• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Eh, I'm a miser. I'll whine about change. I'll keep going to the parks.
What can I say? I like being miserable.

I remember the days when if you could bag the last ride of the day (at 9pm!) on Rammy.... you'd get every program back to back.

It's not the kind of ride you want to get stuck on. The seats are very uncomfortable and the restraints are so restrictive you can't move. My arm was in front of the blokes next to me, meaning his arm was completely pinned down, at least I could move mine.

Chessington really is the park that keeps on giving as far as you're concerned isn't it, mate.

You know, for once, can't we just have a theme park museum? Sod the tigers, give me back the dragons.
Whilst we're at it, Thorpe, give back Samurai you scoundrels, take your poxy Ferris wheel back.

@matthewgcole - do you know if there's going to be a name change ala Wild woods? (Shakes fist)

You know, for once, can't we just have a theme park museum? Sod the tigers, give me back the dragons.
Whilst we're at it, Thorpe, give back Samurai you scoundrels, take your poxy Ferris wheel back.
I have this discussion with people all the time about town planning when they complain about new houses being built and how it's "disgrace that we are destroying the countryside" before I remind them that the house that they live in was a field not less than 30 years ago.

I am not sure why there is a wish for things to remain as they did at a certain point in time. Why would the world stop in one particular place? If that was the case, the park may never have existed and remained as a zoo... People change, tastes change, expectations change - that's just the way the world works.

Even the most historic of parks whether it be Tivoli Gardens, Kennywood, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Knoebels - they all maintain bits of the past but they're not afraid to change either. It's the ones that don't change that get stale and eventually close.

Had Chessington remained a zoo the site would be a housing estate by now. I know it's green belt but our collective lot of LA's have no problem reclassifying green to brownfield when it comes to making a buck.

It often makes me laugh to hear people complain about places like Chessington and Thorpe, forgetting that their child/grand child works at the site and without an expansion or revamp, they wouldn't.

I see your point, but, my main problem with rides being removed (admittedly, this is only in reference to dark rides, the only rides I frequently enjoy) is that the stories and characters inside die with the ride. There's no way to experience that again. YouTube videos exist now, but it's the whole experience I miss, even the smells.

I suppose it could be equated to a film at a cinema. Imagine if they never had dvd releases, just removed them in lieu of newer films.

Give me the Bubbleworks DVD you cruel sods.

The practicalities and financials of a film/DVD versus an amusement ride are very different, but I understand your point.

Again, stuff changes. That's just the way it goes. Fifth Dimension had to go for Terror Tomb to come into play. Around the world in 80 days had to depart for Toyland Tours to get a look in.

I have family and friends who have now died who would share fond memories of riding the Belle Vue Bobs and The Reel at the Pleasure Beach, which I never got to ride. That said, they won't get the chance to ride Icon or SW8.

You have to be content to experience and remember whatever was there during your 'time'. Not just in the hobby, but in life generally.

There will be a new generation who are now being brought up on the Gruffalo who will never get to experience Bubbleworks.

"Don't be sad it's over, be happy that it happened".

Last edited:
All well and good, provided the replacement is at least on a par with, if not better than the original... ;)