• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

Will be a throughput nightmare if that video of someone's take on the ride come true. And as others have said, two types of track looks really odd. Especially as the Zamp track doesn't look like it can take those forces.

Some new paint markings have appeared on the plaza resembling the keychains that were handed out, seemingly confirming the ride's racing theme:
F0_wYZgWIAAYPDa

Seems as though the Zamperla site has leaked it early... https://www.zamperla.com/top-thrill-2/
Zamperla partners with Cedar Point on Top Thrill 2, the world’s tallest and fastest triple-launch roller coaster.
Our Roller Coaster Business Unit engineered and designed a new ride experience.
It combines the ride’s original and iconic top hat with a new 128 meter (420 ft) spike.
Top Thrill 2 is the world’s first reimagined strata coaster and the fastest and tallest LSM triple-launch coaster.

Thanks to the all-new linear synchronous motor (LSM) launch system, riders will experience three unique launches:

• A forward launch at a speed of 119 km/h (74 mph), which leads into a new crowd favorite – the rollback
  • A second backward launch reaching a speed of 163 km/h (101 mph), climbing at a 90-degree angle on the new, 128 meter (420 foot)-tall vertical spike.
  • A third launch that clocks in at the ride’s top speed of 193 km/h (120 mph) and speeds over the 128 meter (420 foot) top hat before diving into a 270-degree spiral leading to the finish line.

Top Thrill 2 Lightning Launch​

• Total Track Length: 1043 meters (3422 feet)
    • Maximum height: 128 meters (420 feet)
    • Number of Trains: 3
    • Vehicles per-Train: 5
    • Passengers per-Train: 20
    • Height Restriction: 120 cm (48 in) minimum

Would've been a hollow one if it was the spike seeing how when they built Magnum and Millennium Force they ignored the existence of Moonsault Scramble and Superman (at Magic Mountain) as they weren't full circuit coasters and the whole train didn't reach the height.

3 launches on a Strata coaster will be insane. It was already very close to being my number 1 coaster but I think this easily puts it ahead of SteVe.

No idea when I will get to ride it though. No trips planned and not sure when I will get back over there. :(

Even with the slightly larger trains capacity is going to be an absolute disaster on this thing.

Though maybe if they can make it reliable it'll still end up matching TTD for total ridership

Even with the slightly larger trains capacity is going to be an absolute disaster on this thing.

Though maybe if they can make it reliable it'll still end up matching TTD for total ridership
Surely without the required build up of a hydraulic launch, and the swing launch not taking that much more time when you consider that, they could still get it to 1,000pph or so?

That would surely be sufficient, and matching the theoretical throughput of the old TTD with 18-rider trains.

They’re having 3 trains on it according to Zamperla’s leak, which would suggest that the park has at least some vague hope of the ride having good throughput.

Maby I'm being dumb. . .but how can they run multiple trains with a swing launch?

By the time a trains done its 3rd launch it will be up and over the top hat and back towards the station in no time, which I presume is going to have a switch track to complete the route back to the station. . .So how can they run multiple trains? -this is presuming it launches out of and back through the station up into the spike.

Unless they are going for some sort of parallel track which bypasses the station up into the spike . .so the train previous can make it back to the station without occupying the same track?

I imagine the ride ride will end into the station offload, pull forward to on load, then switch track to launch, but the launch will be away from the station. Rather than pushing the whole track in and out the switch will be a pull forward with one of those junctions that switch on their own axis. The switch and pull forward can trigger the moment the train clears so the launch could be ready pretty much as soon as the train in front clears the top hat and the rollback fins retract, if thise fins are necessarywith the most modern designs? Just my guess.

Maby I'm being dumb. . .but how can they run multiple trains with a swing launch?

By the time a trains done its 3rd launch it will be up and over the top hat and back towards the station in no time, which I presume is going to have a switch track to complete the route back to the station. . .So how can they run multiple trains? -this is presuming it launches out of and back through the station up into the spike.

Unless they are going for some sort of parallel track which bypasses the station up into the spike . .so the train previous can make it back to the station without occupying the same track?
One train pulling into the final brakes, one train departing the station, one train entering the station