• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Well, since we don't know what's actually going on around Tomb Blaster, let's change the topic, shall we?

I know, anyone got any Mascot ideas that the Park should use on site?
Hmm... usually the park just use IP mascots (currently the Gruffalo, before they used characters from Madagascar). I think it would be nice for Chessington to have their own mascot (I think that is something that UK parks are missing in general), the image of a 19th century British explorer seems to sums up the whole premise of Chessington for me.

Can we stick to the actual topic please instead of a who’s right and who’s wrong discussion when all we currently see is…a fence. If more concrete information comes up, then fine but at the minute we’re dealing with nothing other than speculation still.

Just to confirm, this is a topic for discussion about Chessington, not a place for gloating too ;)

I hate gloating, but I told you i was right
796bW5WcRLUZUqfJ9

I always thought the ideal Mascot for Chessington Would always be Dr Chessington himself from that one old advert in the 90s. I think he captures Chessington perfectly. Discovering new things, exploring the world, and having a fun time. IDK, it just feels right for him to be the main Mascot for the park.

@Trooper Looper I personally like the idea of Dr Chessington returning. The downfall of this mascot is that he looked like Jimmy Seville. Unfortunately a high percentage of the Children visiting Chessington will have parents who grow up with Seville. This will make people repell from Chessington due to Saviles crimes

@Trooper Looper I personally like the idea of Dr Chessington returning. The downfall of this mascot is that he looked like Jimmy Seville. Unfortunately a high percentage of the Children visiting Chessington will have parents who grow up with Seville. This will make people repell from Chessington due to Saviles crimes

Ah.... didn't think of that. Didn't know any of that. Maybe instead bring back Abdab as an interactive character hang around Tomb Blasters Exterior. On the plus side, he doesn't really resemble a famous celebrity to have committed crimes.

Ah.... didn't think of that. Didn't know any of that. Maybe instead bring back Abdab as an interactive character hang around Tomb Blasters Exterior. On the plus side, he doesn't really resemble a famous celebrity to have committed crimes.

I can’t tell if this is scarcasm or not.

But Abdab is not exactly a suitable character either and hasn’t been for a long time. It was one of the reasons for his removal in 2002.

I can’t tell if this is scarcasm or not.

But Abdab is not exactly a suitable character either and hasn’t been for a long time. It was one of the reasons for his removal in 2002.

I can tell you that I'm not being sarcastic the slightest, apart from the last sentence that is.

I dont see much reason to hold him back from returning as a mascot for the area.

It's fine to have forign characters in entertainment. In fact, it'd be pretty damn racist if noone else was represented in the industry, wouldn't it?

People don't understand racism.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think people are saying that there's anything wrong with using foreign characters in attractions by any means.

In fact, I personally believe that when the culture being represented is approached sensitively and well researched, foreign characters/themes can be brilliant for promoting diversity within our parks, as well as promoting acceptance of other cultures. Given the events of the last year or so, what with the BLM movement taking the world by storm, I think that promoting diversity, as well as acceptance of and equality for other cultures, is perhaps more important than ever.

However, based on what I've seen, I'm not sure that Abdab fits this description. The character does look like a bit of a stereotype to me, and I'm doubtful that that type of character would be seen as an acceptable thing to have within an attraction in 2021. In the 1990s when Terror Tomb was created, it may well have been, but the world is a very different place now, with a very different attitude to how other cultures are portrayed.

I'm also unsure if Dr Chessington, or the way in which he was represented in the 1990s at least, would fly in the current era, albeit for different reasons...

People do complain about the evil characters in Indiana Jones! Personally, I watch Raiders and especially Temple of Doom these days and cringe more than a little at the representation of villains and white saviour tropes. But they're still excellent films, and often knowingly silly, something to be seen in context of the time they were made.

Unlike 80-something Indy, I do not think that Terror Tomb is coming back from its robbed Egyptian grave, and if it were, I very much doubt Abdab would be a part of it. It would seem ludicrous in 2021.

By the way, I'd never considered that Dr. Chessington resembled Jimmy Saville. I have to admit that I let out something of a laugh from a dark place when it clicked. I also realised that I had always remembered him as an illustrated/animated character, but what I had in my head was an amalgamation of Professor Burp and Professor Wheeto. An absolute mascot mix-up, and make no mistake.

Sigh, the nineties really are a long way away now, aren't they? :confused1:

People do complain about the evil characters in Indiana Jones! Personally, I watch Raiders and especially Temple of Doom these days and cringe more than a little at the representation of villains and white saviour tropes. But they're still excellent films, and often knowingly silly, something to be seen in context of the time they were made.

Unlike 80-something Indy, I do not think that Terror Tomb is coming back from its robbed Egyptian grave, and if it were, I very much doubt Abdab would be a part of it. It would seem ludicrous in 2021.

By the way, I'd never considered that Dr. Chessington resembled Jimmy Saville. I have to admit that I let out something of a laugh from a dark place when it clicked. I also realised that I had always remembered him as an illustrated/animated character, but what I had in my head was an amalgamation of Professor Burp and Professor Wheeto. An absolute mascot mix-up, and make no mistake.

Sigh, the nineties really are a long way away now, aren't they? :confused1:

Time flies when you're enjoying yourself.

Given that the era in which Dr Chessington was created is when I'm led to believe that Saville was still seen as a saviour of British family entertainment as opposed to a disgraced sex offender, I'm curious as to whether the resemblance would even have been coincidental... despite Saville's crimes and modern day reputation, I can imagine that making your mascot similar to him would have been quite the hit in the early 1990s!

From what I'd seen of Dr Chessington previously, I always thought that Doc Brown from the Back to the Future franchise would have been more of an inspiration, as I always thought he looked a lot like Doc Brown... but after having taken another look, I'll admit that the Jimmy Saville comparisons are certainly understandable; now it's been pointed out to me, the resemblance is something I can't unsee!

Last edited:
Zappomatic for a Mascot Potentially? Downside is that there's not area for him to really be in. Chessington gave up on the Sci- Fi stuff long ago.