• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: CBeebies Land

Tom.B said:
I've just had a thought. Towers could easily move the Frog Hopper ride into CBeebies Land, and re-theme it to a CBeebies bug instead of a frog!

CBeebies Land is already going to have a lot more attractions than Cloud Cuckoo Land, leave the Frog Hopper where it is to keep things a bit more balanced.

Harvey. said:
There's only question surrounding this entire investment, for Towers, the BBC, enthusiasts and visitors alike; is this as good as Thomas Land? So far, I do not believe so. "Cheap Zamperla rides" are cheap and are Zamperla but ultimately, they are rides, something which Thomas Land has hoardes of and something which this project currently seems to be lacking.

Indeed this is also my main concern.

I reckon this area will have significantly more interactive elements and more entertainment on offer than Thomas Land, and be more educational.

However, I must confess to being somewhat shocked that the park appear not to be adding any new physical rides for the 2014 season. Even if they do so later on. It just seems bonkers.

It's Techniquest, a great attraction that was in Oakwood about 10 years ago :p

Naa seriously though, an ideal attraction for this would be to have all the hands-on items in one room where the kids play about while waiting for a show which actually features the neautrons and possibly a video of Nina (Nina's may fave of the cbeebies lot ;) )

Doubt this will happen though, it's probably the barn filled with techniquest science things,

All these attractions seem to require a large amount of staff, I hope the budgets allow.

;D ;D

Croftybaby said:
It's Techniquest, a great attraction that was in Oakwood about 10 years ago :p

Naa seriously though, an ideal attraction for this would be to have all the hands-on items in one room where the kids play about while waiting for a show which actually features the neautrons and possibly a video of Nina (Nina's may fave of the cbeebies lot ;) )

Doubt this will happen though, it's probably the barn filled with techniquest science things,

All these attractions seem to require a large amount of staff, I hope the budgets allow.

;D ;D

As far as I am aware, the park are recruiting dozens of extra entertainments staff for 2014.

Sorry I'm a bit late on this discussion but would towers need planning permission for a small coaster in this area.
I'm sure it would be covered under Permitted planning rights so they maybe a surprise or two yet?

BigT said:
Sorry I'm a bit late on this discussion but would towers need planning permission for a small coaster in this area.
I'm sure it would be covered under Permitted planning rights so they maybe a surprise or two yet?

There definitely isn't a coaster for 2014.

However no, if it was small enough, they would not need planning as it falls under the GDO.

I expect a Phase 2 of this project, which also uses the space left by the Beastie, and possibly a re-theme to Sonic Spinball, in the future. However, Sonic Spinball is too large and arguably thrilling to fall within a CBeebies theme.

:)

Is it possible sonic's on its way out of the park? I did hear a rumour (but it was probably just that)

That area all sort of fits together well to create one big area that would do the CBeebies theme justice.

They could section off Sonic Spinball and use all of the Beastie, "Park" and the staff car parking in between the ice tent for Cbeebies. Then when Spinball finally snuffs it they can use that as well.

:) :)

This is such a big partnership between Merlin and BBC so it is highly possible this will be a two-phase project. It gives Alton Towers two years to have a main focus on the family market too.

In 2015 I have my bets on a kids rollercoaster being placed where The Beastie sits and on some of the land in Adventure Land. If Spinball stays for 2015 then I can see it being separated somehow from the extended area of CBeebies Land.

I think they may hold off removing Spinball until they put in a planning application for SW8 or any future major development of a similar scale.

We have much discussed the removal of Sonic Spinball, and the resort themselves have stated their intention to remove/relocate it at some stage.

However, since the Long Term Plan was released a few years ago, not everything has come to fruition. Most notably, Sonic Spinball is still operating and the car parks have not yet been moved and landscaped.

It's confusing what will happen with Sonic Spinball.

I think split over two seasons makes sense the more I think of it, I can't see the BBC agreeing to a hash job and to completely develop a new area of any decent size from more or less scratch would take more than one closed season.

Do I remember right in thinking the deal with Sega ends after this season?

BigT said:
I think split over two seasons makes sense the more I think of it, I can't see the BBC agreeing to a hash job and to completely develop a new area of any decent size from more or less scratch would take more than one closed season.

Do I remember right in thinking the deal with Sega ends after this season?

I was under the impression the deal with Sega ended in November, but presumably it's merely being extended by a year? Perhaps I am wrong.

As for the kids coaster, it is an area which Alton do not cater for efficiently. As a major family theme park, this is a serious problem.

Given how relatively cheap you can buy in quality kids coasters, I don't really understand.

As for not adding any rides this year, have there not been a year or two where no investments happened? I think sometimes we forget, this is the window to the UK theme park industry from a company that constantly mentions Disney in the same breath as itself.

IF they don't add actual rides in this season to compliment the re-theme I will find it most disappointing. The signs for the area are good, but they certainly don't stand out to me thus far. You cannot try and bring all those extra little legs into the park, and not give them something to ride at Alton Towers until the year after. To me that is absolute madness.

This is Merlin's flagship park for a supposed global leisure industry giant. They just never seem to back Towers to the level that is could, and (even on a purely business, not enthusiast level) should be.

It doesn't look like there will be any new rides. That wouldn't be such a bad thing if the current rides had high capacities, but they don't. Riverbank and the Tractors queues move extremely slowly. I do fear the area could be a no go zone on busy days as I have no doubts that it will be extremely popular.

I agree with TheMan (it's been a long time coming) it is crazy that something new is not being added.
Maybe they have done us on the plans again like SW7 but then again maybe not.

I assumed they were having a new ride and were saving it until they had announced all these re-themes. Is there really not even a small new addition?

I hate to be all negative but won't people notice that all these rides are all the same and feel a bit ripped off? I'm just thinking if people go and feel bad then the year after when a 'New' attraction is announced then they might just not bother.

:) :)

There will be no new rides for 2014 - not even anything small sadly. This is just one big re-theme with interactive attractions and a focus on entertainments and education.

It's a shame really as they could have easily bought one or two small kids flat rides to install. It's not like they would need to break the bank to buy/install something small.

The budget for this season is, to my knowledge, £8m. It's a fairly heavy investment.

I think CBeebies is going to attract families by the bucket load to be honest, regardless.