• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Here is a good pre-creation of Mandrill Mayhem. Although no official POV has been filmed on the ride yet, this gives a good impression. And still, since the plans for this ride first emerged, I ask myself “Why?!” for the layout. There are probably many answers and none will still make me think otherwise. Its layout is so unique but I also find it odd to ride something backwards, down the same piece of track that you have just travelled forwards on. I’m sure it’ll be a good ride and I’ll try it out, mainly because it’ll be my second wing coaster ride, but I won’t be an enthusiast.

Swarm hands down every time. 😏

I don't think the 'profile' of the swinging of the Vekoma trains has changed since their introduction. It's different to that of the Arrow ones, but don't think that they have regressed.

The Arrow trains felt like they took less to swing, but the momentum of the swing was dampened more and died off quicker. Perhaps. Dunno, been 20 years.

I don't think the 'profile' of the swinging of the Vekoma trains has changed since their introduction. It's different to that of the Arrow ones, but don't think that they have regressed.

The Arrow trains felt like they took less to swing, but the momentum of the swing was dampened more and died off quicker. Perhaps. Dunno, been 20 years.
The arrow ones probably swinger more because of the weight of the older trains, this also explains why the swinging would die out quicker if you think of it.

Can anyone think of a less exciting custom coaster that's ever been produced? And still none of this makes any sense.

The list of potential inverting family thrill coasters is bigger than ever and that we've ended up with this will forever be a mystery locked away in the Merlin HQ Marketing department.

Is it actually going to launch backwards first as well?

The list of potential inverting family thrill coasters is bigger than ever and that we've ended up with this will forever be a mystery locked away in the Merlin HQ Marketing department.

Is it actually going to launch backwards first as well?
I would assume the main reason is the deal with B&M, and the size of the area they had to work with. A conventional B&M layout probably wouldn't have been compact enough leave space to be able to get the other rides in there too so they had it wrapping round the area, also as it is a shuttle they're still getting a long-ish ride but saving money as there is less actual track.

Yes I would assume it will need to be a swing launch to get the speed up to get round that track.

Last edited:
I actually like it. It's very unique and will be a great ride for its target audience.

I think it looks boring. Nothing anywhere near the family-thrill level of coasters like Wicker Man, Colorado Adventure, Big Grizzly Mountain, Pégase Express, Van Helsing's Factory etc.

It just isn't dynamic in the slightest based on evidence so far. I really hope it delivers for the park, as we have waited so long for a coaster investment here.

I think it looks boring. Nothing anywhere near the family-thrill level of coasters like Wicker Man, Colorado Adventure, Big Grizzly Mountain, Pégase Express, Van Helsing's Factory etc.

It just isn't dynamic in the slightest based on evidence so far. I really hope it delivers for the park, as we have waited so long for a coaster investment here.

Valid opinion. I think it will be a lot better than in looks. Let's hope so anyway.

It’s a ride for a theme park aimed at families and children. If it was going to be more thrilling, the whole area would’ve been put in Thorpe. Family thrill wise it looks perfect, although more judgement will be made when it opens.

It’s a ride for a theme park aimed at families and children. If it was going to be more thrilling, the whole area would’ve been put in Thorpe. Family thrill wise it looks perfect, although more judgement will be made when it opens.

You may have missed my point. I didn't say it was meant to be a thrill ride. I am talking about dynamics.

There are family/thrill coasters out there that are plainly more dynamic than this - I listed some of them, but Wicker Man is a prime example. Hell, Dragon's Fury in the same park is plainly more dynamic than this coaster. Many people say "but it's a family ride" when people criticise Th13teen;s track layout for being so utterly compromised by trim brakes and the like. "Family ride" should not be a get out clause when a ride is plainly just lacking either because the layout is limited or the forces are so cut down.

I could of course be totally wrong, but given B&M Wing Coasters are generally quite sluggish through elements anyway due to the trains, I am not holding out much hope that this will be especially exciting.

I understood the first time. Don’t expect this to be as fast as The Swam, because I suspect it won’t. That can be slow at times, but it’s suited to the ride.

If they wanted to go with B&M and wanted a low height coaster suitable for families, then surely they shouldn't have gone with such a large, expensive, lumbering model that's mainly suited to much bigger more thrill oriented layouts?

I don't believe they've ever sold one worldwide yet, but B&M do list a family sit down model on their website. Maybe if they'd bought one of them instead we could have had something more agile, interesting and dynamic with a more substantial full circuit layout running 2 or 3 trains or something?

If they wanted to go with B&M and wanted a low height coaster suitable for families, then surely they shouldn't have gone with such a large, expensive, lumbering model that's mainly suited to much bigger more thrill oriented layouts?

I don't believe they've ever sold one worldwide yet, but B&M do list a family sit down model on their website. Maybe if they'd bought one of them instead we could have had something more agile, interesting and dynamic with a more substantial full circuit layout running 2 or 3 trains or something?

This. My point is exactly this.

Can one of our resident clairvoyant doom mongers boom over next week's lottery numbers please ?

Maybe if Chessington had bought a coaster which goes forwards all the time rather than backwards for half of it, then I might be more excited about the whole ride. But no, they can’t even do that. 🙄