Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Anonymous, 12th Jun 2012.

1. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Chessington was basically ignored whilst they ploughed money into Thorpe Park in the mid 00's. It's never really recovered from the lack of investment.

It's very well marketed as a family park and perhaps even over-sold. There's now too many guests and not enough rides.

2. Doublethink

Doublethink TowersStreet Member

I don't think the number of rides is a problem it's the capacity of said rides- vampire is a long ride and only runs two low guest number trains (with literally half the seats on RAP last time I went). Dragons Fury is also fairly pathetic in terms of riders per hour.... Its not a big supprise the fast track que on both can get up to an hour

3. John C

John C TowersStreet Member

I have to agree with the above posts. It's such a pity what Chessington has become. It was a great park back in the day and the additions were top notch. For example it was such an exciting time when Transylvania Land opened back in 1990 with the iconic Professor Burp's Bubbleworks. The Vampire was a great experience too. The queue line and the station were so well done and really built up the anticipation of the actual ride. Sad to see the Vampire such a shadow of its former self. Even the restaurant was excellently themed with dancing animatronics on the stage.

I know it may be a long time coming, but let's hope the future brings the much needed investment to bring the park back up to standard.

4. Themeparksandy1981

Themeparksandy1981 TowersStreet Member

I not been to Chessington since 2008 but they really need to add something big to really get me to drive over 2 hrs again.

5. Dan19F1

Dan19F1 TowersStreet Member

Rameses Revenge has reopened!! (Thankfully - best ride in the park)

Joel3 and Matt N like this.
  6. Laura91

Laura91 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Storm in a teacup
    That I’m still yet to ride! :(
    Does anyone have any reviews from the bounce? Is it as good as Bouncezilla?

Joel3 likes this.
  7. Doublethink

Doublethink TowersStreet Member

Was at kolmården today. Chessington could learn a lot from that park on how to do well themed areas, how to keep animals well and how to cater for all the thrill markets. Wildfire is only a 1.2 restriction and the best coaster I have ever rode. I appreciate a 180ft drop wouldn't be possible but something launched perhaps?

Their children's areas were far better themed and had genuine charm along with no reliance on IP's.

Last edited: 25th Jul 2019
    Alsty likes this.
  8. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

Chessington could have been the country’s crown jewel - the council ruined wardleys plans back in the day and continue to do so. From a business perspective I can see why it gets minimal investment

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  9. TakeYourMedicine

TakeYourMedicine TowersStreet Member

I don't see how this is true? The planning was extremely tight yes but Tussauds built everything they wanted to at that time. "Wardley's plans" were hardly ruined and the park was extremely successful for its first 10-15 years. In recent years all their planning applications have been granted.

The council are a problem but the relationship between them and the park should have been constructively built up over the years. I don't see the council as the reason the park stagnated so much in the late 90s–2000s

MaxPower and DiogoJ42 like this.
  10. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Out of interest, is it true that Wardley wanted to build a Nemesis-esque B&M invert on the site that Rattlesnake presently occupies, or did I imagine that?

Jb85 likes this.
  11. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    I think the locals are more of a problem than the council, I know a few and they were always complaining around the evening barbecue about the noise when I was up there , until I pointed out if they got the place shut half their family would be on the dole.

12. TakeYourMedicine

TakeYourMedicine TowersStreet Member

I've heard that rumour too, but not from a reliable source that I can remember.

There was never any planning put forward for such a thing, but there was definitely something else intended for that site than the travelling wild mouse that we got.

Matt N likes this.
  13. SuperMuscleMan

SuperMuscleMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Colossus
    I will say though when that area came about the theming was to Disney standards. Did anyone ever see the cowboy show? It was brilliant.

14. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Wasn't Rattlesnake always the plan for that area? The wood coaster was for Circus World, not sure if that got planning permission or was just mooted with the council, I thought it was approved at some level.

Matt N likes this.
  15. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Wasn't there a racing Schwarzy planned as well?
    ... And no, I'm not getting confused with the dueling one he designed for Towers! Back in the early days of RCT1, before any of the expansions were released, JW put a couple of tracks up for download on his website, claiming they were unused designs for various parks. One of them was a pair of racing "steel rollercoasters" supposedly from Chessy. I'm not too sure where it was going to go, but at the time I assumed it would be more or less where Fury sits today.

MaxPower, RicketyCricket and Matt N like this.
  16. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    @DiogoJ42 I thought the woody was a racer? Or maybe it was a steel racer? The plan for the racer (whatever it was made out of ....) is floating around somewhere. The JW tracks are on an old PC somewhere.

Plastic Person likes this.
  17. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

The plans were for a steel racer, as I recall, manufactured by Vekoma and sited in what was then Beanoland.

TakeYourMedicine, DiogoJ42 and Matt N like this.
  18. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Think you're right right - here's the article from Airtime 14

19. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

A great shame that Chessington never recieved the racing steel coaster, but at least we all got to enjoy Drayton Manor's wooden coaster for the new millenium.

Jb85 and Rick like this.
  20. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    That thing kicked some serious ass in its brief tenure.

Plastic Person likes this.