• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: CBeebies Land

I rather like the theming in Mutiny Bay, theres some nice pieces in there - but its the building situation that was rather uninspired.

I agree I quite like Mutiny Bay. I actually feels like an area. Dark Forest especially with the scaffolding is horrible nowadays already. I always find it feels claustrophobic and cramped too, but not in a themed way, just in a crap way.

Mutiny Bay feels like quite a 'complete' area.

Cloud Cuckoo Land wasn't too bad, it brought life into a dead area, although I feel since Ice Age has been there it feels like a very disjointed area, when you have that and Charlie near the entrance it makes the area feel like it has three themes not working together at all. There's no consistency.

Dark Forest, you don't even need to say anything, the area just shows you how not to do a re-theme. The worst re-theme in Merlin history, and half of it is gone from Th13teen, where the once green (turned blue) fake vines shrouded the building all you see now is screws and holes where they were once held in. The only thing that I like in that area is the Dark Forest entrance sign. Apart from that the rest should just be bulldozed over. The one year they have a chance to completely change the face and infrastructure of the area and they instead decide to cover it in green paint and cheap fake vines that stayed green but turned blue after a month... nice one!

Merlin haven't created any re-themes that have made me go 'wow' and in cases like the Dark Forest it has ruined areas rather than improved them. I trust the BBC to be working with Merlin/Alton closely to ensure this is a top quality re-theme (they will not want their brand damaged). However I will not get too excited as we know how IPs can flop at Towers. I remain dubious about this being any good, but I hope I'm surprised with what we see in 2014.

It helps that the flume is off away from the bulk of Mutiny Bay but it is out of place.

As for CBeebies, there is obviously no new rides so hopefully that means money can go on theming. I just tend not to get too hopeful as Towers haven't themed anything really well since Sharkbait Reef

^ I think that if the smiler had a real story to it (like why you are there, why it has been built etc) it could have been brilliant, but merlin being merlin, chose the cheeper, easier option of not bothering, and this is why I am also not hopeful for cbeebies land :( (why couldn't they just give the farm a lick of paint and that, would have much preferred that! :()

jackandylan123 said:
why couldn't they just give the farm a lick of paint and that, would have much preferred that! :()

Because that wouldn't really get anyone through the gate like a new IP area will. They need a kids IP area to compete what is already in the UK market. Towers are currently lagging behind here.

:)

jackandylan123 said:
^ I think that if the smiler had a real story to it (like why you are there, why it has been built etc) it could have been brilliant, but merlin being merlin, chose the cheeper, easier option of not bothering, and this is why I am also not hopeful for cbeebies land :( (why couldn't they just give the farm a lick of paint and that, would have much preferred that! :()

Thing is the Smiler does have a story:

- You are there to be corrected
- Correction will make you smile
- Smiling leads to conformity

Roller coasters don't lend themselves to complex stories, where The Smiler failed is they haven't actually done a great job on theming. What is there of the Marmaliser is good and it's size is impressive but that's all that is there (bar some chevrons) and it's missing parts itself (like the planned casing around the screens).

One big 2/3rds complete theming element does not a themed experience make.

They need to look at expanding their depth of theming, adding more and truly engrossing the guest in a unique environment. It's not complex stories that do that (unless it's a dark ride) it's damn good theming!

There is no more story to Nemesis than The Smiler, but that story is translated into a themed environment, the Smiler doesn't manage that. CBeebies needs to put theming at it's heart because if Towers don't start taking theming seriously then what sets it apart from the local fair?

As I've said many times, a Chuckle Vision dark ride would make CBeebies land.

OK, what I meant in what i said is the fact that the smiler doesn't really give the public any reason why there is a random mechanical spider in the middle of a ride and why things are saying stuff like "get corrected", I mean, we will look into it more, yes, but even people I know keep asking me stuff like why there is a random spider ;)

and yes rob, I know, I'm not THAT stupid ;) just saying how the farm has a good atmosphere (from the ten mins i've ever spent there ;)) and how I wish it stayed instead of yet more yellow coming to the park :(

jackandylan123 said:
and yes rob, I know, I'm not THAT stupid ;) just saying how the farm has a good atmosphere (from the ten mins i've ever spent there ;)) and how I wish it stayed instead of yet more yellow coming to the park :(

Oh I agree with that, I loved the farm! The farm was fantastic, it did have a really nice atmosphere and was one of the few areas of Towers where you really could just get away from things. I do fear that some of this will be lost with CBeebies land, but I do understand why they are doing it.

:)

I have just seen many pages of people agreeing with each other, which is nice!

To summarise:

- We love the Farm, it's chilled, & are hoping CBeebies Land doesn't completely destroy its charm.
- Ice Age/Charlie stick out a bit.
- Dark Forest is crap
- Mutiny Bay/Sharkbait is pretty much Merlin's best theme attempt on park.
- The Smiler is about 2/3rds themed. Chevrons make no sense.
- Nelson Mandela was a great man.

All of which leads to the conclusion that none of us have any idea how well or badly they will do the re theme, and other than hoping they don't ruin one of the more charming areas of the park, no one is really all that passionate about it.

Though, if they get a Chuckle Bro's attraction that will rock!

"TO ME, TO YOU, TO ME, TO YOU"

My reservations are that it feels like they started the process by thinking "we need a children's area, where can we put it?" rather than thinking "where in the park needs attention and what can we do to refresh it?".

A new land should address both these questions, not one or the the other

I'm quite intrigued to see how extensive this retheme is going to be; surely the BBC will want to keep the area up to date with the CBeebies programming. So are we going to see the main pathways and amenities become fairly neutral, allowing for the individual attractions to become self contained in their own right?

The past few rethemes have lacked continuity (painting everything green doesn't really tie an area together on any level deeper than aesthetics). I just fear, once again, Merlin may shy away from creating a truly immersive area in favour of creating a somewhat sterile environment to house individual attractions.

Fingers crossed they are being far more imaginative than that!

TheMan said:
Though, if they get a Chuckle Bro's attraction that will rock!

"TO ME, TO YOU, TO ME, TO YOU"

I see a kids pirate ship themed like some sort of large cardboard box which exclaim "to me" and "to you" when you reach the peak.

It would rock... back and fourth. (Im sorry for that pun).

I would love a Chuckle Brother's attraction but unfortunately this is on CBBC, not Cbeebies. :(

I wonder if eye spy riverbank will become Andy's wild adventure.

No, I have a massive hunch that "In The Night Garden" will take over Riverbank Eye Spy's theme, and that it'll probably be marketed as the area's main attraction.

thinking about it, I wonder if KIP1

Would make Andy's wild adventures more suited for the retheming of Squirrel Nutty Ride?