remember that website?! It serves a purpose and it serves it well - there's no point not advertising it.

It's not being marketed as as second-gate water park, it's very rarely marketed as its own entity. It's being marketed in a way that allows as much revenue as possible to be generated using the existing infrastructure.

The expectation is very much that it's a bolt on to another activity, in the same way that Tree Top Quest is.

I don't see that expectation, The website here http://www.altontowers.com/things-to-do/waterpark/#waterpark-intro links to here http://www.altontowers.com/book-my-trip/tickets/?waterpark where I can buy single day water park tickets, no need to book anything else, so it is very easy to visit the waterpark only. Thats my point, its not how hidden it was on the old website, its how it is marketed as a water park now, not a swimming pool for the hotel, which is closer to how they marketed it ten years ago.

^ We're arguing the same point. It performs that purpose - of course it does, why would you not create the opportunity for that to happen. But... that's not its primary function, its primary function is to serve as bolt on to the hotels.

The web page structure is exactly the same for Extraordinary Golf. Another bolt on.

Given that when Extraordinary Golf opened they moved the monorail queue to go past it and it is advertised extensively in the theme park I think it is aimed more as a bolt-on to day guests than hotel guests. I still see the water park now as a second gate at AT rather than just another thing at the hotel. The whole way they market it has changed.

Sorry to bump a two year old thread, but I just wanted to say that I think the water park an aspect of Alton Towers that is really falling behind compared to other competitors worldwide and even in the UK. I only visited Cariba Creek once, and that was back in 2009 when I first visited Towers in general. I don't really remember much other than the queues being long and there not being much to do slides-wise, but my parents both said they didn't like it much at all and wouldn't go back. In fact, when Cariba was nominated for Best Indoor Waterpark in the 2015 Golden Ticket Awards, my Dad actually said to me "There can't be many indoor water parks then."

I personally feel that with the new slides they have installed this year, the Center Parcs that me and my family visit in Longleat each year actually has a superior water park offering to Alton Towers. In fact, I actually think that Center Parcs are currently the UK industry leaders when it comes to water parks, even though they aren't aiming to be. Take note, Alton. This is how a water park should be run. Granted, I haven't ridden the new slides yet, but I will be in December, and come on, a ProSlide Tornado and a ProSlide little-funnel-thingy like Omocka Rocka at Aquatica is pretty damn exciting for a UK waterpark.

I reckon that a large raft slide, akin to a ProSlide Tornado, would really suit Cariba in my opinion. Or maybe one of those drop pod slides, because Ihu's at Aquatica was a brilliant slide! Anything is good as long as it's something.

So, what do you guys think should be done in the waterpark? Oh, and sorry for the long post. I've had to say that a lot lately! :oops:

I think there is more chance of SW9 being a cross valley woodie than any form of waterpark expansion happening in the next 10 years!

I've not been to the waterpark for a long time now and to be honest have no desire to return any time soon. It can be nice and relaxing but more often than not the place is rammed and therefore it becomes somewhat less enjoyable.

:)

I think there is more chance of SW9 being a cross valley woodie than any form of waterpark expansion happening in the next 10 years!

I've not been to the waterpark for a long time now and to be honest have no desire to return any time soon. It can be nice and relaxing but more often than not the place is rammed and therefore it becomes somewhat less enjoyable.

:)
As sad as that sounds, I'm starting to think that may be true. We can still hope!

Has anyone ever given thought to the idea of a brand new purpose built water park at Alton Towers?
That's a good idea actually. Why don't they build an indoor Aquatica or Volcano Bay? Or failing that, why don't they build something similar to Center Parcs' waterparks? They're good fun!

That's a good idea actually. Why don't they build an indoor Aquatica or Volcano Bay? Or failing that, why don't they build something similar to Center Parcs' waterparks? They're good fun!

Merlin.

To be honest, I don't think they'd get planning permission for a huge new waterpark anyway.

2 new hotels and general public opening since the waterpark first opened. No expansions in that time and reduced opening of the outside area. In addition I've heard the hot bubbly wubbly pool outside is no longer and is just as cold now as the other pools so little kids can go in there.

I don't bother with the waterpark anymore, it's too small, too expensive and the water is actually quite cold!!!

2 new hotels and general public opening since the waterpark first opened. No expansions in that time and reduced opening of the outside area. In addition I've heard the hot bubbly wubbly pool outside is no longer and is just as cold now as the other pools so little kids can go in there.

I don't bother with the waterpark anymore, it's too small, too expensive and the water is actually quite cold!!!

Agree on all points.

I used to love Cariba Creek in its first few years of opening, and while it had never been up to the spec of outdoor parks abroad, it was definitely fun and relaxing. Fond memories of doing a long summer's day in the park, then coming back to relax in the outoor pool and hot tub, get a drink (or 10) at the bar.

Wouldn't touch the place now.