• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Chessington has now released their provisional opening times for 2018. The MAP weekend will be on the 10th-11th March with the season getting fully underway on the 17th March (Same day as Alton. What a coincidence!) with the park opening from 10am to 5pm. The park will be closed on off-peak Tuesdays and Wednesdays in March, April, May, September and October. Also, Howl-o-ween has had an additional weekend added in the form of the 13th-14th October as well as the normal half term week (19th-31st October). This period will see the park open from 10am-8pm as per usual. So, what do you guys think about Chessington's 2018 opening times? One thing I did notice is that Merlin seem to have taken one day off of the start of each park's season. For example, Chessington has gone from Friday to Saturday and Thorpe has gone from Thursday to Friday.

22490095_10154993539047032_1822982498515944578_n.jpg

This photo has been posted on the MAP Facebook group.

Given that this is an official publicity photo, one assumes that this is the most exciting angle they could find. I know it's still being built and it won't look like this when it's finished. Guests won't even see it from this angle. Nonetheless, considering it's nearly the end of January, it doesn't look very inspiring, does it?

Given that this is an official publicity photo, one assumes that this is the most exciting angle they could find. I know it's still being built and it won't look like this when it's finished. Guests won't even see it from this angle. Nonetheless, considering it's nearly the end of January, it doesn't look very inspiring, does it?
It reminds me of Merlin's other zoo installations at Chessington really high fences everywhere, Something you wouldn't see much of at somewhere like Chester Zoo.

Those fences do need to be that high, otherwise a tiger can quiet easily jump over it. Chester zoo is more open plan, but they do have high fences or glass windows for their cat and ape enclosures

Those fences do need to be that high, otherwise a tiger can quiet easily jump over it. Chester zoo is more open plan, but they do have high fences or glass windows for their cat and ape enclosures
They need to borrow Alton's head of fencing. :D

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Chessington have confirmed that Tiger Rock will open on Saturday 5th May. There will be four tigers coming over to Chessington from Kolmården!

RMC next please! :p

:)

Those tigers are gonna come from a beautiful Swedish wildlife park with Wildfire to a grotty theme park with the Gruffalo in Surrey. I feel sorry for them :(

Isn't it considered by almost everyone these days to be very naff to have tigers in zoos?

In an ideal world, no animal should be contained in a zoo, but we do not live in an ideal world.

Take a look at how many elephants and rinos are being illegally hunted and killed each day for their tusks and horns.

The Sumatran Tiger is endangered and there are only around 500 to 600 left in the wild. The sad fact is that there are more Sumatran Tigers kept as pets in America as there are left in the wild.

The Zoo do some amazing work in keeping these beautiful animals and they are given good enrichment as well as part of their conservation program. A good zoo will have decent enclosures for them with plenty of space.

However I do have concerns how the tigers will feel being stuck next to a water ride with people screaming as the boat descends down the flume.

Me and Jess target training a Sumatran Tiger a few years back at Colchester zoo

5GamwSz.jpg

And feeding time at our local zoo

pZgwrME.jpg

This feels somewhat contradictory?

Like I said, if we lived in an ideal world, meaning that if animals weren't hunted and slaughter by us humans, if we didn't destroyer their habitat, if they didn't suffer a slow painful death when they became ill.

But we do not live in an ideal world ;)

I visit our two local zoos on a regular basis and I personally know the keepers and fully understand what goes on there. These animals are in good hands and even though they don't have there freedom, they are in very good hands. They also wouldn't survive as long in the wild as they do in captivity. The enrichment that the zoo gives them helps keep them occupied during the day.

I suppose people misconception of keeping animals in zoos is no difference to people misconception that a themepark ride is dangerous just because someone hit the e-stop button.

What I find worse than zoos is the pet trade. Animals are sometimes in-bread to form certain pedigree breed, they are often born with inherited illness and defects because of this. People who buy pets sometimes do not do any research into how to look after the pet, especially if it an exotic animal. These pets are kept at home bored all day on its own while the owner goes out to work. Owners don't always have the money to get veterinary advice when the pet becomes ill. Pets are sometimes mistreated or neglected. Pets are often over feed bad treats or food that is bad for them and they become overweight. And some of the cages available for pets are way too small or unsuitable for the animal.

The Tiger thing isn't due to open until May, so they've got plenty of time which is just as well since most grass round these parts presently resemble brown swimming pools.

I don't think its an official photo. It was posted in the MAP community group, not by Merlin on the fan page.