• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Channel 4 2018 Alton Towers Documentary

It's all well and dandy him fobbing off with words about how he cares about the park since childhood, and remaining passionate and dedicated to allowing the park to progress, but one ride isn't enough to prove that I'm afraid.

Nor for that matter is an upcharge and rushed concept of a Merlin midway attraction for next year.

For the first time since the crash, yesterday seemed to demonstrate the demand the park can have. These demands need to be met with consistent upkeep and a greater ride portfolio; not closing current attractions and allowing them to rot and become overgrown. Rushing to get 1,000 keys for the hotels when they are far from capacity should not be the priority here.

It's all good talking the talk Ian, but dare you walk the walk?

The documentary opens with the idea that theme parks offer thrills in the safe environment of a theme park. However, that trust was shattered with the accident.

The park decided to respond with a new wooden roller coaster
The irony is Wicker Man is
1) Named after a horror film with human sacrifice
2) “Fuses wood and fire”
The theme of the ride is quite a masterpiece in theming, but does it sell Alton Towers as a safe place to visit?

In my opinion, ride safety and development of a new ride concept are two separate topics that are largely independent of each other. A new wooden roller coaster was already in planning stages in April 2015 before the accident even occurred. Wicker Man symbolises a recovery and brighter future for the park but how have the park responded to the errors of their darker days?

The documentary seemed to explain the “excitement” aspect of the theme park but not so much about reassurance of safety, which is the crucial point. Overall though, I found it an enjoyable watch. :)

I think the producers found themselves with too much material to do justice with in one hour.

If they had made it a two part series I think they could've done a better job, by looking at Smiler and what went wrong/what they changed, then through the inspiration and construction of WM, then in the second part the marketing, technical problems, snow and finally the public reception. Following a handful of people through to their first ride added little value, in my opinion.

@Panda

Since the documentary I’ve had a lot of people contact me to point out I was Panda half a decade ago. Studying Engineering in Birmingham, eagerly anticipating the completion of Thirteen. With dreams to one day design rides myself.

I can’t promise the road ahead is going to be clear, but there are opportunity’s out there, and I’m proud of where I’ve ended up today.

You can PM me if you want to know more. I try not to talk about my work on the forum, just in case someone takes issue with it and I can’t be part of this wonderful community anymore...

Is it in the style of the original smiler ads. As it just as confusing.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Haha, when they're running to the asylum and Shane Sandwich appears briefly got me. (Have a look at their other vids!)