• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

We've used the chessington premier inn as a base for the southern parks a couple of times a year for the last 5

Always go into london one day using the train and have never had a problem once either way
Cheers, I did look at that hotel but I'm going to a show in the evening and didn't want to risk missing the last train to Chessington South.

Glad I decided against it now with this possible strike talk, be annoying having to get a train to a hotel when the park might not be able to operate.

Always seemed to me Merlin never seemed to offer a decent wage in any department as they know people who want to work in the industry will take the jobs anyway. Something that's really effected them when it comes to staffing across the attractions the past 3 years.

Sorry I meant that I was comparing Paultons to Chessington, I was confused when people started comparing Paultons to Alton Towers which wasn't my intent.

Sorry, I only came here for the argument...
So, as a grown up, with no infant attachment or desires to take one, do you think it is now finally a good enough ride lineup to drag an old man down from the north, for the first time in over half a century?
Is it beery enough to keep the wife entertained on a wet, cold, weekday in termtime...(The only days I would visit)?
Does Chessington have nice charity shops and teashops for the elderly lady...she loved Chertsey.
Might be a full merlin pass next year.

So, as a grown up, with no infant attachment or desires to take one, do you think it is now finally a good enough ride lineup to drag an old man down from the north, for the first time in over half a century?
Is it beery enough to keep the wife entertained on a wet, cold, weekday in termtime...(The only days I would visit)?
Does Chessington have nice charity shops and teashops for the elderly lady...she loved Chertsey.
Just wait till next year and hit up exodus as well…

There's a garden centre next to the park (it's now a running joke in my family that Mum would rather go there!)
Perhaps once Jumanji is open it would be worth going to although the way we're going you may have strikes to contend with.

It'd be interesting if the strikes did happen. If they drafted in Towers and Thorpe technical staff they could have Mandrill Mayhem and Dragons Fury open, but no Rattlesnake or Vampire if you sign a ride type rather than a specific ride. Would be almost as bad as passholder day.

She got rather drunk at Thorpe last time..."It's just so concrete and grim...forced me into the bottle.
Then she got a favourite fancy label handbag for a tenth of retail and everything was fine!
So I'm sure she will want to go.
A Merlin pass as her surprise Christmas present could be the most hated ever!
And...does the garden centre have a bar?
...and it wouldn't be until next summer.

Tbh I'm sure a swarm engineer could safley check a mandrill train, but i doubt they would be able to test/ sign off the ride as the tech is different lim launched ?

That said its a bit of a no no in most cases to cover striking staff… with other roles

Tbh I'm sure a swarm engineer could safley check a mandrill train, but i doubt they would be able to test/ sign off the ride as the tech is different lim launched ?

That said its a bit of a no no in most cases to cover striking staff… with other roles

I'm not entirely sure how much Merlin care about breaking norms in terms of staff neglect.

I do expect this to be resolved with a payrise though before a single strike happens

I'd imagine if the Thorpe Park engineers are part of the same union they'd refuse to cover at Chessington. Even if they aren't part of the same union surely you wouldn't want to cross a picket line.

She got rather drunk at Thorpe last time..."It's just so concrete and grim...forced me into the bottle.
Then she got a favourite fancy label handbag for a tenth of retail and everything was fine!
So I'm sure she will want to go.
A Merlin pass as her surprise Christmas present could be the most hated ever!
And...does the garden centre have a bar?
...and it wouldn't be until next summer.
Garden centre doesn't have a bar, but there's also a Premier Inn/Beefeater next door which has a bar.

It's a solid garden centre but the cafe/restaurant is a bit crap.

Inside the park there's the Smokehouse BBQ where you can get a pint with indoor and outdoor seating.

There's also the on site hotel where you could nip in for a drink.

Just make sure you go on a school day! Will have everything done in a few hours.

Not the sort of place for a hot Saturday in August, I'm well aware of avoiding all non schooldays!
Three places for her to have a beer, one in the park, that should keep me going.

For what it's worth as a fellow northerner.....I wouldn't make the trip unless my son really wanted to go.

We only did Paultons on the year Tornado Springs opened because we stayed in Bournemouth for a week which is just up the road. I wouldn't do that journey just for the park even though it's a very nicely kept one with some nice attractions. There's just not enough to drag me down to these places.

I don't go to Thorpe much either. Haven't been for years.

I hate to admit it, but a chip card is usually about my person on park trips.
My good lady even has the benefit of one of those cordless communication devices.
When she remembers to charge the bugger up that is.

Phew, wouldn’t like to hear of someone both at Thorpe Park and without access to alcohol. Terrifying thought.