• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I can see why Chessington would have done this though. It will be very quiet so you could easily acomplish all the attractions and the halloween festivities by 5pm. The only thing that everyone would miss out on is the rides in the dark, which tbh at 7pm it aint that great!

Themeparkmania said:
The only thing that everyone would miss out on is the rides in the dark, which tbh at 7pm it aint that great!
Eh? :eek: Night time riding at Chessington ftw!

:D

Nah, he means that 7pm closures limits the amount of night riding available...

It's daft, though in my experience the park was usually dead post 6pm anyways... Chessie was weird like that...

Last year we managed to get on all three coasters and Kobra between 6-7pm with a push, it's a shame it's not until 8 but the park was so quiet as you said really early.

Really disappointed that they are sticking to 7pm times.

For me the park has a brilliant Halloween atmosphere, and the rides at night are sensational.

It is amazing how many people I know with kids, who don't visit, as they have a very understated opinion of the place. Not negatively, just apathy.

They really are not operating to full potential, something is missing - opening later and attracting visitors from further afield is more than possible, I just don't understand why this isn't happening.

Such a shame for an amazing park.

TheMan said:
They really are not operating to full potential, something is missing - opening later and attracting visitors from further afield is more than possible, I just don't understand why this isn't happening.

Such a shame for an amazing park.

There is a distinct issue with potential (indeed, on a ride scale, they could do so much more than have numerous 200 pph attractions) at the park, but the earlier closures are based around the locals...

Vampire is the main problem, as it's located right on the Monkey Puzzle and Hotel (opposite side of the lift hill), this means late openings (I think 10 was the agreed latest ever time they could open) are not a viable option...

Not opening till 8 is silly though, especially when you have the best transport links in the country...

There are lots of things the park could do to improve itself (better overall throughput attractions, pushing throughputs on their big rides, fixing itself up on a massive scale, actual new attractions, etc), just a lack of budget given to it... It's a weird one indeed...

Benzin said:
There is a distinct issue with potential (indeed, on a ride scale, they could do so much more than have numerous 200 pph attractions) at the park, but the earlier closures are based around the locals...

Vampire is the main problem, as it's located right on the Monkey Puzzle and Hotel (opposite side of the lift hill), this means late openings (I think 10 was the agreed latest ever time they could open) are not a viable option...

Not opening till 8 is silly though, especially when you have the best transport links in the country...

There are lots of things the park could do to improve itself (better overall throughput attractions, pushing throughputs on their big rides, fixing itself up on a massive scale, actual new attractions, etc), just a lack of budget given to it... It's a weird one indeed...

Thank you for the info re Vampire, I think 10 is a bit daft anyway for a largely kiddies park - 8pm however felt just right, late enough for the older ones/farther traveled to get a real good day, riding in the dark, and atmosphere to build - but not so late as to completely dismiss the context of those who visit.

8pm was perfect for them, it seems most of us here agree, I spent most of the money in the last half hour buying hot drinks, donuts etc - other than saving money, and giving guests less value or opportunity to visit, I can't make any sense of it either.

Open till 8 you also give people the chance for an evening visit for a 2/3 decent hours. Why not offer "after 4" tickets to attract mums/kids after school like Alton do? 4 hours, reduced price, if you live local, to experience the park activities and atmosphere would surely attract more custom, as well as MAP holders?

Hey, what do I know though, not like I am sitting here running a theme park is it lol?

I reckon, literally the reason behind reducing the hours was because the expense of staff and whatever other outgoings there are absolutely outweighed any potential income (i.e. the park was dead) throughout the late openings...

I think when I worked there possibly 2 days out of 2 years of working at Halloween Half Term were packed... And those were the weekends (once when Thorpe closed and sent everyone to Chessie and Vamps was down </3)

Chessie is able to open til late, I've been there on an 11pm park close (for an event). However, vampire cannot run after 10pm so queue shuts before that etc.

In it's heyday, the park used to regularly open till 21:00 in the summer.

Is the reason for these earlier closing times not down to the fact that it's in quite an affluent area and the locals reject any plans they submit, much like Alton? That was my understanding anyway :)

It seems that some folks above with work experience there, know it can be open later, with quite detailed reasoning. I'll take their information as it makes sense. You'd have to go some, to get a theme park to close at 7pm for noise issues that wouldn't create more problems during the day.

7pm has to be a park decision, instead of getting stuck into marketing, which they are not very good at (it is their weakness in my opinion, it's a friendly park, and their marketing seems to reflect that - ooh, we are here, come visit us sometime if it isn't too much trouble).

The thing is, they are an attraction worth traveling a distance too, when they have hours that reflect that.

They are easily a national standard attraction, it just amazes me how few people even know the place still even exists, or even existed in the first place.

I'd like to get a hold of this park, probably more than Alton Towers

In an email from the MAP team:

GIRAFFE_TRANSPORT2.jpg

We're delighted to announce our giraffes have arrived at the Chessington World of Adventures Resort, they'll be part of our new ride for 2013 - Zufari: Ride into Africa. They've been busy making themselves at home and are excited to meet you at the Passholder Preview Days on the 16th & 17th March - more information will be sent next week so keep an eye on your inbox!

Basically I am trying to answer a question I have been stuck with for a while. What was The Vampire's original queue and exit path? The queue in 1990 was changed soon after to start with the long walk through the trees that you just about have today.

The original gateway entrance took you down steep steps, which Fastrack utilises today:

Vampire28.jpg

From there it ended up next to the station building and travelled underneath the break run in a tunnel, then gone up steps to reach ground height (at what is today the merge point), then travelled into the crypt corridor, then the station.

Another thing is the exit path, I have always felt the current bare exit path is out of place for such a theme emphasis ride. And it seems from the promotional photo below that it did not force you into the shop, instead it came out parallel with the shop under a balustrade, which is today covered by game stalls.

20001.jpg

If somebody knows then it would be great to solve this.

EDIT
I've been told the queue did indeed take the same route as the current Fastrack queue, with a small cattle pen area to the right of the gateway entrance.

Would just like to say Creaky Cafe looks a lot nicer in person, the green isn't as bright on the eyes as the pics have made it out...

Needs better seating granted, but it's better than what it was...

Also, the HELL have they done to Fangtasia shop? Looks so vile </3

I haven't been to Chessington since I was like, six - I'm now 24! I'm collecting the tokens out of the Sun newspaper and I was just wondering whether Chessington have any traditional events like a Scarefest or Fireworks? Will help me decide on what dates to attempt to get tickets for, I guess a firework event is unlikely due to spooking the animals!

Many thanks!

NickT04 said:
I haven't been to Chessington since I was like, six - I'm now 24! I'm collecting the tokens out of the Sun newspaper and I was just wondering whether Chessington have any traditional events like a Scarefest or Fireworks? Will help me decide on what dates to attempt to get tickets for, I guess a firework event is unlikely due to spooking the animals!

Many thanks!

They have Halloween Hocus Pocus as their Halloween event, which runs from 19th October to 4th November 2013. :)

Lottie. said:
NickT04 said:

Many thanks!

They have Halloween Hocus Pocus as their Halloween event, which runs from 19th October to 4th November 2013. :)

Ah excellant, I shall try my luck with applying around that time then! Thanks!

Had a great time today visiting Chessington with Chessington Buzz. The park was a bit busy for Feb Half term but it didn't stop me ruining my day. We manage to get on Bubbleworks 3 times (Including a reride), Buccaneer Twice and a ride on the Carousel.

Looking forward to when the park fully opens next month =)