• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Just looking at recent reviews, someone was complaining about ride closures, specifically mentioning Tiger Rock.

Chessington replied saying it was open and 2000 people had ridden that day. Now it might have had downtime, but 2000 a day? It’s a continuous loading log flume, this thing should be getting at least 1000 people an hour.

With all day closures (including extra rides that are closed which aren’t even listed on the app, such as Scorpion Express) and awful operations even on the rides that should munch through queues, it goes someway to explain 80 mins for a bloomin’ wave swinger. They are just incompetent at running a theme park at this point.

39FCC3B1-CCB6-4E76-8C81-61AC3A936D31.jpeg
Even with Chessington’s throughputs, one assumes there must have been quite a bit of downtime to end up with a grand total of 2,000 riders. One of the problems with Tiger Rock, is they can’t start it with guests on the ride, so if there’s any downtime they have to do a full evacuation before the engineers can even begin working on it. But 2000 riders in a day is pretty embarassing.

Hopefully in the coming years Paulton’s can raise their profile outside of being known just as Peppa Pig World to some and give the Southern Merlin parks a little more competition. Obviously I know it’s some way out from London (68 miles from Chessington according to Google maps) but it’s a great example of a family park doing things right.

The ride availability and queue times can be shocking at Chessington, if I lived somewhere that was in fairly easy distance of both Chessington and Paulton’s it really wouldn’t be any contest as to which one I’d want to visit. I hate to think how long the queues are going to be for Mandril Mayhem during school trip season if you have a day when several of the parks other big attractions go down.

I honestly think they need to change their name, branding and a few more older areas of the park before they start going down that route.
Paultons park just sounds budget to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Park looks a disgrace again today.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
It's wierd as Chessington has had loads of work done over winter. This week has been an absolute shambles, I'd be fuming if I'd driven down to London and most of thier coasters were closed. I don't know how Merlin manage to pull it off.

The park has had loads of cosmetic work done over winter. It seems they haven't addressed any of the underlying problems.

Related: Is the Monkey Swinger queue REALLY 90min? The idea of waiting more than 15 minutes for a chair swing just seems utterly absurd but nowadays it seems there's no limit to how bad things can get there so I can't be 100% sure it's not an accurate figure. Either way I have no intention of finding out for myself.

I briefly popped to Chessie to join by friends last Sunday on the way down south. The park was actually fairly quiet, with most rides fairly walk on, except vampire which had 90 on its board all afternoon due to it being on one train.

Rattlesnake, Sealife, scorpion express, and some of the minor rides also never opened all day, and dragons fury opened 15 mins to ride close (fair play to them for actually opening at all). But for a theme park that’s only just opened he season they shouldn’t have so much downtime. Especially when their Christmas event is awful with barely any rides open.

Even during the couple of hours I was on park I saw multiple downtimes on rides, we even got stuck on the gruffolo for about 15 mins. That ride was a bit of a state too with half the effects not working and the lighting and audio all over the place.

Meanwhile down the road Legoland don’t seem to be having anywhere near as many issues. It’s ridiculous how Vampire has been closed for days now, arguably one of the most popular rides on park. It didn’t even open over winter so can’t use that as an excuse for being behind on maintenance. 120min queue for dragons fury, I’d be willing to bet it’s more than that in reality.

I fear things are only going to get worse once the Jumanji area opens and the park is even busier than usual.

It seems parking charges have had quite the jump at Chessington, not sure when they changed but previously it was £4, lower than the other parks and not surprising since you were just parking on grass.

Not anymore it seems, they even charge more for school holidays parking now.

EB241C31-7F16-4F84-9E0E-BFBD91E3E693.jpeg

Couple of recent photos from trip advisor showing what conditions you get for your £8.

BCD0F9F6-AD12-465C-9E9E-C941D49917EA.png
D0624E42-3ADB-4C4F-AF66-6C1D689431A4.png

Am I right to recall that a large proportion of the major rides were removed from the winter schedule, with the inference that this was because of extensive maintenance requirements on said rides? That being the case, I’m guessing that maintenance either wasn’t successful or just wasn’t done.

Am I right to recall that a large proportion of the major rides were removed from the winter schedule, with the inference that this was because of extensive maintenance requirements on said rides? That being the case, I’m guessing that maintenance either wasn’t successful or just wasn’t done.

Yes I believe so. They pulled the ride line up from the Christmas event citing maintenance requirements. So even with the added month they haven’t got the work completed.

South car park has been like that forever. Made worse now it would seem by it being the de facto 'main' car park with most of the main one being seemingly reserved for hotel guests.

I'm... not sure if they can do anything massively to not have it an awful swampy mess.