• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies: The key to year round operations?

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
It's long been discussed, as in - for years and years now, about Alton Towers' season.

Key questions are perennially debated on enthusiast forums far and wide:

- Why does the park favour a bleak February over a larger Christmas event?

- Why has the park, in effect, gone backwards in recent years, when you consider the Winter Weekends which used to take place on the theme park over winter?

- Why has the park not built a more professional entrance into the park for Sharkbait Reef, seen as it is used frequently for closed season short breaks?

Surely, now is the time.

Drayton Manor have been showing Alton Towers how it is done for several years now, thanks to the blockbuster success of Thomas Land. December and Christmas? You got it. They even throw in Ben 10, Seastorm and the 4D cinema. February Half Term? You got it. Weekends in March before main season? You got it. Yet for most of this time, Alton Towers remains stubbornly closed for day guests. In spite of its unique position as the biggest theme park resort in the UK.

CBeebies can change all of that.

Whilst the new land (perhaps foolishly) doesn't initially contain any additional rides, it will give the resort some clear impetus in the younger family market. Let's not kid ourselves: CBeebies is massive amongst young children. There isn't a key stage one child, or a reception child in the land that doesn't know who Mr. Tumble is. We're talking millions of kids. Far and wide.

But, arguably, DMP will still have the edge over Alton Towers. They have two kids/family coasters within close proximity to Thomas Land. Their 4D is close by, too. Alton don't even have a proper kids coaster. Yet, perhaps beyond 2014 - they are rumoured to be adding just that. When they do, that, with Sonic Spinball, CBeebies Land and Mutiny Bay - it could provide the perfect family event at Christmas. It really could.

But, as we've been saying for years... will they finally take the plunge? There's so much money to be made!

Your thoughts, please.

I would like them to open Cbeebies land and parts of mutiny bay at weekends and Xmas holidays. But let's not forget the waterpark, that's open all year round and still popular. If they advertised it more and opened Christmas attractions in splash landings, it could be great. There six no point opening the park in the winter on weekdays (except school holidays) as it would be totally empty and waist money.

I did think that when we got Cloud Cuckoo Land it was looking to be a more viable option to open some of the park in later seasons.

Alas with the Santa Sleepovers (and similar) CCL just replaced the farm. However now there will be 3 solid family areas with a decent selection of family attractions and also indoor attractions! Which is a must.

I wait with baited breath, but I do think perhaps its something alton are finally starting to lean towards. I doubt 2014 will be the year, but perhaps when Sonic leaves and (as rumoured) a family coaster goes into the old Adventure Land that will finally tip the scales in the right direction.

I can't imagine Sonic Spinball ever operating out of main season, it struggled with rain never mind when theres abit of ice!

I very much doubt anything will happen in 2014 (as others have said) but perhaps next season. I'd think that this season may see some form of testing the water, perhaps with a slightly expanded Christmas event before maybe trying something larger next year. Provided CBeebies has the positive effect on attendance figures that it should, I fail to see any reason for Alton to not at least try it!

Having a new area for children of that age is the key to making the possible event a success, and if a family coaster is added in the near future then it will drastically aid the chances of it being viable and profitable. I just hope that if they do try it, they at least give it a season or two to bed in - rather than just pulling the plug if they have one unsuccessful bash at it.

To be fair in some way the Christmas product did develop a bit until 2013. In I think 2009 they brought a few rides up to the hotels, they then moved the event into the park and 2012 expanded it into Cloud Cuckoo.

The issue is this year they had a major part of the family area out for redevelopment (including the grottos, which incidentally are staying). I think they maybe thought there wasn't much they could do this year so kept it low-key. I would hazard a guess that Christmas weekends will see a bit of a boost next year as they will be able to offer quite a lot for families again, plus an attractive IP.

Alton in general have pretty the shortest operating days/hours of any park in the country. It's completely paradoxical when they are also undoubtedly the largest and most heavily invested park.

Will they be unable to ignore this deficit after this year's development? This is Merlin we're talking about. I expect no more than than 5:30pm closures in the peak summer and the classic pitiful 5 ride offering in December.

I can't see Towers ever having a proper winter season, never mind being a "year round" park.

It doesn't help that many of the new CBeebies attractions will be outdoor or just covered! Nobody is going to want to watch 'Big Show Fun Time' in zero temperatures.

They could start in 2014/2015 winter season by just having these winter weekends and allowing day guests to visit the theme park at a lower price (similar to Feb half term) - hardly like they need to break the bank to offer that. Maybe even lower the car park price (£3?) to make the event more appealable for a day guest.

It's not that hard. Start with winter weekends open to all. Then if it is a success the following years they can expand on this.

Alton Towers' social networking just shows that there is a clear market out there for winter day guests at the theme park. The constant questions on both Twitter and Facebook of why the theme park is closed during the winter just shows that people will visit the park during these months.

This is Alton Towers, the UKs biggest theme park, market leader in the UK theme park industry and owned by one of the biggest tourism operators in the world - yet they do not offer any form of winter event. That's pretty pathetic for what is otherwise quite a prolific park.

The Cbeebies area does appear (at first glance) to have quite a high staff outlay.

Perhaps this could be a barrier to future Christmas events?

They seem to be working towards a longer operating year, there have been a few staff changes to increase the available out-of-season workforce and they keep yapping on about year-round operations. Essentially they need winter operations to reduce the negative impact winter has on the hotels to what is otherwise a massively profitable part of the business.

Also based on the number of guest satisfaction questionnaires that asked about later openings I think they might be looking at longer operating days (it won't get that much longer due to the remorse location).

One thing I do worry about is the stupidity factor.

If they open the current Christmas event up to everyone and clearly advertise that it is a family event and that only a small selection of rides and attractions will open - how many people will rock up expecting a ride on Nemesis and then complain nothing was open?

Johno said:
The Cbeebies area does appear (at first glance) to have quite a high staff outlay.

Perhaps this could be a barrier to future Christmas events?

and the adverts for entertainments staff auditions all mention that contracts end November 2014 so I wouldn't expect the show to run through the winter. But then given they have taken the tent down to build an outdoor show area its not really suitable for winter opening anyway.

I can remember going to Winter Weekends with a cheap hotel stay around 7 years ago when half the park was open (Forbidden Valley before Xmas and X Sector in Jan/Feb was usual). But then they didn't bother so much for half term, this was more just to get hotel guests during the winter I think.

Riding rollercoasters in extreme cold temperatures isn't that fun I found, so I think the winter openings should focus more on indoor attractions, of which I think they still need to build something new that is suitible for all.

Scott said:
One thing I do worry about is the stupidity factor.

If they open the current Christmas event up to everyone and clearly advertise that it is a family event and that only a small selection of rides and attractions will open - how many people will rock up expecting a ride on Nemesis and then complain nothing was open?

That might well happen, but to, as you say, idiots only. In the same way people attend Feb Half-Term and expect rides on Rita and Thirteen.

I loved the old old winter weekends.

I remember it well! One getting a £10 room deal at ATH! No REALLY!

Stayed over with a few guys off here, walked onto park got a ride on corkscrew, ug swinger (and possibly hex), had a warm drink. Went back to the hotels chilled out, had some beers.
Had a meal in the evening and watched the entertainment with more beer. It was ace.

I want it back. :(

This year I went to DLRP for the Christmas season and it was amazing and really got you in the mood for Christmas. I appreciate they have a bigger budget, but what if Alton decorated Tower Street with a Christmas tree at the end in front of the lake. Then maybe have a lighting of the tree ceremony just before closing and maybe have snow machines on the rooftops so it snows as people watch. Alton could have stands selling hot drinks, gloves and scarf's along the street and use it to help draw guests to the exit and have one last spend. If you look on YouTube am sure you will be able to get see an example of what I mean, it was magical to watch for the adults so what it would be like to watch the tree lights dance to the music while it snows just as it gets dark would leave lasting memories on the kids and hopefully pester to come back next year.

It would be nice to visit in winter even if just to walk around and see Tower Street decorated.

You might be interested to know they already do a lot of that!

At the bottom of Towers Street is a huge tree, normally 9/10 feet tall surrounded with giant presents and candy canes. They surround the tree with the lights from Scarefest and every now and then they make some variety of show that lights the tree up. It looks excellent - though is not publicised by the resort.

Also a couple of years ago they had (again an unannounced) Christmas Tree lighting event at ATH, Pirate Bill collected children after his show they went into the grounds of ATH where the woodland was lit up, and then to music the lights all danced and looked stunning until at the end it went dark and the large tree in the garden there lit up too.

They do also have some of the mobile carts around selling hot drinks and cookies, even in the hotel entry areas - to enjoy while you check in. Then theres a couple on park and also Corner Coffee is open which sells hot drinks and snacks.

While there have never been any snow machines the Farmyard Santa cabins (which will be kept into Cbeebies) are always chocked full of Christmas Trees covered in snow, as was much of that area of the park.

--

We did several Santa Sleepovers until our children got a little too old. But I cannot fault a single element of any of them, they went beyond expectations and it was properly magical.

My only hope is that they eventually go to having more bigger rides, not just the smallest family ones. I mean Spinball, RMT and perhaps even Duel and Hex would make such a difference to the target group.

Edit: I don't normally share things like this but heres my photos from 2012s visit - shows the resort at Xmas.

Bens Xmas Visit

Can't really see why they can't open for both the Christmas season and February half term.

Christmas opening would make closed season a hell off a lot better even if it's only a few rides

josht said:
Can't really see why they can't open for both the Christmas season and February half term.

Christmas opening would make closed season a hell off a lot better even if it's only a few rides
You should get yourself down to Chessie, they open parts of the park (Bubbleworks, Buccaneer, Seastorm and HPH) as well as the Zoo. Granted not this year for other reasons, but much better than thorpe and towers all the same.

It just shows how far behind Alton Towers is (and most of the UK) compared to the rest of the Europe. New Years 2012 a load of us went to PhantasiaLand and Efteling, both parks had all rides open (except the water rides). Both parks were busy!

Alton really need to do something more over the winter months. I think for the whole of December and a bit of January they should have the park open for families, you can have CBeebies Land, CCL, Mutiny Bay, Sonic (depending on weather) and Hex open. Have all of Towers Street open and the various food outlets around those areas open, this Christmas event, the majority of the food and game stalls were closed, which made the event feel even more depressing. They should then do deals for people in the hotels, like the do with the Santa sleep overs, but also open it up to day guests, even if you have to prebook online only, you are opening up the park to loads more people, who may visit again next season, stay in the hotel, go to the waterpark, etc. Its just extra money for them!

I also think annual pass holders should be able to get in, its an annual pass, it should be valid all year! It won't cost Alton Towers any more money, annual pass holders will come and they will buy a meal, maybe some merch, etc. So once again its free money for Alton Towers! Some of us went this year to the Christmas event, the park was open 11am-6pm, but it was completely empty all day, if you let day guests and annual pass holders in, it would give the park a bit of atmosphere.

In the long term I would love to see more rides open, and even during some weekends the whole park open. Yes they have to do maintenance, but if parks abroad can manage it, there is no excuse for towers.