• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: CBeebies Land

And at the end of the day, the area is designed for kids. There will be no kids who care about how the sign isn't 3D enough, as they'll just want to go inside and meet all the characters etc!

Well there's no point in making something which is based on banners traditionally used in fairy tale books 3D for no reason, is there? The banner style is fairly self-explanatory for an area themed around traditional children's stories. It's the same reason Mutiny Bay has a flat pirate flag as the entrance sign - because in that context it's right.

Tom.B said:
And at the end of the day, the area is designed for kids. There will be no kids who care about how the sign isn't 3D enough, as they'll just want to go inside and meet all the characters etc!

Why should an area for children be any less well-thought through than one for other types of guest? Even Cloud Cuckoo Land's is better, and CCL as an area is joint worst on-park with Dark Forest...

Cred%202.jpg

Much nicer.

BigAl said:
Well there's no point in making something which is based on banners traditionally used in fairy tale books 3D for no reason, is there? The banner style is fairly self-explanatory for an area themed around traditional children's stories.

Tom.B said:

Why should an area for children be any less well-thought through than one for other types of guest? Even Cloud Cuckoo Land's is better.

In all honesty, I don't think any other guests (bar enthusiasts (or really, really, really picky main stream guests)) will care either! I personally don't think it's that bad. It is clear as to what the area is and stands out!

You would be surprised at how many guests do notice these things.

People aren't thick.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm defending anything, but IT'S JUST A SIGN. There are so many, many things more worthy of enthusiast moaning than a sign. Who care's how many sticky-out bits it has?

Besides, 3D? Pff, I want nothing less than a 4D sign with a built in bubble machine, laser show, and a low fogger cascading down from the arch.

Tom.B said:
BigAl said:
Well there's no point in making something which is based on banners traditionally used in fairy tale books 3D for no reason, is there? The banner style is fairly self-explanatory for an area themed around traditional children's stories.

Tom.B said:

Why should an area for children be any less well-thought through than one for other types of guest? Even Cloud Cuckoo Land's is better.

In all honesty, I don't think any other guests (bar enthusiasts (or really, really, really picky main stream guests)) will care either! I personally don't think it's that bad. It is clear as to what the area is and stands out!

But I'm certain that guests paying for a "premium" theme park experience want more than just the rides. You aren't a theme park unless you're investing in themed experiences, hence why most on here find Six Flags parks amusing. Why not this? Or is it because we're fans of Alton Towers which is what makes most people overlook things at the park?

The sign fits in with the style of CBeebies, you seem to want them to have a sign that fits your ideal not one that fits the IP.

CBeebies is about younger than school age entertainment and education, the sign looks fun, eye catching and interesting and kids will recognise it a mile off. The theming for the area looks good (especially postman pat) and everyone i know with kids at that age think it's a great IP.

At the end of the day i want it to be well themed and a fun experience for it's audience, then i will go and enjoy the rest of the park as it is not aimed at me. Currently it looks to be hitting those buttons (though i worry about capacity).

I used to make signs like that in a previous job. A sign like that cost no more than £700 to produce and install. When you pay £50 a ticket, you expect far higher quality for your money. Just sayin'

Jared said:
I used to make signs like that in a previous job. A sign like that cost no more than £700 to produce and install. When you pay £50 a ticket, you expect far higher quality for your money. Just sayin'

Yes, but the park isn't all about that 1 sign, is it!

Just making that cloud three dimensional and giving it tone isn't exactly a stretch, is it though? All these things that could have had a little bit more thought put into them add up and paint a poorer picture compared to what a park like Alton Towers ought to be striving for.

And what does Postman Pat's area and the individual theming pieces for it look like?

DiogoJ42 said:
Besides, 3D? Pff, I want nothing less than a 4D sign with a built in bubble machine, laser show, and a low fogger cascading down from the arch.
Did someone splice you with Morwenna?

Tom.B said:
Jared said:

That wasn't my point. In the grab scheme of things, it's yet another cheap investment by Merlin. A company who claim to be second to Disney.

Well, you know what. Merlin are second to all of these:

Phantasialand
Europa Park
Port Aventura
Efteling

and so many more! Quality is what brings people back, not a cheap, low quality addition and poor IP.

BigAl said:
Just making that cloud three dimensional and giving it tone isn't exactly a stretch, is it though? All these things that could have had a little bit more thought put into them add up and paint a poorer picture compared to what a park like Alton Towers ought to be striving for.
Wait, what dictates that this sign should have all sorts of 3 dimensional bits and extra tone or whatever else anyway?

Once again, the Storybook Land signs were 2D but apparently that's fine? I could easily sit and say that they should have jutted out and felt like they were unfolding from a book and falling towards you... But apparently storybook land was perfect so we can never dare suggest that an installation replacing it looks alright.

Jared said:
Tom.B said:
Jared said:

That wasn't my point. In the grab scheme of things, it's yet another cheap investment by Merlin. A company who claim to be second to Disney.

Well, you know what. Merlin are second to all of these:

Phantasialand
Europa Park
Port Aventura
Efteling

and so many more! Quality is what brings people back, not a cheap, low quality addition and poor IP.

As tempting as it is to do a bit of Merlin bashing as it is a company i loath, as of yet i have seen no indication that this is cheap or a poor IP. A £700 sign quite a price really, and signs generally are one of the cheaper parts of any themed installation. The areas we can see look quite nice and the Postman pat area is looking very good.

As for the IP, its very British and as said kids of that age i know seem to love CBeebies. It is certainly the most interesting installation by a Merlin UK park this year. Hopefully the BBC will ensure Merlin have to drag their arses out of the mud they love to wallow in and do good with this.

I agree with Jared, except for the part about the poor quality IP. :p

Merlin don't explicitly say they are second to Disney in any other way than guest figures, but they know that people will take it as such because those behind everything they do are more intelligent than enthusiasts probably think. And considering they charge more than most of the actual top European parks, what's wrong with expecting more from them (regardless of whether you like their attractions as a whole)?

Scott said:
BigAl said:
Wait, what dictates that this sign should have all sorts of 3 dimensional bits and extra tone or whatever else anyway?

Once again, the Storybook Land signs were 2D but apparently that's fine? I could easily sit and say that they should have jutted out and felt like they were unfolding from a book and falling towards you... But apparently storybook land was perfect so we can never dare suggest that an installation replacing it looks alright.

Nothing, but from a design perspective, aesthetically it's bland and sterile, like everything in Bubbleworks, for example.

The banner for Storybook Land 'unraveled' from the trees created to connect with that and Squirrel Nutty over the top of it. I can't believe nobody on here actually understands why Storybook Land's entrance sign was the way it was?

And who said Storybook Land was perfect? I certainly didn't. I could just as easily pull that apart too (like the 'book' behind the worm), but considering it's gone now, that has no place here.

BigAl said:
The banner for Storybook Land 'unraveled' from the trees created to connect with that and Squirrel Nutty over the top of it. I can't believe nobody on here actually understands why Storybook Land's entrance sign was the way it was?

And who said Storybook Land was perfect? I certainly didn't.

I understand why the SBL sign was as it was, but was making a point about the 2D nature of it, i just disagree with your assessment of the CBeebies one.

Now if you want to have a go at the Smiler entrance sign i'm right behind you.

BigAl explained several times why the Storybook Land sign was 2D... seems to be blowing over peoples' heads.

I will admit that the sign is a bit bland. But it's ok and an improvement on The Smiler's sign.

However if this CBeebies Land sign were installed at a Disney Park, Europa, or even PortAventura there would be absolute outrage at how bland and uninspiring it is. I think this is yet again another example of how low our standards have become when it comes to UK theme parks.

Anyway this topic is getting a bit out of hand over a sign. :p

Can I just point out that the sign (not that I think it does) looks bland because it is designed to be simplistic and look like it has been made by a child. Hense the cloud and fridge magnet style text.

Its very much the same style as Peppa Pig World at Paultons Park

Having seen the sign in person, I think it looks quite nice :)

We can all live in the past, but things change, times move on and this is what we have now. If the last few pages in this thread are anything to go by god help us when CBeebies Land opens!