• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: CBeebies Land

siralgenon said:
Can I just point out that the sign (not that I think it does) looks bland because it is designed to be simplistic and look like it has been made by a child. Hense the cloud and fridge magnet style text.

Its very much the same style as Peppa Pig World at Paultons Park

Thing is, Paultons is hardly the same caliber as Alton Towers. Alton Towers needs to set itself apart and prove it deserves to call itself the "UK's number one theme park", not mimic the quality and scale of a little regional park which attracts only half a million guests a year, and hires 250 members of staff a season, compared to over 2000 at AT.

I think we all need to realise that Cbeebies Land is targeted at toddlers, who will be attracted by whatever has the brightest colours or seeing something that they recognise from TV.

I don't think they'll care that the sign doesn't have the same creative depth as the one Storybook Land had.

Stevie said:
I think we all need to realise that Cbeebies Land is targeted at toddlers, who will be attracted by whatever has the brightest colours or seeing something that they recognise from TV.

I don't think they'll care that the sign doesn't have the same creative depth as the one Storybook Land had.

I think that this debate over the sign is becoming nitpicky, but passing off average standards of quality with this kind of reasoning which I keep reading is even worse in my opinion.

You could give toddlers a cardboard box and they would be amused, it doesn't change the fact it's just a plain old brown box. A good analogy for what we are getting here I think.

Storybook Land was very tired and needed an overhaul. However, what I have seen so far is nothing short of a cheap by the numbers corporate refurbishment.

I'm pretty certain they haven't employed any thematic designers for this project. I bet they build the theming based on the promotional materials produced by the marketeers. Seems to be the Merlin way.

Oh my lord! It's only a bloody sign!! Looks perfectly pleasant to me and seems to fit the IP. Sure the cloud looks a little cheap but it's hardly the worlds worst crime as some seem to be making it out to be.

As I've said previously, I've had many reservations about the quality of CBeebies Land however what I saw on opening weekend looked very encouraging. The area was looking really nice. It's not up there with the theming you get at EP, Disney and PA etc but anyone expecting that would be mad. The Postman Pat ride area looks really nice. We won't be able to judge properly until it is all finished and open though. Let's give it a chance before before we slate it as "another cheap investment from Merlin" like Jared has.

:)

Wish the people who slate see it in person first. Pictures really aren't everything. It looks good.

Remember: As it's an IP there's a huge chance the BBC would have to mark off and allow every little thing here. So if something isn't absolutely great, it'd be laziness on both parts. Would kinda suggest it'll look good.

The protect cover wrapper has been removed. It does indeed look better in person:

wrz3a9.jpg

Reprinted fence outside Spinball:

99pima.jpg

Banners/flags in the show area:

xanhxk.jpg

A look at the show tent:

rlw5c7.jpg

Work taking place at the entrance:

2aaipnb.jpg

Postman Pat's guide rail has been installed (sorry for poor quality)

20kp3te.jpg

(Also, TowersStreet are free to use these images as they wish. Anywhere else must link back to here).

I don't really see how this sign could be any better, without a change to the logo of the area itself...? If you don't like the logo, then fine (though you're misguided - it's simplistic, minimal and lively). But this sign is simply a high-quality reproduction of that logo.

All this debate is getting ridiculous anyway. Old MacDonald's Farm/Storybook Land were nice, but hardly the high-point of theming and storytelling excellence. Unlike Hex, Nemesis and other attractions on park, the area didn't even have a storyline as far as I can tell.

Jared said:
Well, you know what. Merlin are second to all of these:

Phantasialand
Europa Park
Port Aventura
Efteling

Wow, talk about rose-tinted spectacles. ::)

You mean PortAventura where three of the five major coasters are so awful that they're almost unrideable? Not an accusation that could be levelled at Towers, who have a truly formidable arsenal of coaster tech, when you step back and look at it from an outsider's view.

You mean Efteling, that goe three or four years in a row without adding anything at all? Towers did that for one year and there was uproar. God help us if this was an Efteling fan forum! I'm not a Merlin lover, but it's so easy to slag them off while glossing over the gaping flaws in other parks.

I have edited out a couple of personal attacks in this topic. Please don't attack people for differing views (disagree all you want). Please avoid personal attacks, if they continue warnings will be give

Edit: Just also a quick reminder about the report button, if anything appears you think is against member expectations please use it so we can act on it.

Full update from today then:

The entrance sign:

1549558_10152132601769387_4801405038321569558_n.jpg

A work in progress on the entrance to the area:

1978678_10152132601979387_8354540319173959447_n.jpg

A peek behind the entrance:

10154356_10152132602094387_2317305062003696535_n.jpg

Looking down towards Get Set, Go! Treetop Adventure and the Sensory Garden:

10170698_10152132602464387_4170288014429375368_n.jpg

The structure for the Sensory Garden's entrance is up:

1461392_10152132602589387_1668828673783410114_n.jpg

A look down at Postman Pat's Parcel Force, some track with guide rail, some without:

10170812_10152132602754387_2849885340978418278_n.jpg

Another view of the shiny new guide rail:

1505104_10152132603069387_7314067868900311156_n.jpg

The Sensory Garden:

10013212_10152132612409387_388518129896950111_n.jpg

You can see the banners in the background have been erected in the show area:

10003992_10152132613579387_5260200348621442056_n.jpg

10246817_10152132613889387_8076037283234294915_n.jpg

I couldn't get a clear image of the main Postman Pat building as I didn't have my SLR with me, but it looks incredible and it isn't even finished yet! The only negatives I can find so far is the blobs painted into the windows on the structure that Get Set Go passes through look slightly tacky in my opinion, and the awful what is most likely a permanent fence between Sonic and Get Set Go.

TowersStreet are free to use these images as they wish.

Its nice to see how the work is coming along. It is how i expected a area for Cbeebies to look. The sign is a simple and clear marker for the 0 to 6 year old age range for this area.

My 15 yr old daughter, who has a childlike mind (mental age 7) is really looking forward to visiting it (oh no, help me please ;) ) If they got someone as cute as Katrina Bryan to play Nina, I think it would not be that bad.

Thank god Squirrel Nutty's / Get Set Go's track has had a repaint. Shame the thatched roofing on the structures it interacts with haven't been replaced but at least they don't have gaping holes in them now.

It is looking rather good. Very Very VERY bright though. There is an intense amount of fence! :p

What are people expecting in terms of the theming pieces for the rides? Hope that they aren't all static! I'd like to see In the night garden the ninky nonk to be moving around for example.

Nothing wrong with static but the thought of animatronics would make the experience so much better for children x

Hmm I'd imagine it will all be static theming. I hadn't actually considered the possibility of any animatronics. Would be a nice surprise if there were some but it would be just that, a surprise.

:)

I've heard that there's going to be an animatronic Vince Cable on the Postman Pat ride, selling off Royal Mail shares for way under market value.

Unfortunately the ride will be closed for a day every couple of weeks as Pat will be taking part in industrial action. :(