• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

Screamscape said:
Park News - (8/7/14) Lots of strange rumors coming from Cedar Point this summer… including many who are quite persistent that not only will Mantis likely get a name change in the future (Not sure if this is the King James coaster or not) but could possibly get converted from being a stand-up coaster into using either regular B&M Sit Down trains, or a possible full conversion into a Floorless coaster instead, for higher capacity and better guest reviews, as Mantis is said to just not be popular with park guests any longer.
Of course Cedar Point is always full of crazy rumors each and every summer, so there is no way to tell if this is true at all. Only that it is certainly possible. Adding a little more fuel to the fire about Mantis is a a very small section of the ride has been repainted in some dramatic new colors as a test on the box-beam.

YlV2Emf.jpg

hmm... very similar to the colours of that new coaster track at B&M's fabrication plant...

I like the idea of it being turned into a sit down or floorless coaster; that is something that should happen to all stand-ups!

:)

Must say I did like the way they approached it with that video :p It'll be closing on the 19th October:

Cedar Point said:
CEDAR POINT ANNOUNCEMENT

Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014

SANDUSKY, Ohio (Sept. 2, 2014) – It’s the “last stand” for one of Cedar Point’s steel scream machines. Earlier today, the park announced that the Mantis roller coaster will soon give its final rides.

Mantis was billed as the tallest, fastest and steepest stand-up roller coaster in the world when it opened on May 11, 1996. Featuring trains that secure guests in a standing position, Mantis provides its passengers with a unique ride experience. Mantis was built by the same legendary manufacturers that brought guests the Raptor and GateKeeper roller coasters – Bolliger and Mabillard (B & M), Monthey, Switzerland. In its 18-year history, Mantis has given more than 22 million thrilling rides.

“It’s time to say goodbye to one of the park’s coasters, and it’s certainly been a different kind of ride for our guests,” said Jason McClure, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “But we’re extremely excited about what the future holds here at the Roller Coaster Capital of the World™.”

Guests still have time to give Mantis a “standing ovation” before it shuts down permanently on Sunday, October 19 at 8 p.m. Additional plans for the 2015 season will be announced at a later date.

There's something about this park (along with the Six Flags parks) that I find to be tremendously 'cheap'. These parks lack so much soul.

Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks are certainly different to the parks we find here in Europe. I'm not too sure I would call them cheap though. Many of them, particuarally Cedar Point I suppose, are steeped in tradition with a great history of rollercoasters. I've only been to one Cedar Fair park and one Six Flags park (Kings Dominion and Great Adventure respectively) and although the former was a tad cheap and tacky in places the latter was a brilliant park. In my eyes you struggle to beat these park operators when it comes to parks with lots of out and out thrill machines.

As for Mantis, surely they are not going to be removing it? A conversion to sit down or floorless would make a lot more sense and I think it's what the video they've released is hinting at; 'take one last stand', i.e. you'll be sitting on it next year. By 'squashed' they could mean that the trains are getting squashed, sit down trains obviously wouldn't be as tall. And heck is not even 20 years old yet!

If they were to get rid of it Magic Mountain would really be a long way ahead in terms of coasters!

There's something about this park (along with the Six Flags parks) that I find to be tremendously 'cheap'. These parks lack so much soul.

It's very noticeable if you visit several of both Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks in a single trip, they all feel very similar to each other (probably not helped often by them having several ride clones dotted in)... It kind of makes me glad in that respect that European parks tend to be so different from each other...

Cedar Point's Director of Communications has been having some fun with fans on Twitter. He posted this the other day saying "LOT going on today. A LOT going on":

BwdVG83IUAAUhM3.jpg

I love it when parks do things like this.

Would it not be the first B&M to go if they don't sell it, move it elsewhere or convert it?

I think that's correct. Surely another park would want it if it leaves Cedar Point? Hell you could relocate to somewhere like Michigan's Adventure (which is also owned by Cedar Fair) and they'll probably be more than happy with Mantis.

Shockingly, after sixteen years of unchallenged dominance, Cedar Point just lost their crown as the Best Amusement Park in the world at the Golden Ticket Awards, meaning that they'll have to take down whatever variation of this sign they're currently using:

Cedar_Point-entrance.jpg

I'm betting they will replace the sign with somethink like "Voted best park in the USA!"

Cedar Point have Tweeted the following:
Cedar Point said:
It's BIGGER.It's BETTER! It's our news on @KingJames. Tuesday. 9/16. 11 am. #IPROMISE

That means we can expect that annoucement at 4pm BST. It is expected to be the annoucement of Mantis being converted to a floorless coaster with a LeBron James theme, well at least named after him.

The LeBron James theme sounds a bit odd at first, but he's actually from Ohio. Still bizarre though, but I'm not expecting much from Cedar Fair in terms of themeing. If it is a floorless convert, then I wouldn't be surprised if this was the first of many.