• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: CBeebies Land

AstroDan said:
electricBlll said:
Tom.B said:
Call me dumb, but what's multi sensory?
A marketing buzzword.

And I have three sheds in my garden, maybe all the children should come to me!

Yes, it's easy to be cynical, but you could tell not much imagination was going into this project from the moment plans were released. The public will only get out as much as they put in.

Actually, multi-sensory isn't a marketing buzzword.

I work in a school, and we have a multi-sensory room in there for children with moderate to severe learning difficulties. This is exactly what Mr. Tumble is all about. Things for children to touch, smell, see and hear. Learning through play and experience.

The entire area is going to link precisely with CBeebies. The BBC are controlling a vast amount of what is going on here. "Imagination" or not.

Oh, and here's me originally thinking that it was censoring things, or having sensors which trigger things, like in HH. lol

The notion that because it's aimed at children with special needs means it doesn't necessitate as much creativity seems a bit backwards to me.

Also there are other elements to Something Special other than sheds, which seemingly don't appear in that promo image which suggest they aren't going to use them. I used to catch glimpses of CBeebies when my younger sisters watched it, and it doesn't seem to have translated into a theme park area particularly 'fully' so far - if that's the right way of putting it?

AstroDan said:
Actually, multi-sensory isn't a marketing buzzword.
Well, yes I know what the term actually means - but what I mean is, the use of that word doesn't guarantee anything of much substance. Anyway, I'll wait until permission is granted on opening day to be unnecessarily negative about this project (alternatively I just won't care for it at all, but that would be a bit nasty).

electricBlll said:
Also there are many fantasy elements to In The Night Garden other than sheds, none of which appear in that promo image which suggest they aren't going to use them. In fact I used to catch glimpses of those slightly bizarre programmes when my younger sisters watched them, and there's barely any relation to be honest. :/

But that promo image is based on an attraction that has nothing to do with In The Night Garden.... In fact if the finished product is close to that promo image then based on the clip Dan posted it will be more imaginatively designed than the show itself.

Remember that image is based on a single attraction within the land.... not the whole land.

Dave said:
But that promo image is based on an attraction that has nothing to do with In The Night Garden.... In fact if the finished product is close to that promo image then based on the clip Dan posted it will be more imaginatively designed than the show itself.
It seems I wasn't quick enough to edit that typo out of my post!

I agree with your second point, I never understood why a BBC special needs programme should be so... plain? As opposed to highly visual and fun.

Hopefully I'm not just missing something obvious? Well that's my attempt at finding anything to contribute to the CBeebies Land topic, I hope you enjoyed it.

For myself i'm awaiting further evidence at the moment.

I like the idea of non-ride attractions but the key for me is will it be well themed. And we wont know that for a while.

Stevie said:
That kid still has a slightly demonic look in her eyes.
That would be because her eyes seem to be upside down. I just turned my iPad the wrong way up and she looks much more human.

As the the project itself, I'm not even going to waste my time thinking about it, never mind typing about it.

DiogoJ42 said:
Stevie said:
That kid still has a slightly demonic look in her eyes.
That would be because her eyes seem to be upside down. I just turned my iPad the wrong way up and she looks much more human.

As the the project itself, I'm not even going to waste my time thinking about it, never mind typing about it.

But you just did both?

I will put good money on it being more interesting than what Thorpe are doing.... which up-to-now is some shipping containers :)

Dear alton tower

some people are dismayed at the use of a wooden garden shed in a sensory garden as theming. Can you easy there worry over a new type of theming by using a metal shed or even better a shipping container.

Yours
Mr Taking da Mick

I've just watched an episode of Something Special on iPlayer. If it's popular with the kids then I'm sure an interactive version in a theme park will be very well received.

Oh and I did see a shed in the TV episode, however said shed was yellow and nicely decorated! ;)

:)

I think it'll probably go without saying that CBeebies Land is going to go back to the way the Farm used to be, with plenty of educational attraction for young children. The inclusion of Something Special seems to reaffirm that in my mind.

Personally I think that it's good that we are going to hopefully see something with a little more depth than just a couple of normal attractions with an IP theme slapped on them. A lot of the educational value of the Farm seemed to be rather lost towards the end, so it'll be nice to see them come back if they do. It's an easy way to appeal to parents as well as the children.

After all, it's one of the values the BBC Trust states CBeebies operates on:

The remit of CBeebies is to offer high quality, mostly UK-produced programmes to educate and entertain the BBC's youngest audience. The service should provide a range of programming designed to encourage learning through play in a consistently safe environment for children aged 6 or under.

As long as Towers works within the remit I'm sure it'll go down well with the families and children. Obviously though it's not that easy for us to judge, given many of us are not the target audience.

I think the project should be commended for attempting to extend the target market to include those with special needs/ learning difficulties. I used to be an assistant respite carer and would often take kids with disabilities to the park; giving them more options of things to do within the resort is nothing if not positive. Extending the offering of accessible activities whilst waiting for exit passes to begin is both helpful to carers/pleasing to the child.

They could have taken an easier route and just loosely rethemed the Dungheap as it stands, the labelling of sensory garden requires a bit more work than that. I hope it turns out well!

I'm quite excited about the inclusion of "Something Special" in CBeebies Land.

I work in a school for children with autism, aged from 5-19 years, with a wide variety of needs. A lot of our children use Makaton or Sign-along, which Mr Tumble uses. Most of our children also have some level of sensory needs, and I've seen the benefit of multi-sensory activities for them. Lessons include ways for the children to use all their senses to learn about the topic. A sensory garden at Towers sounds fantastic! Having things for children to see, listen to, touch, smell, taste, and physical activities really helps them to learn by doing.

As somebody else mentioned, having this area for them to use while waiting to access rides, will be fantastic! I was already hoping for a class trip to AT, now even more so. A trip to Towers gives so many learning opportunities: coping with crowds, making choices, communicating with staff, making transactions, waiting in a queue (it still happens even with wristbands!)...the addition of a multi-sensory garden, connected with a character or TV show which most of them are familiar with just makes it even better. Well done Alton Towers and the BBC for including children with special needs. It's about time, and I hope other parks take notice! :D

I consider this as a nice little addition. It appears to be transforming what was originally a rarely used and slightly dull path into something that will benefit an audience that not many parks cater for. Not to mention it seems that it'll hardly make a dint in the overall budget for the area.

Amy_D said:
A trip to Towers gives so many learning opportunities: coping with crowds, making choices, communicating with staff, making transactions, waiting in a queue....

It's definitely starting to help me ;)

BarryZola said:
Amy_D said:
A trip to Towers gives so many learning opportunities: coping with crowds, making choices, communicating with staff, making transactions, waiting in a queue....

It's definitely starting to help me ;)

Me too, tbh ;D

I honestly hope CBeebies Land has more attractions like this. Educational and inclusive fun like this is much better than generic flat rides.

I don't think anyone has slated the multi-sensory experience itself (which a lot of posts seem to be implying). Just more of the thematic qualities of the promotional image/concept which looks like it lacks any immersion or that extra 'Alton Towers' touch you usually see. It does look pretty plain (the bog standard garden shed being the main eyesore).

I'm not judging the concept image too much. Merlin do not have a great track record of retheming areas. Mutiny Bay is the best they've done (and I think that area lacks a lot itself). Although we have seen nothing of the new area, it's no where near being a finished product and we have CBeebies as the IP - unlike other IPs BBC has a certain expected 'quality' attached to itself. I'm sure they will not allow a half arsed job of this. I doubt they will let Merlin get away with the bare minimum!

^I'm certain that a shed has been regularly used on that show tbh, I'll ask me sisters, cba to do me own research :p