• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Do you like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • A bit

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
I don't like it. I remember a few years ago my older sister wanted to get on it so badly. My brother-in-law didn't want to go on it as he heard stories about it being mediocre at best. By the time we finished, my sister was totally annoyed of how bad it was while me and my brother-in-law gave her 'told you so' looks.

Mind you, only thing I did like was that lovely smell of chocolate attracting people to come to it...like moths to a flame...

the projector in Hex was broken for about three years at one point. Don't expect this to be fixed any time soon.
Yes, but hex doesn't have an ip set to run out in a few years. I don't expect this to be fixed ever.

please read this Alton towers:
JUST TEAR THE THING OUT! but only if you can replace it. Don't leave an empty building. A **** ride that gets queues (taking queues away from superior rides) is still better than no ride.

In my opinion, Cloud Cuckoo Land needs a revamp. Ice Age 4D is completely out of place on the street and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory needs either a brand new theme or a big revamp with new scenery, film and 2 fully working elevators.

I always thought it was part of the deal that the Dahl family had to be happy with the state of the ride for Towers to run it. If thats true they've clearly not been since its opening season.

If I recall correctly, they didn't even like it back then....

Went on the ride yesterday (it had no queue!). The projector in the queue line was working but very green and blurry. It's not the normal projector as there used to be two projectors but now there is just one. I think it might be an old hex one with the green glow it seems to have.

Overall the ride was okay with everything working. The lift was also okay, however it really needs a clean. The railings and glass panels were so dusty. I would say they haven't been cleaned all season!

The worst thing about Charlie is it has so much potential. It could be amazing but it is just average. Even Bubbleworks at Chessington is better in my opinion

it is just average
I disagree. If the ride was "just average" then this topic, nor ongoing in-depth conversation on the matter, would be as prominent as they are. If it was average it would be a damn sight better than it is!

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion... ;)

It's a shame really because the tech behind the lifts and the screens is reasonably impressive

I wouldn't say so, It's a box that jiggles with five projectors and some low res cartoon graphics.

Does anyone know if this ride is open during Santas Sleepover in December? im taking my little boy and he loves charlie and the chocolate factory but im guessing its not on the open list?

I saw a photo of the pre show screen. seems to be early theming for scarefest :D

The theme had so much potential, as did the building (toyland tours showed this) I like the lifts, they could be better, but they work for the people the ride is aimed at (I don't think the ride was intended to entertain people my age or older (I feel old saying that))

I disagree. If the ride was "just average" then this topic, nor ongoing in-depth conversation on the matter, would be as prominent as they are. If it was average it would be a damn sight better than it is!

I went to Alton Towers recently and I did Charlie only for the simulator. The boat ride is just boring with scenes that should last for less time. However, I do really love the simulator section. With a bad and good part, I find it average

Calling CATCF "average" is a huge overstatement. Even p!ss poor would be generous. Of all the things that are wrong with it, the lift is the biggest let down. Great idea in theory, if the screens were a bit further back away from the glass and not so pixelated. The cartoon footage isn't convincing either, and none of it is helped by the projectors being misaligned (most of the time) which again ruins the illusion.

The original plans for it looked quite decent, with an extended ride and a gift shop (plus photo). We all know how greedy DIC was (and Merlin) so it came as a real shock that they didn't want to take that opportunity to take more money from families. The executives must have thought a plasterboard hallway exiting the lifts was far more appealing.:confused:

What are the plans like? It can't have come to their minds "let's replace a magical ride with a new one that will be mediocre for children and drive most adults to the verge of suicide, just give it an ip and people will go on it"

I don't think the lifts are (or were) *that* bad, it's not exactly groundbreaking technology, but at the time it was pretty good and quite a good experience for a UK park attraction. The video quality for 2006 was of decent quality too. Although as paint has rubbed off the rails, the projectors moved, the quality of video aged (not updated to meet modern standards), and no WD-40 used on all those creaking and squeaking parts... the lifts are atrocious now.

Aside from the lifts I also thought the garbage shoot was great back in 2006 too. The rope lights worked fantastically during the opening year, it really did give you the illusion of being shot down into nothingness. Sadly that effect is now lost with half the lights not working and the fact the behind the scenes area is usually brightly lit and you can see everything beyond.

It actually feels like a 30 year old ride that you would find at some old seaside funfair...

just give it an ip and people will go on it"

Well in a way that did work out quite well. Queues for Charlie in 2006 were insane. I still think it holds interest to a certain degree these days too.

The plans were great, although all plans are great until the budget gets eaten up by this, that or the other. Most of the budget for Charlie was spent on the IP I believe, with little left for them to actually create an immersive experience.

I do find it hugely strange they never bothered with the shop, or even the planned birthday party/function rooms. Leaving the lifts into a bland corridor, and the massive empty space in the warehouse (behind the scenes) is such a waste of space. I really hope whatever Merlin do with the building they make use of every space they have there, since there's a lot of potential in future.

I don't see why even now they don't just set up a mobile chocolate shop/stand. There's space. Just put some chocolate bars on the wall and charge people for them. Merlin are good at that!

Apparently, it was running half capacity last Sunday (half boats and 1 lift), bit the queue was 20 minutes long

I also thought the garbage shoot was great back in 2006 too. The rope lights worked fantastically during the opening year, it really did give you the illusion of being shot down into nothingness.
Wait, what? Never heard of this before. What was it? Sounds good.

Wait, what? Never heard of this before. What was it? Sounds good.

You know where you get off the boat, before going to the screen before the lifts? Where you get off the boat it's like a tunnel partly above and in front of you. That's meant to be the garbage chute (that Veruca Salt goes down). If you notice these days the lights that go around the tunnel bit flash now and again. When the ride opened in 2006 there were strobe rope lights that covered that tunnel, and it gave off a great effect.

It's still there now. It just has crap lights that don't work, and the effect from 2006 is long gone because DIC Tussauds couldn't be arsed with upkeep.

You know where you get off the boat, before going to the screen before the lifts? Where you get off the boat it's like a tunnel partly above and in front of you. That's meant to be the garbage chute (that Veruca Salt goes down). If you notice these days the lights that go around the tunnel bit flash now and again. When the ride opened in 2006 there were strobe rope lights that covered that tunnel, and it gave off a great effect.

It's still there now. It just has crap lights that don't work, and the effect from 2006 is long gone because DIC Tussauds couldn't be arsed with upkeep.
I've seen this, I always thought that you were being shrunk into the tv set :oops: