• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I’m all for different rides but my point is it doesn’t go anywhere but back along where it came from! What a design!

So do family boomerangs? They're perfectly adequate. Not to mention this is only the second coaster in the UK to invert in reverse, and for a lot of people, will be the only one they have done/ever will.

The main priority with this coaster should have been capacity, which, despite what JW claims, will probably still be quite poor on this.

To me boomerangs never really feel as fulfilling as full circuit coasters so it's personally difficult to find this project overly exciting.

The layout doesn't really do much either.

Last edited:
Because family doesn't have to equal a Wacky Worm?

This is hardly X2, is it.

It doesn’t but you do have to question going for such an expensive thrill model to provide this type of ride experience when other ride models would almost certainly have given more bang for the spend. It’s also a notoriously sluggish ride system due to the size of train and isn’t particularly guest efficient for loading/ unloading.

That said until it is seen in action these are concerns not certainty.

Those might be fair criticisms but let's see how it rides, like you say. With the cost of B&Ms you could suggest that no one should ever go for them because you can almost always get something bigger, faster, etc - parks buy them for their quality and engineering. Chessington have enough maintenance and operational headaches without buying another one.

I'm not particularly invested in this project at all, but I do find it bizarre how we had pages complaining about how Chessington bought from SBF for Croc Drop and we now have pages complaining that they went for B&M for this thing.

A deep seated culture of negativity, you could say.

I do find it bizarre how we had pages complaining about how Chessington bought from SBF for Croc Drop and we now have pages complaining that they went for B&M for this thing.

It's not that bizarre really, both are good examples of poor value management just 2 different extremes. I think people are more commenting on the very simple boomerang layout they went for out of all the possibilities.

I don't know any other family theme park in Europe that has a collection quite like Chessington, a super rare converted Arrow suspended coaster, a wobbly Maurer spinner, 2 Jungle Buses, 2 rockin tugs and 2 log flumes next to each other. And now a launched B&M boomerang prototype! It's certainly unique, but I can't share your confidence that there's careful method to the madness

I understood the first time.
From your response it's quite clear you didn't!

I also think we've seen enough now for it to be clear that there's nothing clever going on to solve the capacity issue, despite comments to the contrary. It'll just have poor capacity.

It’s a ride for a theme park aimed at families and children. If it was going to be more thrilling, the whole area would’ve been put in Thorpe. Family thrill wise it looks perfect, although more judgement will be made when it opens.

Flight Of The Pterosaur at Paultons is a family thrill ride which doesn’t invert but looks a lot more interesting and thrilling than this ride that does have an inversion but looks a little boring. Obviously the proof will be in riding it by the layout just doesn’t look that interesting compared to other coasters that you might put in to the family thrill category.

We can't judge Mandrill Mayhem yet, but it seems fairly certain that Chessington could do much better layout wise. I believe that it will be a success though because it is suited to Chessington's age bracket.

It's weirder when a fellow Merlin Park is getting a non-shuttle version of the same ride type.

That would at least solve the capacity problems to a degree.

For me it's just a weird choice. Individually the elements would work for Chessie. An Anubis/Juvelen/Manta would be ideal for the park; a Jr Boomerang would as well if it came with another bigger addition. A clone of the one in Germany would work too.

It's just a pure dartboard of ride types mixed together. As mentioned, it's completely the other end of buying from a terrible manufacturer, but building something that doesn't fix some of the fundamental problems of the park where a number of suitable alternatives are available.

Flight Of The Pterosaur at Paultons is a family thrill ride which doesn’t invert but looks a lot more interesting and thrilling than this ride that does have an inversion but looks a little boring. Obviously the proof will be in riding it by the layout just doesn’t look that interesting compared to other coasters that you might put in to the family thrill category.

This I think is the issue, Paulton are putting out new coasters than look better. Will have to see what it rides like, but seems like there are better options down at PP compared to CWoA.

I don't know any other family theme park in Europe that has a collection quite like Chessington, a super rare converted Arrow suspended coaster, a wobbly Maurer spinner, 2 Jungle Buses, 2 rockin tugs and 2 log flumes next to each other. And now a launched B&M boomerang prototype! It's certainly unique, but I can't share your confidence that there's careful method to the madness
The wobbly Maurer Sohne. 😆 I’ve been told the lift hill is meant to wobble like that, whether it’s true I don’t know. It certainly looks a little worrying at times. Spitball Whizzer has a bit of a wobble on it, but not as much as Fury.
From your response it's quite clear you didn't!
Oh I definitely did. 😏

Merlin will have got a cracking deal for this no doubt. They're single-handedly bankrolling B&M across the Legoland parks, Chessie's coaster and the Nemesis re-track.
And Claremount Steel Fabricators, who manufacture the track!

It would work if you were riding through a jungle. The closeness of the trees and potentisl near misses would make it feel faster and more thrilling. But we don't even have that. Unless a shed load of trees are going to be planted.

Indeed, I wish that Merlin would go for a few near miss elements on their family thrill coasters to give them some interesting moments. Both this and Thirteen are absolutely crying out a headchopper element or some near misses with the forest scenery or some rockwork. I’ve always thought that the billboard on Swarm was a great example of how some interaction with the scenery can really be a nice finishing touch on a ride.