• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: Old MacDonald's Farmyard Developments

James said:
Riverbank Eye Spy and the Dung Heap will be closed from next Monday (7th October) due to preparations for the 2014 land. Confirmed on AT website.

Just noticed it has already been posted elsewhere. But still, interesting that these attractions are closing just before the park's busiest time of the year. It will be interesting to see if this affects families much during Scarefest!
That's a fairly good point even thought most families wouldn't stay till 9 but even takes a good few rides away for children

It's only really one attraction. Pretty much no-one ever goes into the Dung Heap so that being closed will probably not even be noticed. Riverbank will be a loss during a busy period but I think they'll cope. Hopefully the rest of the farm can stay open until the end of the season.

:)

Think we will see tractors, doodle doo and the barn stay open, most of the building work is in the tent area for the 2014 phase of this anyway so I would guess they want to get ahead with that area.

Although they need planning approval first.

I'm just glad they've finally announced it.

I think it's a great idea, but I really hope Towers/Merlin aren't stingy with the theming. It has big competition from Thomas Land, Peppa Pig Land and Nickelodeon Land, so the usual shipping container/satellite dish combinations won't work here.

I'm not disappointed by this. Sensible choice for an IP as it's something that would suit Alton quite well. It needs to be done really well though if it's competing with stuff like Peppa Pig World, Thomas Land, and Nick Land.

Re: 2014: CBeebies Land

Looks good to be honest - I like the fact that they will keep it updated with the latest content, and I'm sure the BBC will want it to be as high quality as possible considering the competition. It will undoubtedly be a huge draw though as CBeebies is probably the main channel that kids of that age watch.

This is the part that really interests me:

"The Alton Towers project is very exciting, most importantly it is the first project in what we hope will be a very important long-term relationship with BBC Worldwide," said Mark Fisher, chief development officer at Merlin Entertainment.

Possible future developments in the works?

That wouldn't surprise me. It's already heavily rumoured that 2015 will see the junior coaster the park so desperately needs. It would also make sense having a brand as broad as CBeebees that it would be updated on a regular basis, mixing classic IPs with what's popular at the moment.

After reading the press release, it also seems to make more sense that the new area will focus on interactive attractions like play areas and shows as opposed to rides, as under the remit the attractions will need to be educational of sorts.

Tim said:
This is the part that really interests me:

"The Alton Towers project is very exciting, most importantly it is the first project in what we hope will be a very important long-term relationship with BBC Worldwide," said Mark Fisher, chief development officer at Merlin Entertainment.

Possible future developments in the works?

I noticed that. Makes me wonder whether they are planning rides at other UK parks based on BBC IPs, maybe even aimed at older children or the thrill market.

Anyway, The Guardian article says that even though none of the shows have been confirmed as the BBC do not have the rights to all the characters on the channel, they do expect In the Night Garden and Postman Pat will be a part of the development. I have no idea what In the Night Garden is but Postman Pat would be good.

What do they actually own though? How can they licence Postman Pat when Longleat already have it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLsN_FkQF4#ws

I hope they can work it out properly but it seems like a rights minefield, with most things made by outside companies and and many being shown on more than one network.

I think it's pretty given that this development will span over 2014 and 2015. I can see a kids coaster coming to the park in 2015, with the loss of The Beastie they really need a replacement as soon as possible.

That line implies that there will be other IPs outside of CBeebies that could come into Merlin parks. The BBC has quite a vast range of programming so it could lead to all sorts of things happening in future. Dare I say a possible look into a Doctor Who attraction too (although I'd rather see 'Who never used in a theme park). Although that line is very vague so it might not just be rides and attractions that fall within the relationship. Future events and shows could also fall under that line.

pluk said:
What do they actually own though? How can they licence Postman Pat when Longleat already have it?

It depends what the terms of the contact are with Longleat. Sometimes the contract outlines that it can only be exclusive to that particular attraction. Although if the contract with Longleat does not state that it must be exclusive to Longleat only, then there's no stopping Alton Towers from using the IP too.

Yeah it opens May 2014.

Here's the full official press release from Alton Towers if anyone hasn't seen it:

Alton Towers said:
Alton Towers Resort is to launch the world’s first ever CBeebies Land, opening in May 2014.

Alton Towers Resort is to launch the world’s first ever CBeebies Land, bringing some of the most-loved children’s characters to Britain’s number one theme park. Opening in May 2014, the Land will be home to a unique range of themed rides, attractions and live entertainment and will be a completely immersive and interactive world for children and young families.

The planned 5 acre site within Alton Towers Resort will offer plenty of opportunities for little ones to interact with some of their favourite characters and TV shows. CBeebies Land will include rides, immersive play areas, live experiences, character appearances and will be a safe and fun environment for pre-schoolers to play and learn. CBeebies Land will create experiences that inspire children with bright ideas, provide hands-on learning experiences, encourage pre-schoolers to explore and understand more about themselves and put a smile on the face of everyone who visits.

The area will be updated frequently with new content, while a seasonal programme of events will run alongside the main attractions ensuring that no two visits to CBeebies Land will be the same.
Marcus Arthur, Managing Director UK at BBC Worldwide says, “CBeebies Land will be a fun and exciting way for children and adults to immerse themselves in and explore the CBeebies environment and to enjoy their favourite characters. BBC Worldwide is delighted to be working with Merlin, and this very special development at one of Britain’s best loved theme park resorts is a great beginning.”

Katherine Duckworth, Alton Towers Resort, adds, “Alton Towers Resort is all about providing memorable experiences for our guests. CBeebies Land will be aimed primarily at families with pre-school children and is designed to spark their imaginations, and to get them and their families playing together and really involved with the characters - so is a perfect fit for us. Providing new adventures is at the heart of Alton Towers Resort and we are hugely excited to be the first to work with the BBC as part of this exciting new partnership. I have no doubt that CBeebies Land will add a different and original element to the already fantastic offering we have for young families, making Alton Towers Resort the ideal destination for day trips and short breaks.”

CBeebies Land opens at the Alton Towers Resort in May 2014. Visit www.altontowers.com for more information.

...and the logo (which looks pretty nice):
cbbland-logo_zpscf10e826.jpg

World's first. Again.

Can't they have a year off from using this?

LiamC said:
World's first. Again.

Can't they have a year off from using this?

This^^

Cebeebies is not even popular outside of the UK anyway (The branding of the channel) so what's the point of using "World's first"? It's not like an American park would ever open one ::)

If Merlin manage to pull this off, it could be a very successful addition to the park. I'm not sure what the visitor figures for Paulton's have been like since they opened Peppa Pig World a couple of years ago, but from what I recall, they've gone up by quite a bit, so the same could happen to Towers with CBeebies Land.

Whilst we're on the subject of CBeebies, The Clangers is set to make a comeback in 2015 on the channel. Could we therefore be seeing a Clangers-themed coaster that year as well? It's a long shot, but I think it's possible.

Not opening until May?

It's not exactly The Smiler, from the plans all they are doing is a bit of landscaping and plonking down some theming. There's no new rides to be built, just some tents. Unless they have stated that date so they can later announce it'll be opening earlier than scheduled, I find it hard to believe it'll take them the best part of six months to do it.

Whilst we're on the subject of CBeebies, The Clangers is set to make a comeback in 2015 on the channel. Could we therefore be seeing a Clangers-themed coaster that year as well? It's a long shot, but I think it's possible.

A Soup Dragon coaster? :D

Hmm it is rather strange that this isn't opening until May, meaning that once again Towers will lose out on potential Easter holiday visitors. You'd have thought that would have been a key time for such an investment. I know it's how things are done over in the USA, opening new attractions a few months after the start of the season, but here especially at Towers new attractions have always opened on opening day.

Dare I say it's another case of Towers leaving things late? It might not be but after the last few years it is fair to speculate such a possibility. The planning application was submitted at a surprisingly late date.

pluk said:
What do they actually own though? How can they licence Postman Pat when Longleat already have it...

Longleat acquired it years ago with no exclusivity. It's actually from Woodland Animations (now part of DreamWorks Classics) and not a BBC Worldwide IP unlike Deadly Sixty etc at the park.

They can have as much rights as Longleat to have a postman pat area. :) BBC own certain rights for Postman Pat but not all.