• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Speaking of similarities, the Zufari Logo looks very similar to Disney's one for their Animal Kingdom park... :-X

I overheard somone compare Chessington to AK yesterday, but they thought Chessington was better as it wasn't so spread out.

That's often one reason why I hear folks saying Thorpe better than Alton.

Efteling and Europa are terrible though. Just too big!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

According to a poster over on Thorpe Park Mania, Tomb Blaster has now reopened.

Just a quick update on Tomb Blaster. The fencing has now been replaced with high metal fencing rather than wooden planks as before alongside replacing the wood on the bridge walkways, the high metal fencing won't be left looking ugly once this season is over however as there are plans to merge it in with the theme. Whilst it's been closed too, Tomb Blaster has received theming touch ups and improvements in certain segments such as new lights and effects.

Pictures of the fencing, courtesy of Theme Park Worldwide:

scaled.php

scaled.php

Certainly looks rather naff at the moment...

Well at least they painted it so it sort of fits in, but it really does look out of place. These are the consequences of M£rlin's poor maitinance ::)

That looks crazy bad. There's no reason why wood of the existing height (if maintained properly) would be unsafe. Stupid kneejerk reaction if you ask me.

It looks like it should be some kind of Asian prison now. :'(

As I previously said about the new fencing aesthetics, as ridiculous and OTT a reaction they are, they will not remain in such an ugly state once the season is over. It's lucky that the park haven't been forced to implement such fencing on Rameses Revenge and Runaway Train seeing as their raised walk ways are just as high with the same wooden front. Instead they've just replaced and applied more wood. Though what's interesting (and ironic) is that many children were standing on the metal fencing and swinging from it in the same area Jessica fell.

That is hideous.

The problem with putting in metal backup fence to the same height as the old one would have been what? Or fitting strapping on the outside of the fence so bits can't fall off? Also, it now looks like an enticing climbing frame to a child.

So it must have cost a fortune, it looks awful and I would suggest is actually less safe. Well done to everyone involved.

I visited saturday and I have to say I did not see this, it is a real shame because certain parts of the park have real charm and character (e.g. Rameses Revenge Area) and I loved the way you walk ontop of the shops like a real market town, it was magical.

Things like this are just a half hearted way of fixing the problem, Merlin style of course. There are plenty of other options they could have chosen to keep the theme but make it safer which wouldnt have been so expensive either!

That really isn't very pretty is it? Could it not be that a report into the accident has dictated how high the fencing must be?

Hope they manage to theme it somehow over the closed season!

This is what annoys me about alot of members, a decision has been made in a park that happens to be owned by Merlin and Merlin gets the blame. How do we know that the decision to install metal railings wasn't inforced by the Heath and safety officials in order for the attraction to re-open and have a queue line ? I'm no Merlin appologist but can we atleast think about things before we go and play the blame game.

On the case of theming, yes theming is nice and make's a ride but safety is paramount and the number one priority over theming. Yes they could have come up with something more creative but i'm my oppinion they went with the most practical safety measure (as long as the gaps between each railing arn't big enough for children to get there heads stuck in). I know there might be afew members who will go and say "if it was maintained properly this wouldn't have happened and there would be no need for railings", yes this might be true but its easy to say in hindsight after its already happened. On another point children will try and climb on most things so that will always be a problem but most parents will tell their children to get down anyway.

The health and safety executive do not tell anyone to put up a big ass ugly fence. They provide a list of criteria to be fulfilled in any given situation to make it as safe as possible. How the owners implement these requirements is up to them. CWOA have stupidly done this to fulfil whatever criteria they were given, when they should have done something else more sensible.

I know it is nothing really in the scheme of things, but this constant chipping away of themeing all adds up and slowly your theme park turns into a funfair. Escapism is all in the detail.

I'd say the bins in the pics detract from the themeing more than the new railings do. In my personal oppinion they don't look too bad and atleast they painted them a stone yellow colour rather than left them bare metal or another colour. I'd say it blends in quite well.

I think I would have prefered metal to yellow. You can't make a fence like that out of stone, just as you can't make metal railings look like stone nomatter how you paint them. Either wood of metal would fit the theme. Given it's Egyptian, wood would be my first choice, but since that cleary wasn't good enough after 20 years without incident, then an iron or bronze effect would look better.

Can I just say, the fences are not finished and will be themes this coming off season.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2