• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I wonder if they are getting block faults if they run them normally. Still, be better to fix the issue rather than work around it but that's Chessington all over

Also the unhappy maintenance crew issue may raise its head again. If they're being....less motivated about fixing it (it's on the list, the ride functions so we'll get around to it) management might have just said blow it, run it as is with the procedure in place.

The staff - techies, ops and area manager all looked as fed up as we were queuing for it after ride close. They'd be better off operating with two cars so at least one car isn't sat there waiting for a tediously long time.

I think if Scorpion Express was able to open then they wouldn't bother opening Rattlesnake until whatever the current issue is has been resolved. Only being able to run it with one car on the circuit at a time is completely inadequate and results in a hideously tedious queueing experience. It was pretty clear that the staff were not enjoying it either, although kudos to the manager who was working on the ride and having a good laugh with us about it.

It was however good to see that Vampire and Tomb Blaster were being operated much better than on my last visit.

Meanwhile, I believe Croc Drop is still opening later...

More responses to reviews by Chessington that aren’t quite the reply they think they are.

I am not sure I would admit that with less than 50% capacity attendance my theme park had 7 rides with a queue over one hour. That just highlights how woefully the place is run.

Chessington Response to review by Gemma P on Tripadvisor said:
Whilst some of our bigger rides did experience high demand with a wide breadth of rides on offer only 7 of our rides showed queue times of excess of 1 hour- which we of course apologise for. With a gate figure of less than half our permitted capacity we disagree that we were at any point over crowded but openly admit that demand for bigger rides meant that these queues were high.
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
More responses to reviews by Chessington that aren’t quite the reply they think they are.

I am not sure I would admit that with less than 50% capacity attendance my theme park had 7 rides with a queue over one hour. That just highlights how woefully the place is run.

View attachment 5090
I honestly have no idea who they've picked to do their social media. These sorts of defensive and argumentative replies are really not helping their cause.

"We're sorry you were at our park most likely with a couple of tired and disappointed kids in tow who got on barely anything. If only you annoyed them even further by taking them off to see us at guest services before you left we could've called you a liar to your face"

7 queues over an hour at 'less than half the park's permitted capacity'.

Say no more.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I was there today and didn’t have that sort of experience. I can see why others have a bad time there if it’s busy.

Rattlesnake is operating normally again with four cars.

The queues were massively over estimated. Between 4-6 we had Vampire’s queue estimated at 45-60 mins and we waited between 10-17 for four rides. Managed 17 rides in total today, enjoyed it a lot.

Scorpion is back on the track being worked on:

IMG_8489.jpeg

Vampire is being operated correctly finally on two trains. Not having so much RAP certainly helps the queues.

Tomb blaster was a decent surprise, everything worked and has far more animatronics than The Curse. If it changes from a shooter in a refurb at some point it could be far superior.

Tomb Blaster? It's slow, dull and cumbersome after about 2 or 3 half-baked refresh attempts over the past 15 years or so. It may have more moving animatronics (it always has) but it's not exciting in the slightest. The part where you just stop and stare at that snake for half an hour at the end is cringe.

At least Curse at Alton Manor has modern effects, pace and clear narrative.

Glad to hear queues were OK today and Scorpion looks closer to opening.

Tomb Blaster? It's slow, dull and cumbersome after about 2 or 3 half-baked refresh attempts over the past 15 years or so. It may have more moving animatronics (it always has) but it's not exciting in the slightest. The part where you just stop and stare at that snake for half an hour at the end is cringe.

At least Curse at Alton Manor has modern effects, pace and clear narrative.

Glad to hear queues were OK today and Scorpion looks closer to opening.
It’s not that bad to be fair, but OK you aren’t a fan.

If it had a lot more budget they could do a bit more with it I guess.

This is going to sound really random, but I had it in my head that Tomb Blaster was an omnimover, for some reason, which is why I was always stunned that it allegedly has such a low throughput...

I'm glad to hear that the other issues at Chessington have been sorted out, though!

This is going to sound really random, but I had it in my head that Tomb Blaster was an omnimover, for some reason, which is why I was always stunned that it allegedly has such a low throughput...

I'm glad to hear that the other issues at Chessington have been sorted out, though!

I am sure not the suggestion is quite that *all* the other issues at Chessington have been sorted out.

It’s not, Tomb Blaster should have 5 vehicles but for the past couple of seasons it’s been run on just two, and run badly on two.

The operations on Vampire were the best I have seen in a long time today. Dragons fury was down to three cars at one point but they had someone working on another couple in the new green shed.

It seems to be heading in the right direction going off the past month. Shame it couldn’t be like this from the beginning of the season…..

I think whether or not Vampire is OK all depends on how busy the park is and, further to that, RAP volumes.

Actual dispatching on Vampire was OK when I was there, but it was plain to see how problems could quickly spiral as even well operated, it's still only 2 trains vs the historic 3, and will struggle to get much over 800/hr which isn't really that much more than, say, Spinball Whizzer at ATR.

I think whether or not Vampire is OK all depends on how busy the park is and, further to that, RAP volumes.

Actual dispatching on Vampire was OK when I was there, but it was plain to see how problems could quickly spiral as even well operated, it's still only 2 trains vs the historic 3, and will struggle to get much over 800/hr which isn't really that much more than, say, Spinball Whizzer at ATR.
Third train is in pieces behind and to the left of Scorpion Express. It would help to have a third but realistically other rides need to be pulling their weights (which they don’t).

Jumanji will help overall, but their main coaster will not have a fantastic throughput.