• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point - Goodbye Disaster Transport, Hello Gatekeeper

Sazzle said:
Yeaaaaahhhhhh that doesn't look like the most pleasant queue to be standing in! Sorry, 'line'.

I'm still really gutted whenever I see the trains, as they're quite bland :-( though saying that, Wild Eagle isn't any better! We got a great deal with The Swarm :p

All Wing Rider trains (except the Swarm) have been unbelievably boring... Flying Over The Rainforest's trains are OK, but they are also bland.

I haven't actually saw a Wing Rider which has truly 'wowed' me yet!

Didn't they use the same molds for Swarm as they did for Raptor at Gardaland...?:

395bdlb8si5322k64heg00.jpg

I think they are the same molds!
Raptor has the best theming in my opinion though. It's certainly better than Gatekeeper's anyway.

Two concrete towers do not count as good theming!

I like the Gatekeeper trains. They're not as good as Swarm and Raptor's, but they're better than the rest.

And it'snot meant to be a themed ride, so does it really matter?

Why is everyone so obsessed with theming? This looks to have by far the best layout of any wing rider yet. Would you rather have a tame, boring, short ride with lots of pretty things bolted to it, or a massive, extreme thrill coaster that lets it's own track speak for itself?

Surely it's the coaster that matters, are we not coaster enthusiasts?

DiogoJ42 said:
Why is everyone so obsessed with theming? This looks to have by far the best layout of any wing rider yet. Would you rather have a tame, boring, short ride with lots of pretty things bolted to it, or a massive, extreme thrill coaster that lets it's own track speak for itself?

Actually, no. I am a theme park enthusiast. It is why I rate Europa-Park significantly higher than most other European parks, even though several others in the continent have better coasters.

That said, GateKeeper looks like a good ride. Cedar Point in itself isn't a "theme" park, it's more an amusement park with some major rides.

Frankly, we're lucky with the likes of Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. We get decent scale rollercoasters which are themed reasonably, too.

:)

DiogoJ42 said:

Well, technically speaking, theme park enthusiasts. Generally, I would prefer a good coaster, but the theming does add that extra edge. Unfortunately, not all parks share my view, and go for crap coasters with tacky/non-existent theming.

Re: Re: Cedar Point - Goodbye Disaster Transport, Hello Gatekeeper

DiogoJ42 said:
Sometimes I really think I'm on the wrong forum. ;)

Go over to TPR then.

;)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

I find the theming discussion quite interesting as it's something I've been thinking about a lot recently (what with Ignite talk coming up, and a trip to Cedar Point on the cards).

I have to say as someone who can't physically 'do' many coasters in one day, I do appreciate theming to help 'get my kicks'. However there are rides which really can speak for themselves as Diogo says - Gatekeeper is definitely one such ride - it looks beautiful. I think wing riders are very aesthetically pleasing coasters. I don't feel I can say the same for others such as eurofighters, woodies (sorry!) or even dive coasters that have a similar wide track/car thing going on (they always look a bit out of proportion to me).

It all depends whether you appreciate the intricacies and the immersiveness of a well themed ride, or you are merely a credit-whoring adrenaline junkie white knuckle thrill seeker. To be honest, I'm a bit of both although I do prefer more extreme coasters to more extensive theming. :p

Top being most important.

Great ride with good landscaping and theming

Great ride with good landscaping

Great ride with good theming

Ok ride with good theming and landscaping

Ok ride with good landscaping

Great ride

Ok ride with with good theming

Crap ride with good theming and landscaping

Crap ride with good landscaping

Crap ride with good theming

Crap ride

Obviously if there's a phenomenal layout it affects the system somewhat, but roughly speaking that's my view.

By landscaping, I don't mean digging a pit (though that is good landscaping) but have nice surroundings not built on a car park.

CoasterForce said:
Reports are coming in that both Maverick and Millennium Force trains have valleyed. Rest assured - Cedar Point is not always subject to mach 3 wind speeds!

Oh dear!

Also, the damage to Blue Streak has been repaired.

Screamscape said:
Park News - (5/11/13) Quick update from The Point... whatever damage done to Blue Streak has apparently been repaired. I don’t know for sure if the coaster is running today or not, but it was seen making test runs over the last two days during the media and private events in the park.

Unrelated to CP but relevant to valleying....Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland also stalled!

BKGLoA7CAAA9Fmw.jpg:large

Is it worldwide stalling week?! That makes 4 we know off so far! :p