• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: CBeebies Land

Expecting something half decent if the bbc are involved looking forward to see the end result

They really do need to up there game for kids and I think that working with BBC is ideal for them.
But I do hope they've got more planned for next year as I know I personally have no interest in cbeebies.

Harvey. said:
To be honest, the boat idea does seem pretty logical.

I'm struggling to think of a squirrel character on CBeebies, or does the extension not reach into Storybook land?

I believe that the Berry Bish Bash will become "Pat's Sorting Office", themed around Postman Pat.

Shame they don't still show oki doke. that would be perfect for squirrel nutty!

I'm disappointed that this "family" development seems to be for pre-school ages and no one else. Family includes more than this. Thomas Land and Peppa Pig World both cover this market, and I would have though a) Alton Towers would want to set themselves apart from these; and b) Alton Tower's core market is of an older age and includes older family members. CBeebies could be a massive failure if it is solely for preschool children as it would limit both what the rest of the family can do and what else the park offers to the children

Did anyone declare it to be a Family development apart from us? Unless that was in the MTDP? Can't recall.

This will do very well for the park, between this and another push and full season for the Smiler, I can see attendance popping over 3 mil again next year. Apart from the glaring omission of a 1.1m coaster, I'd say families are pretty well catered for at Alton whereas this market has remained untapped for a fair while.

The BBC are incredibly cautious with their brand and others, so I imagine this will be well-executed across the board.

Plastic Person said:
Did anyone declare it to be a Family development apart from us? Unless that was in the MTDP? Can't recall.

1238197_545899482147167_2044636520_n.jpg

EuroSatch said:
I'm disappointed that this "family" development seems to be for pre-school ages and no one else. Family includes more than this. Thomas Land and Peppa Pig World both cover this market, and I would have though a) Alton Towers would want to set themselves apart from these; and b) Alton Tower's core market is of an older age and includes older family members. CBeebies could be a massive failure if it is solely for preschool children as it would limit both what the rest of the family can do and what else the park offers to the children

Alton Towers is meant to cover every age range, yet it really lack in stuff for the very young and has no reputation with families for catering for that age range. There are 8 areas of the park, if one area accommodates for pre-school it's not a huge deal, no one complains that two areas of the park are solely aimed at teens and adults.

It will be stupid if they stop thinking about the thrill and family thrill market but it's not silly to spend a few years focusing on a neglected market, and just after a big thrill installation is the best time to do it.

EuroSatch said:

I don't think that this family development is only for pre-school ages. I work with a class of 4 boys aged 11-14 who have autism, all of whom love CBeebies. I've also worked with people aged up to 22 with special needs who love CBeebies. A lot of families seem to go to Towers with young children and I often wonder what is in it for the kids! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE big rollercoasters and I'd rather have another new one, but I think that this new area is a great development.

Also lets not forget that many other park areas are suitable for older children, there is only 1 aimed at pre-school-ers.

Cloud Cuckoo Land is aimed more at primary age children
Katanga can accomodate children from 0.9 meters on the mine-train
Mutiny Bay has several attractions aimed at families but with heigh-restrictions
Duel has a low heigh restriction
Even go to FV and Blade is low, and Enterprise in X-Sector

As a personal example when my daughter first visited as a (slightly tall) 3 year old, she went on The Runaway Mine Train, and she was obviously pre-school.

So yeah 1 area for pre-school, lets not worry that we are losing a family area in a park that offers ALOT for families.

To be fair, the rides in the area are going to stay exactly the same (in terms of ride systems, not theme). And you can easily argue that the farm at the moment is appealing to pre-school children. So in all honesty not much is changing from that regard apart from the overall theme of the area.

:)

With the rides being the same and this pretty much being a re-theme with emphasis on the experience as a whole I doubt there will be any problems with the market this is targeted at. Those with older children are unlikely to be affected by this. While CBeebies is primarily aimed at pre-school children there are much older kids who still watch it. I used to watch CBBC and CITV right up to high school when I was a kid!

You can now sign up for email updates on the CBeebies page on the AT website: altontowers.com/cbeebiesland

I dislike IPs at the best of times because they are creatively limiting and often fail to achieve escapist experiences that takes people to a new reality which they have to discover for themselves. IP attractions feel like you are walking round a model of something you've seen on TV and invokes memories about the theme's TV/Film incarnations, rather than take you on a new adventure. A big part of adventure is the unknown and discovery, IPs often don't offer that.

Also, interestingly there are studies finding that children who played with toys based on TV and Film characters are less creative than those children who played with toys that have no media connection. So it's better for children not to be limited to what they already know.

But anywho back on the topic, I find the idea of a CBeebies theme rather more alarming than your standard IP. The reason being that most IP areas that have any genuine value are those that recreate a well loved universe. CBeebies is a channel bringing together lots of different unconnected programmes (or universes if you will) which in TV format works because the viewer never has to consciously exist in more than one of these universes as only one programme is ever on at a time. Whereas in a theme park context these universes will contradict each other and compete for the guests attention and never result in any form of escapism.

James said:
The BBC will not allow a cheap job of this. No way. This is bound to be a high quality development with superb theming. With a partnership as important as this both sides will want to make sure it's unique and stands out from the crowd.

You've clearly never suffered through the BBC licensed attraction, 'World Of Top Gear', at Beaulieu. I don't even like the show but I was offended by how shoddy and cheap the whole thing was. If they can do that to one of the BBCs most watched series and one of it's most highest grossing brands, I don't have much confidence for what they'll achieve with CBeebies.

Nickolodeon and jay toon network are also channels that bring together lots of unrelated programmes (less so with Cartoon Network as they are all cartoons). But theme parks have proved that they can be very successfully integrated.

The issue for parks like Alton is most "big brand" film IP's are part of parks in that IP group (Disney, Universal ect). And if they are not by the time they can get hold of them the IP is on it's way out. The benefit of having a channel as your IP is the likes of Nickelodeon, CN and CBeebies are going nowhere are their product clearly updates.

Theme Parks where developed based on allowing children to visit and see their TV and film heros in the flesh (Disney), whether it expands a child's imagination is debatable but is that genuinely the remit of a theme-park?

When I was a kid Alton Towers was barely more than some rides in trees yet I fell in love with the place and enjoyed every second. I think children will enjoy this and that's the key point, and it will draw families into the park and that is the main thing for Merlin.

As for the BBC making Merlin do a good job... We know Merlin can anyway; Sharkbait, mutiny bay, The Swarm are well themed. It's just Merlin usually waste their money on stupid gimmicks that leave no budget for the theming. Hopefully as there appears to be no new ride hardware the budget here is going on theming. It's also the most high profile IP link BBC have done so they have a vested interest in proving its quality so the BBC trust doesn't veto any future plans.

We will see

All in all it's great publicity for Towers!

It's nice to see that the reaction from most of us is positive. I'm not overly excited by this development, but it should be interesting and looking forward until it opens =)

I imagine that Alton Towers will clarify the financial deal in place at some point? I suspect it's Alton Towers have paid for a license but the Beeb will have some financial control?

Quetzal said:
I imagine that Alton Towers will clarify the financial deal in place at some point? I suspect it's Alton Towers have paid for a license but the Beeb will have some financial control?

I think the chances of us finding out any details on the deal are zero unfortunately!

A freedom of information request to BBC UK, on how much they have received from BBC Worldwide in relation to revenue from Alton Towers might be the best bet, but even that is a long shot, and would have to wait until at least the end of 2014.

Ian