• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

I wouldn't say compare per say I just like original coasters and I'd honestly prefer to be riding Mean Streak this September and sadly that won't be possibly anymore. I love our own PB for this very reason. History and originality. Would love to squeeze in a visit to ride the Beast at Kings Island but I doubt we will this trip due to time constraints.

SV I'm sure is still awesome though and I will of course still have a few goes. I just would prefer RMC to build more coasters from scratch personally. They've proven with Wildfire that they can do it just as well if not better.

Mean Streak was absolute garbage.

Steel Vengeance is different in all but 0.1% and looks like the best ride RMC have yet delivered.

Mean Streak was absolute garbage.

Steel Vengeance is different in all but 0.1% and looks like the best ride RMC have yet delivered.

Its certainly their biggest to date no question. However doesn't necessarily make it the best.

Wildfire (another coaster I'm hoping to ride in next 2 years) has the landscaping, views in its favour as well as a far better theme and name in my opinion but each to their own I guess. It also didn't replace a classic ride.

I'm excited about riding both but I'd say more so for Wildfire.

I am sure Wildfire is great.

But Cedar Point is Cedar Point.

:)

Oh no question about parks. CP has literally been my number 1 dream place to visit for years. Lived in NYC for a year after uni and I'm annoyed at myself that I didn't make the trip. I just simply didnt get a lot of time off work sadly to visit and went to closer parks instead.

Kolmarden is just a zoo at the end of the day. Its very bizarre to have such an amazing coaster like it has.

I'm sure SV will be great. Incredible even. I'm just a bit of a old romantic when it comes to heritage rides and would have loved a go on Mean Streak however rough it had become.

I don't think it's fair to use the removal of Mean Streak as a stick to beat Steel Vengeance with - it was utterly appalling. It wasn't even a classic, it was built in the 90s in that awkward period where wooden coaster designers got ambitious before they got good.

I don't think it's fair to use the removal of Mean Streak as a stick to beat Steel Vengeance with - it was utterly appalling. It wasn't even a classic, it was built in the 90s in that awkward period where wooden coaster designers got ambitious before they got good.

I don't think it was always awful tbf. However it does sound like it became way too jolty at the end of its life.

And I'm not in any way belittling SV. Its an awesome feat of engineering to do what RMC do to existing rides no doubts. I personally just would prefer they were from the ground up is all.

I can't imagine many people being happy if they did it at Blackpool to be fair. Not among the enthusiasts anyway.

Blackpool's woodies actually have some merit in their own right and are classic rides, Mean Streak failed on both counts.

They could have just demolished Mean Streak completely and built a brand new RMC there, would that have changed your opinion?

Blackpool's woodies actually have some merit in their own right and are classic rides, Mean Streak failed on both counts.

They could have just demolished Mean Streak completely and built a brand new RMC there, would that have changed your opinion?

That's your opinion. Lots of people did like it though among the community. 25 years of operation is no mean feat either (see what I did there)

It was one of the first coasters outside of the UK I read about and became aware of. I definitely think it's got nostalgia and classic status.

I rode Mean Streak in 1993 and it was a great woodie, especially at night. Fast forward 25 years and I was at Coastermania on Friday. Steel Vengeance is a good ride, with insane ejector....... However that's really all there is to it. The insane amount of airtime actually detracts away from the enjoyment of the ride. There is literally too much and some of it is quite painful. Think Lightning Run painful at Kentucky Kingdom, but x 4. It's not a ride that I could do a marathon on and this was also the opinion of quite a few coaster bods who I got speaking too during the event, off the record of course lol.

Don't get me wrong I love ejector, my fave coasters are El Toro and Skyrush, but ejector is really all that Steel Vengeance does and it's too much. First ride I thought it was brilliant, but after that initial ride and riding in different parts of the train and riding late at night, my opinion changed. This is why Maverick is still the better coaster for me, with a mixture of ejector, slight air, curves and speed.

Of the RMCs I have done, I would put it behind Wildfire and Twisted Colossus. So position 3 out of 6

Interesting thoughts Pete.

I can't wait to experience both Wildlife n SV in the next 18 months but I can already tell I will enjoy Wildfire more. Bigger doesn't always mean better and the views and landscaping you get on that look like something you'd see on a postcard. Incredible.

Really excited for CP though just because of the sheer size and quantity of top rides.

I often find that if you go to ride rollercoasters with an opinion of what they will be like already set in your mind then it's very likely that's exactly how they will be. Surely it's better to ride with an open mind and enjoy them for what they are?

On paper Steel Vengeance looks like the best RMC yet; it's tall, fast, long, inverts, lots of airtime hills and so on. However I am yet to ride an RMC so do not know what works best with them and what doesn't.

In regards to the nostalgia of Mean Streak, it may well have been decent when it opened but all I saw in it's last few years of operation were wishes for it to be RMC'd. And I am sure RMC would build more coasters from the groud up if that is what parks asked them to do.

:)

Currently watching Shawn Sanbrooke at TPW at Cedar Point and getting interested to book. Any advice on length of stay for a first timer? Kids are 8 & 7 but love coasters and should be ok height wise. Also advice on the best route to get there would be appreciated

Currently watching Shawn Sanbrooke at TPW at Cedar Point and getting interested to book. Any advice on length of stay for a first timer? Kids are 8 & 7 but love coasters and should be ok height wise. Also advice on the best route to get there would be appreciated

Probably depends on whether you want to go 'direct' to Cedar Point or as part of a longer holiday. Both PBE and TPW both went straight there so to speak. I'd probably suggest hiring a car and driving from the airport you arrive at. (I got a taxi from Cleveland airport when I went in 2012.)

I visited as part of a longer trip around north America and flew into Cleveland from Baltimore, and then after the park flew onto Toronto.

I'd definitely recommend staying onsite at Breakers, it's right next to a side entrance into the park and you get an hours ert on selected rides each morning. Season pass holders also get the ert, buying one might be a good idea if you're going to be at the park for quite a few days. Pretty sure the pass is (or was) valid for all Cedar Fair parks so if you're going to multiple parks it would be the logical choice.

Also Mean Streak was terrible in 2012, I look forward to getting to try Steel Vengeance whenever I manage to return.

I’d say two days is plenty and budget for Fast Lane so you can buy it on the day if it’s busy. I’d also recommend stopping at Hotel Breakers mainly for ERT.

I’ve visited Cedar Point three times now and I’ve always flown into New York and hired a car so I can visit more parks. I’ve heard Chicago is the best airport to fly into but t all depends how long you are going and how many other theme park you want to visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’d say two days is plenty and budget for Fast Lane so you can buy it on the day if it’s busy. I’d also recommend stopping at Hotel Breakers mainly for ERT.

I’ve visited Cedar Point three times now and I’ve always flown into New York and hired a car so I can visit more parks. I’ve heard Chicago is the best airport to fly into but t all depends how long you are going and how many other theme park you want to visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We would drive from the airport, couldn,t do with the faff of public transport over there.
I've looked at breakers online, looks really good.

I flew from New York to Cleveland and drove from there, stopped at what is/was breakers express. Place was a dump but think it’s been recently refurbished?

Mean streak was god awful, the only ride I’ve ever been in serious pain on

I flew from New York to Cleveland and drove from there, stopped at what is/was breakers express. Place was a dump but think it’s been recently refurbished?

Mean streak was god awful, the only ride I’ve ever been in serious pain on

Which is why it is now Steel Vengence

Last edited by a moderator:
Staying on property has its charms but if you want a slice of real small town America, stay in Sandusky!