• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

In other Chessington news, Rameses Revenge has got off to a flying start this season:

It's a pretty poor Top Spin at the best of times, but it seems we're approaching a time when they have to put it out of its misery. I'm surprised they even opened it in that state.

Is that Setting 1 or Setting 2?

Anyway, let's compare it to a few other Top Spins.

First a random video of Ripsaw

Next, another current Top Spin from the Merlin stable, this is at Gardaland

A Top Spin living on the touring scene

And finally a fan favourite for many

No excuse Chessington. Shame on you.

Rameses was THE top spin back in the day, back when they were quite new and novel in theme parks. I believe it was the first to have water? And was an amazing crowd gatherer even just to watch, with a great scenic design all around the area too. Shows how far things fall.

But if they got rid of every attraction that's in this weird limbo state where its half broken and not entertaining, they'd end up removing most the park. Chessington Lessons of Maintenance Resort, learn well from the consequences of a company not paying for proper maintenance for 20 years.

Last edited:
Probably the most enjoyable ride cycle on Rameses really...

Did they send it round twice like they used to? Cos imagine queuing 30-45-60 minutes for that...

For anyone that attended the annual pass day; how was Transylvania looking? I know it's been changed to wild woods, but with the vampires presence in the area, I was wondering how much (if at all) has changed.

It's just a rename to "make it fit" rather naively. I havnt visited but they've generally just fiddle diddled with parts as ever. It's still a mess by the looks. The mural down the side of the restaurant has been repainted from Transylvanian turrets and pine trees to Gruffalo-style woods.

Vampire's music has been turned up in volume finally but botched even more - playing a thin-sounding internet download of the music and does not loop properly. Vampire has also received the Merlin LED treatment throughout the station, and now looks like the worst disco ever with colour changing ceiling lights, detail-killing swathes of bright colour and the whole thing is a flat box. But at least it looks dark still, unlike how they lit up BubbleWorks in sterile bright white making it look like a fridge last year.

In other Chessington news, Rameses Revenge has got off to a flying start this season:

It's a pretty poor Top Spin at the best of times, but it seems we're approaching a time when they have to put it out of its misery. I'm surprised they even opened it in that state.

Wow, that is abysmal. If that is how it's operating at the start of the season then how is it going to be later on in the season?

No surprises to hear that they're AP say was poor, I don't know why they bother with them now.

:)

I have a feeling that Aqua Spin at Heide Park in 1992 was the first top spin to feature fountains:
https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ttraktionen/detail/aqua-spin.html&prev=search

I'm surprised they don't get rid of Rammy and ask HB Leisure if they can replace it with one of those funtastic games where you get chased around by a giant finger. They always seem like a bit of a laugh. ;) Either that or find a way to fix it, or buy another ride. As the last proper thrill ride in the park it will be a shame if and when Rammy does meet its maker.

Like Towers did with Ripsaw?

Yes! I was joking, but looking on the South Parks post they have actually replaced the orginal Carousel with the very kind of brightly coloured bouncy castle contraption where you get chased by a spinning finger. All for £4 a go. And they're replacing the Madagsgar Show with a film! Because people who pay £40 to visit a theme park want to sit on a bench outside watching a film. My expectations of Merlin are pretty low these days, but I'm genuinely shocked at the state of the park (based on the photos. I wasn't there myself). If I worked at Guest Services I wouldn't even bother asking people what their complaint was, I'd just give them their money back and feel embarassed (obviously staff aren't allowed to do that).

The only thing you can say about the Guffalo River Adventure, is that however good or bad it is, it will be an improvement over the derelict building we're bound to get when the IP runs out.

Last edited:

Needs oiling a bit!

No surprises to hear that they're AP say was poor, I don't know why they bother with them now.
You're always going to have an opening day - the AP day just improves things from a PR point of view. It's better that it's full of people who have already signed up for the year than people who have paid the gate price.

Alton's preview days for the corporates haven't gone super smoothly, either.

You're always going to have an opening day - the AP day just improves things from a PR point of view. It's better that it's full of people who have already signed up for the year than people who have paid the gate price.

Alton's preview days for the corporates haven't gone super smoothly, either.

They certainly didn't have 80 minute queues.

Alton Towers had problems with Galactica's VR (but the ride operated without it on Saturday) and Th13teen. Other small pieces of downtime were fairly standard.

Thorpe Park tends to be a shambles on opening. Alton usually cope, with a few niggles here and there. Start of season has never really been a major issue for with ATR.