• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I do actually hope this prompts a rethink, the name is so childish.

It’s the equivalent of them calling Vampire ‘Bat Swing’ or Nemesis ‘Alien Coaster’.

Can’t they use some imagination?

@AT86 I think that Chessington World Of Adventures should call the new Drop Tower Sobeck’s Shoot Up. @AT86 what do you think of my name idea, compared to that of Chessington World Of Adventures? I’m glad that the Trade Mark has been apposed as hopefully Chessy will be inspired to think of a much more exiting and thought about name. I just hope that this development does not delay the opening of this new ride. In my opinion Chessy have been extremely unlucky as of late. Firstly closing twice due to the Coronavirus secondly the Blue Barnacle sailing in 8 months late and now finally the name of one of their new rides being apposed just 4 and a half months before it’s scheduled grand-opening!

I very much hope that 2021 brings better luck to Chessington World Of Adventures!!

Kind regards Professor Burp

auf wiedersehen

Thankfully Sobek Drop is a fairly easy adjustment to make to the logo.

Jsn15gS.jpg

Well Sobek was an Ancient Egyptian God that looked like a human with a crocodile head, he is associated with power and protection so there is clearly scope for a storyline here. I very much hope they go that way rather that 'croc drop'.

Sounds like a case of marketing out ruling the creatives. "The public won't know what a 'Sobek' is, it will be Croc Drop *rounds of applause*"

Well Sobek was an Ancient Egyptian God that looked like a human with a crocodile head, he is associated with power and protection so there is clearly scope for a storyline here. I very much hope they go that way rather that 'croc drop'.
To think if they went with the Sobek story and thought ahead then they could have themed 3 rides to it, Croc Drop, Tomb Blaster & Tiger Falls - Tomb Blaster set the story, Tiger Falls do the journey and Croc Drop do the escape :D or something like that...anything would be better than Tomb Blaster right now

Last edited:
Why would a flat ride need to tell a story? It just needs a good setting and theme to be entertaining.

The scenery for this one looks more substantial than Merlin’s usual for a small ride, which is brilliant. But disappointingly it looks shaping up to be another beige blobby rockwork animal head, ‘look at me Im some theming and I satisfy the marketing criteria that it must be animal themed’, while not actually looking that good or making much difference to the ride experience.

It even looks like they’ve deliberately painted the temple grey and dirty to blend in with the aged dirty surrounding buildings, what?

But I hope to be proven wrong when it’s finished!

Merlins creative team remind me of myself when I follow a meal recipe I haven’t done before and I end up really enjoying it. I will end up making it several times over a short period and then forget about it.

It seems their current trend is make some sort of giant effigy or creature and stick a ride around it.

At least we seem to have passed their shipping container and scaffolding phases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Amazing. So it actually is Crocs who are objecting to the name.

Surprised Merlin haven’t just offered them a good sponsorship deal. ;)

24 NOVEMBER 2020

American footwear manufacturer Crocs is opposing the naming of a forthcoming drop ride at Chessington World of Adventures.

The Surrey theme park’s operator Merlin Entertainments filed a trademark application to name the ride ‘Croc Drop’ earlier this year.

US company Crocs, Inc has now filed an opposition case to the application with the British government. The case is currently under review.

The 25-metre drop tower ride is scheduled to open next year, and is expected to be based loosely around the Egyptian crocodile god Sobek.

The ride’s planning application last year revealed that water would be sprayed at riders as they freefall into a 12-metre high crocodile mouth structure

https://riderater.co.uk/8602/crocs-opposes-new-chessington-drop-ride-name/