• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Channel 4 2018 Alton Towers Documentary

To be fair, the park is seconds from disaster every day it opens.
If you're referring to all the cuts and changes to the park for the worse, rather than actually meaning any ride is seconds from disaster due to unforeseeable mechanical failure, then based on today I think your comment is very unfair: superb operations on all rides, especially Wicker Man - I don't think it stopped once. I got on every ride except Galactica (forfeited that for a second go on WM) and considering the park was the busiest I've seen it in ages, all queues were decent length - no more than about an hour and I never saw any stoppages on any coasters.

Now that the nerves have started to die down, I wanted to share something that was filmed, but was ultimately cut.

Today has been truly bizarre. A few years back I would use this forum and the people in it to get through the worst times. The days I spent on meets with TowersStreet got me through a lot, and I will always be forever grateful.
Fast forward to reaching university at the advice of a few on here, and I'm doing better than ever.

Thanks to all of those over the years who have played a part in my life, big or small.
I'm very excited that my future career is looking very promising! :D

Now that the nerves have started to die down, I wanted to share something that was filmed, but was ultimately cut.

Today has been truly bizarre. A few years back I would use this forum and the people in it to get through the worst times. The days I spent on meets with TowersStreet got me through a lot, and I will always be forever grateful.
Fast forward to reaching university at the advice of a few on here, and I'm doing better than ever.

Thanks to all of those over the years who have played a part in my life, big or small.
I'm very excited that my future career is looking very promising! :D
I think I speak for all of us when I say I'm genuinely touched that we've had such a positive impact on your life. I know how hard things were for you all those years ago (God, it makes me feel old saying that :p), and I'm so happy that things have improved so much for you. :)

If you're referring to all the cuts and changes to the park for the worse, rather than actually meaning any ride is seconds from disaster due to unforeseeable mechanical failure, then based on today I think your comment is very unfair: superb operations on all rides, especially Wicker Man - I don't think it stopped once. I got on every ride except Galactica (forfeited that for a second go on WM) and considering the park was the busiest I've seen it in ages, all queues were decent length - no more than about an hour and I never saw any stoppages on any coasters.
Agreed! Got loads if rides in today. I do think, after a shaky start to the season, the park got got into it's groove now. Manageable queues today, operations were good. Wickerman banging the trains out now. Good Job!

I love this tweet
628d2eaf3a615ff40063dfdc40688c57.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Agreed! Got loads if rides in today. I do think, after a shaky start to the season, the park got got into it's groove now. Manageable queues today, operations were good. Wickerman banging the trains out now. Good Job!
Yep couldn't have put it better myself :D

They managed to fill an hour with not very much, and it still felt rushed. I guess I needed to manage my expectations better, because I was hoping for something more akin to mega machines, following the actual construction of the ride & area.

A few notes on last nights documentary.

Georgia, you came across really well. Defo the least geeky geek. I never imagined you as sounding so posh though. Or does everyone sound posh if they don't live in Dudley (like me)?

What happened to all the will they, won't they, open the ride for the very first time days in the freezing cold weather? Guess the cameras couldn't be bothered to actually turn up for the REAL first public rides? Instead it fitted their narrative to pretend that their doco guys had actually got on the first public rides? That was a bit poor. Fake news.

Overall I thought it was decent for its target audience, which isn't particularly us. Nice to see some of the footage of the ride pretty much finished and starting to operate, but without some of the theming etc. That was quite interesting. Not too often you get an Alton doc on the telly so not gonna complain too much.

Don't understand why someone would be on an Alton Towers forum but not want to watch a doco about it? Even if just to be critical of it and have an opinion?

Anyone know where to get a copy of it to keep on my pc with all the other shows like The Magic Factory etc?

It's unfortunately received a 2 star review in The Telegraph...

When you read the review...

I've never been to Alton Towers...

In the end, though, I couldn’t get that excited about it.

The writer just describes the documentary, I would hardly call it a review.

_

I haven't watched it yet (will watch this evening). I'm not expecting a new The Magic Factory or even a new Park Life (can a TV channel resurrect that one day?!). This was always going to be a documentary for enthusiasts, and very much focused on The Smiler and the human side of the park trying to recover. I guess they didn't cover the shambles of the opening weekend as it kind of has to end on a positive doesn't it? It would be silly to build up to a new ride opening then cover the issues that came.

It was every bit a PSA as it was an advert! It was even straight forward in saying they needed to recover guests, so of course it would brush a lot of the negative stuff under the carpet with blanket statements. Snowmageddon = "teething issues!"

As for the enthusiasts, I thought it showed that theme parks are for everyone and can be a great place to escape. #GlassHalfFull :)

The great thing for myself was watching it with my Nain. We've never really talked about theme parks before but it opened conversations about her charabanc trips to Morecambe and Blackpool when she was younger. She kept asking me questions about AT, the towers, the Smiler incident and Wickerman all night( she was stunned it's billed as a family ride.) She even said if she was 30 years younger....she still wouldn't go on it in a millions years but would love to visit the Gardens. :D

It was good to see some of the construction and testing, but other than that I think it was very poor and rushed. I did hear Towers street get a mention at some point which was pretty cool
Yeah I agree that the portrayal of theme park enthusiasts as people who are using theme parks as an outlet for releasing trauma or escaping bullying hardly represents what is a very large range of people, that like theme parks for a variety of reasons. Having said that, at least it wasn't 12 year olds in tracksuits with fidget spinners :)

I enjoyed the documentary, I thought it provided a good insight in to the park and it certainly did show a more human side that we rarely get to see. Ian Crabbe came across very well, I had no idea he had such a long standing connection to Alton Towers.

I do however feel that it all felt a bit too rushed. A longer, or two-park, programme would have worked and flowed better. For example, the bit before the final advert break where the ride was buggered. Then after the break it was just totally glossed over.

They obviously had a lot of footage and struggled to work out how best to use it. Wardley for example was interviewed but was not used, and I'm sure there are others.

I'd love to see more programmes like this though!

:)

It wasn't great, zero insight into the actual construction side (or indeed, design wise, the question of WHY Wickerman didn't exist if I recall), add in the random false truths ("This is the FIRST ride on the park to have staff in costume and character") and it's a bit of a mediocre thing...

The story of the unfortunate opening weekend probably would've made the park more sympathetic than just ignoring it... Plus seeing what the park attempted to do in order to open the park/rides...

Strange decisions to make it appear very clean and what-not, certainly the signs of a Merlin project...