• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I hate to do this to some of you but someone has to be the bearer of bad news.......maybe just maybe though you're getting a little too old for Chessington?

This park's main target audience isn't most of us. That's why they also own Thorpe which is less than an hour away.

I still think it’s possible to recognise that we might not be the direct target audience for this coaster, but also remain dubious or at least intrigued as to the choice of model and manufacturer.

Given the proliferation of B&Ms being installed at Merlin parks right now, I think it’s probably fair to deduce that the decision to install this was largely swayed by a larger deal. As for the selling points - bright, backwards, winged - they all come second fiddle to Jumanji IP itself. As has been highlighted in this thread, the market for affordable family thrill coasters is more dynamic than ever, and while I never expected to ever see a B&M at Chessington in the first place, it’s especially unexpected that it looks like this. Nonetheless, intrigued to see how it rides.

It’s always fatal to assess a ride based on off ride video but my gut reaction is this layout really doesn’t do much with the wing coaster seat positions. Most of the time it’s not changing it’s roll position which is the motion wing coasters enhance.

That said you never know until you ride it.

I hate to do this to some of you but someone has to be the bearer of bad news.......maybe just maybe though you're getting a little too old for Chessington?

This park's main target audience isn't most of us. That's why they also own Thorpe which is less than an hour away.
And as a non breeder, that is why I have never managed to get to ride Vampire in all these years, bloody kiddie park, go with the grown ups!

And as a non breeder, that is why I have never managed to get to ride Vampire in all these years, bloody kiddie park, go with the grown ups!

I have been once a long long time agao and managed to get a single ride in tbf. Wasn't worth the wait of like 70mins though.

I have a son who is nearly 9 and also happens to love the Jumanji films so we are thinking of going this year. But like you.... without him I doubt I'd step foot in the place as it's not really meant for me. I'd sooner go to Towers.

Will be using my great nephew as an excuse.
Did Thorpe with his dad and partner on Sun Freebies years ago...
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I do find it a little amusing that some people might think they are too old for Chessington when we have some enthusiasts that will go out of their way to specifically grab a wacky worm or other kiddie cred.

If you think you are too old for Chessington then perhaps just see it as a day out at a zoo with a few selected bonus rides thrown in.

Last edited:
I have to laugh at the idea of people thinking they are too old for Chessington when we have some enthusiasts that will go out of their way to specifically grab a wacky worm or other kiddie cred.

If you think you are too old for Chessington then perhaps just see it as a day out at a zoo with a few selected bonus rides thrown in.

And who is to say I don't think that's the case for them either. I specifically don't count creds because that's what ends up happening. You ride kiddie rides and I'm 6ft 5. I wouldn't be caught dead on a wacky worm personally.

Chessington's target audience is primarily young children. It's not thrill seekers. That's pretty much an accepted truth.

This is how I see it. The Zoo is actually really good.

We visit once a year on the Sun vouchers for a mooch around the zoo for a few hours, and a ride on Vampire and Dragons Fury.

Paultons though, I think it's difficult for me to justify a visit there as a 32 year old with no kids.

I do find it a little amusing that some people might think they are too old for Chessington when we have some enthusiasts that will go out of their way to specifically grab a wacky worm or other kiddie cred.

That's because thoosies who chase wacky wormies are weirdies!
Would not do that sort of park solo, nobody wanted to do the park with me, wouldn't dream of taking the wife, and I wouldn't do any zoo, even if you paid me!
Looking at depressed neurotic animals in limited spaces surrounded by concrete and wire is not my idea of fun.

And who is to say I don't think that's the case for them either. I specifically don't count creds because that's what ends up happening. You ride kiddie rides and I'm 6ft 5. I wouldn't be caught dead on a wacky worm personally.

Chessington's target audience is primarily young children. It's not thrill seekers. That's pretty much an accepted truth.

I’d say use that Chessington’s target audience is families rather “young children”, in terms of rides it’s quite different from say a Gulliver’s park which are specifically aimed at young children (ie under 10’s). Chessington is more family thrills, indeed young children wouldn’t even be able to go on Rattlesnake for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re definitely not the target audience for Chessington. If you want to go to a theme park enthusiasts’ utopia, go to Thorpe Park. Thorpe Park spend a lot of time making sure the enthusiasts are happy, which is why we get amazing attractions like Angry Birds Land and Derren Brown’s Ghost Train. Chessington isn’t aimed at people like us, which is why they’re never going to be build something like Angry Birds Land, pure and simple.

Me and the wife love chessington. She is not into thrill coasters so its really the only park where we go and ride together rather than her holding my coat while i go on the thrill coasters at Thorpe or AT

We have done vampire probable 20 times and have never waited more than 10mins. You need to go midweek during term time.

What is "people like us"?

Some of my best ever days out have been at Chessington. Went on a weekday, watched the animals, rode Dragon Falls three times in a row, spent ages on the bumper cars. Just a nice fun day out at a theme park.

The issue with Mandrill Mayhem is purely the capacity and the fact its a massive B&M when a cheaper manufacturer would probably have done just as well. I don't see why people saying its not for "people like us" is the problem.

I often preferred visiting Chessie over Thorpe when still living down south.

Generally nicer visits and atmosphere. This is probably gonna get me to visit even though the kid is way too young to gain any experience bar the animals.

It's just the addition of this considering the park's problems is just strange in some cases. Especially if they wanted a family thrill coaster.

What is "people like us"?

Some of my best ever days out have been at Chessington. Went on a weekday, watched the animals, rode Dragon Falls three times in a row, spent ages on the bumper cars. Just a nice fun day out at a theme park.

The issue with Mandrill Mayhem is purely the capacity and the fact its a massive B&M when a cheaper manufacturer would probably have done just as well. I don't see why people saying its not for "people like us" is the problem.
Yes, had lots of fun days at Camelot, and nearly had a season ticket for the 20 mile each way local bike rides, double hobby days if you will.
geography was the killer for me at Chessington though, all that way for a couple of family coasters and no willing company.
This will make me visit with family when they eventually go.

I often preferred visiting Chessie over Thorpe when still living down south.

Generally nicer visits and atmosphere. This is probably gonna get me to visit even though the kid is way too young to gain any experience bar the animals.

It's just the addition of this considering the park's problems is just strange in some cases. Especially if they wanted a family thrill coaster.
I agree. Thorpe's rides are far superior, but the atmosphere and layout of Chessie is much better.