• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Fair to remove old Arrow loopers

Sam

TS Member
Looks like Anaconda at Kings Dominion and Vortex at Kings Island are up for the chop.

Screamscape said:
Cedar Fair - (11/6/12) According to an anonymous spy source, Cedar Fair is said to making plans to retire Vortex at Kings Island (1987) and Anaconda at Kings Dominion (1991) sometime in the next few years. Apparently they seem to believe that these two old Arrow coasters may be close to reaching the end of their practical lifespan, mixed with issues like increasing maintenance costs and declining guest popularity.
I have to admit that locally, I’ve heard first hand rumors claiming that Carolina Cyclone at Carowinds (1980) isn’t likely to be around in another five years. Makes me wonder if Cedar Fair may also be looking into removing the Corkscrew coasters from Cedar Point (1976), Michigan’s Adventure (1979) and Valleyfair (1980) and there are progressively fewer and fewer 70’s era Arrow loopers still running.

I love to see parks removing this ugly old Arrow crap! I hope Cedar Fair really just clear them all out in one go, they serve no purpose whatsoever, very painful, and very unsightly! :p

Viper at Magic Mountain, similar to these two, was one of the worst rides I've ever been on.

anq0270007bqnedul800ho.jpg

Vortex (1987)

kmgdul800k402sg007c2ne.jpg

Anaconda (1991)

I know they are rough, and they are rickety, but I actually love the look of these as much as any B&M. I think they really sum up the general picture of 'Rollercoasters' everyone is familliar with. I know this sounds stupid, but I find it a shame we dont have as many of these custom rickety creations over here in the UK, I think every seaside resort needs one! ;)

Vortex looks like it was designed on an Etch-A-Sketch ha-ha!

That being said, I've not ridden a 70's Arrow Looper and they all look completely bonkers!!

There's enough fancy rides around, let's keep some of the mad old ones too :)

Am I the only person who's sad that this is happening? I think the Classic Arrow loopers define the word "Roller Coaster" All it is a train going up a lifthill, drops and goes upside down a few times, No gimmicks. It's probably what the GP think of when they hear the word "Roller Coaster", heck it's even what I think of when I hear the word.

Not to mention that Vortex was a record breaker as well. Poor Arrow's, they'll all be gone soon

:(

Re: Re: Cedar Fair to remove old Arrow loopers

Eddie said:
Am I the only person who's sad that this is happening? I think the Classic Arrow loopers define the word "Roller Coaster" All it is a train going up a lifthill, drops and goes upside down a few times, No gimmicks. It's probably what the GP think of when they hear the word "Roller Coaster", heck it's even what I think of when I hear the word.

Not to mention that Vortex was a record breaker as well. Poor Arrow's, they'll all be gone soon

Everything has a lifespan, nice to see Cedar actually realising this and looking to replace them - I can only hope that a similar park in this country does the same *cough BPB* :p

Re: Re: Cedar Fair to remove old Arrow loopers

The Psychoaster said:
Eddie said:

Everything has a lifespan, nice to see Cedar actually realising this and looking to replace them - I can only hope that a similar park in this country does the same *cough BPB* :p

That maybe true, but they happen to be removing two of their youngest. The Arrows at Cedar Point and CGA are both 36 years old, the one at Michigan's Adventure is 33 years old, Carowinds' one is 32 years old and Canada's Wonderland's Arrow is 31 years old. What puzzles me is that why Have Cedar Fair chosen to remove their two youngest? Yeah it has a life span, but why end the youngest ones first?

Also I wouldn't like to see Blackpool's Arrows removed. I think all the Arrows at Blackpool are good rides.

:)

At least the two they want to remove don't look as good. There are better Arrow coasters out there. But even so, I hope that one example of these bigger loopers is saved because it'd be an awful shame if they were all removed.