• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Merlin are not interested in Chessington for one simple reason... the planners wont let them do anything. It's just not in Merlin's eyes cost-effective to do anything big at Chessie as they want Thorpe to be the big guns down south for them in the thrill market and Lego to do the job for kids.

It's a shame really because i would agree with Jarad that Chessington was the first true "theme park" in the UK.

Re: Re: Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Benzin said:
Bleh, just gonna keep on happening, and I really cannot be bothered with the park this year... Still expect the Safari to be cancelled at any moment...

Its under construction now and will be ready by October for the animals. The Rhinos are due to arrive the first week of November.

What's going to happen to Chessie in the long-term, if Merlin aren't interested?

Will it still be owned by the company in ten years time, or even open?

Sam said:
What's going to happen to Chessie in the long-term, if Merlin aren't interested?

I think they are pushing the Zoo, When Tussauds moved from a Zoo to a theme park, Zoo's where very un-PC. These-days so long as you prove good animal welfare they are very popular again.

I think they will go with a Zoo yet with an edge idea.

Sam said:

They were planning to reinvigorate the park and really give it life - till they got rained on from above.

I suppose now all they can do is wait. But it is clearly the most neglected park by Merlin despite having such a wonderful and successful addition in 2010 and family awards - but this doesn't seem enough for Merlin to invest. :(

They're seemingly going for a very unique (for england) busch gardens approach.

Rides, and animals.. together, in harmony.

Once they've managed to do that, the entire park would look utterly gorgeous anyway. Safari's are equally amazing, so it's only good for chessington to have this!

thefatone said:
They're seemingly going for a very unique (for england) busch gardens approach.

Rides, and animals.. together, in harmony.

Once they've managed to do that, the entire park would look utterly gorgeous anyway. Safari's are equally amazing, so it's only good for chessington to have this!

So, when are we getting our Dive Machine and B&M Invert? ;)

Mixing animals with rides is the best plan for Chessington but they still need to invest in ride hardware... The Safari will be a good addition but they can't work on 1 new ride/ experience every 3 years when the likes of Alton (normally) get a new "ride" every year.

Chessington need more love

Could we not see a similar approach like West Midlands Safari Park? I know its not ideal for the park but the atmopshere and some of the themeing is really good. For instance the rapids everyone was talking about that they need WMSP have a travelling version BUT have themed it alot better than Light Water Valleys too! and it looks really nice! Its just another idea of mixing rides and animals together. Does this mean aswell that the park are going to hold onto Vampire as long as possible as they will never get that much investment in a rollercoaster again?

Zak said:
Does this mean aswell that the park are going to hold onto Vampire as long as possible as they will never get that much investment in a rollercoaster again?
It's not even so much that they can't get the investment... It is because the planners will never let something on the same scale happen again. :(

mrbrightside said:
Zak said:
Does this mean aswell that the park are going to hold onto Vampire as long as possible as they will never get that much investment in a rollercoaster again?
It's not even so much that they can't get the investment... It is because the planners will never let something on the same scale happen again. :(
Are there any valid reasons for this? :/

BigAl said:
mrbrightside said:
Zak said:
Are there any valid reasons for this? :/

f9be61a57d814fbab4571b2.png

Look at Chessie in the middle - you can really see how it is surrounded by housing in fairly close proximity. It suffers from pressure from the locals more than anywhere else, and the planning officers follow this.

Are these the dwellings of the infamous Chessington Nimbys that I've heard so much of? I've only been a handful of times, but I distinctly recall driving past many, many large houses with £60k+ cars perched in their driveways.

Hi All

Some of you may or may not be aware, the Olympic Road Cycling Event is due to be held in Surrey this coming weekend - Sat 28th July and Sunday 29th July

Just a word of warning to anybody that is expecting to visit Chessington during these dates... Expect LONG delays.

I work in Surrey, not too far from Chessy, and the M25 has been a nightmare this week which is only expected to get worse.

More information can be found at the following website:
http://www.gosurrey.info/olympic-road-cycling/

Hope it helps :)

Do we think this is going to be a conventional diesel-powdered vehicle? Could be interesting in wet weather if they churn the place up continuously.

So now we have Zafari and Zufari. Presumably this means the next additions at Chessington will be Zefari and Zifari.

The marketing manager must be laughing all the way to the bank - Zofari's been getting away with spectacular laziness *gets coat*

There's a chance now that the zafari restaurant might get a name change next year to avoid confusion, well that's a theory I have :p