• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I never knew Chessington even still had the 3rd train for Vampire… based on what people had said, I thought they scrapped it years ago.

Is there any chance of them ever bringing it back? Or is that something that’s likely gone forever?

I think Mandrill Mayhem could definitely help Chessington out. Its theoretical is 840pph assuming a 1 minute ride time and 1 minute park time, so I reckon it could easily achieve at least a train of 28 every 2.5 minutes or so (which would equate to 672pph, I think?). It could even get pretty close to that 840pph theoretical, as I’ve seen instances where Swarm (another 28-seat B&M Wing Coaster) has park times of little over a minute.

Based on reports of current Chessington operations, I’m led to believe that that could be their highest throughput coaster!

Depressing isn’t it?
I could be wrong on that one, admittedly. I haven’t visited for myself in 9 years, and my idea of the current coaster throughputs is based off of second hand reports rather than my own experiences.

With that being said, I was led to believe that Vampire’s typical throughput is around 500-600pph (I’ve heard “a train of 24 every 2.5 minutes” given as its rough average dispatch interval, which would equate to 576pph), Dragon’s Fury’s is around 500pph (I definitely heard it said that the ride typically attains less than Spinball, anyhow) and Rattlesnake’s is similar. I’ve never really heard a figure given for Scorpion Express, but using Runaway Mine Train at Alton Towers as a baseline, I’d take a stab at it falling into a similar 500-600pph ballpark if the operational procedures are the same.

Do those figures sound roughly correct to people who’ve visited more frequently and/or more recently than me?

It'd work a lot better if ambulant RAP could be fed through the FT queue of Vampire. Anytime you have a queue joining wrong side, be it FT, RAP or SRQ, it causes issues unless you just permanently chain the back 4 seats off.

Could Vampire run 3? Yes, if operated properly. If it could be modified to park better that'd work even more in its favour. Did it/does it have 4 floor staff?

I could be wrong on that one, admittedly. I haven’t visited for myself in 9 years, and my idea of the current coaster throughputs is based off of second hand reports rather than my own experiences.

With that being said, I was led to believe that Vampire’s typical throughput is around 500-600pph (I’ve heard “a train of 24 every 2.5 minutes” given as its rough average dispatch interval, which would equate to 576pph), Dragon’s Fury’s is around 500pph (I definitely heard it said that the ride typically attains less than Spinball, anyhow) and Rattlesnake’s is similar. I’ve never really heard a figure given for Scorpion Express, but using Runaway Mine Train at Alton Towers as a baseline, I’d take a stab at it falling into a similar 500-600pph ballpark if the operational procedures are the same.

Do those figures sound roughly correct to people who’ve visited more frequently and/or more recently than me?
I think they aren’t bad estimates. Vampire is currently operating a bit better than that I would suggest. The trains were being dispatched quicker than 2:30 today. This appears to have been approved upon since last season.

Dragons fury has really bad throughput as does rattlesnake. Especially as you have to consider they don’t fill the ride cars ever!

It'd work a lot better if ambulant RAP could be fed through the FT queue of Vampire. Anytime you have a queue joining wrong side, be it FT, RAP or SRQ, it causes issues unless you just permanently chain the back 4 seats off.

Could Vampire run 3? Yes, if operated properly. If it could be modified to park better that'd work even more in its favour. Did it/does it have 4 floor staff?
Vampire was operating on 1 batching, two either side of the station and one in the control booth today. Obviously you have the one outside letting fast track in.

Dragons fury has really bad throughput as does rattlesnake. Especially as you have to consider they don’t fill the ride cars ever!
I didn’t even consider that… I must admit that the weight problems on Rattlesnake and Dragon’s Fury do baffle me seeing as Spinball Whizzer, which is the exact same type of ride as Dragon’s Fury, has no similar problems; I’ve ridden Spinball with a full car of 4 plenty of times!

Conversely, I gather that riding in a car of any more than 3 people is now impossible on Chessington’s Maurers.

Vampire usually stacks on two trains, god knows how they could ever run it on 3 now a days.
It would be a struggle, a lot of the kids need lifting into the ride and it just slows it all down too much. No bags policy may help? It’s got two lift hills, a brake run and station so yes three is more than achievable if they slow the lift hills as well.

I didn’t even consider that… I must admit that the weight problems on Rattlesnake and Dragon’s Fury do baffle me seeing as Spinball Whizzer, which is the exact same type of ride as Dragon’s Fury, has no similar problems; I’ve ridden Spinball with a full car of 4 plenty of times!

Conversely, I gather that riding in a car of any more than 3 people is now impossible on Chessington’s Maurers.
Not quite, Dragons fury allows three adults but you can get four in a car if all occupants are within the weight limit. Rattlesnake I have no idea about, I noticed today it is currently excluded from their reserve and ride unless you buy platinum.

In theory, I feel like Vampire is also one that looks like it should attain a fairly high throughput.

The trains are hardly short, seating 24 riders each, and the open seating and simple OTSR-and-seatbelt restraint combination look as though they should be fairly conducive to efficient operations, similar to Nemesis at Alton Towers.

In practice, though, it sounds as though the ride has some confounding factors that prevent this from being the case…

In theory, I feel like Vampire is also one that looks like it should attain a fairly high throughput.

The trains are hardly short, seating 24 riders each, and the open seating and simple OTSR-and-seatbelt restraint combination look as though they should be fairly conducive to efficient operations, similar to Nemesis at Alton Towers.

In practice, though, it sounds as though the ride has some confounding factors that prevent this from being the case…
1. It’s a fairly long ride with two lift hills 3 minutes perhaps?
2. The riders are often young and need help getting into the seats
3. No baggage hold
4. RAP lines get so big that they often run train fulls of them
5. The batching is often off/slow
6. They don’t exactly run the length of the train to check restraints
7. The train stops numerous times (3) just to get it parked up in the station.
8. Keeping two trains running is appearing more and more difficult.
9. It’s got three separate queues coming into one station.
10. Station is limited by the amount of people allowed in, presumably evacuation precautions.

6. They don’t exactly run the length of the train to check restraints
Why on earth would they do that with a train that long and for the lengthy amount of time that hosts tend to remain on the platform for? Normal practice would be to have four hosts on platform, but of course that seems to have been killed off by aftershocks of the pandemic. And back when Vampire operated with three trains, there were six hosts on platform. Ride hosts are not paid enough to over-exert themselves and throughout an up to eight to nine hour a day..

Why on earth would they do that with a train that long and for the lengthy amount of time that hosts tend to remain on the platform for? Normal practice would be to have four hosts on platform, but of course that seems to have been killed off by aftershocks of the pandemic. And back when Vampire operated with three trains, there were six hosts on platform. Ride hosts are not paid enough to over-exert themselves and throughout an up to eight to nine hour a day..
I didn’t state they should, I am just saying it’s not as quick as it could be.

Chessington regularly change their ride hosts throughout the day. We saw one guy go from Rattlesnake to Gruffalo for example. Another went from Croc Drop to Dragons Fury.

They were rushing down the train both times I rode during the recent TS meet there, though on one occasion it took 3 rechecks to get the ride to recognise all restraints were secure. When the ride was better behaved they were consistently getting the trains out before the other reached the brake run.

They were rushing down the train both times I rode during the recent TS meet there, though on one occasion it took 3 rechecks to get the ride to recognise all restraints were secure. When the ride was better behaved they were consistently getting the trains out before the other reached the brake run.
Yep, it’s improved vastly since last season. I think they have recognised their failures and corrected them which is good.

Guests have been spotted having too much fun in Wild Asia, and on Tiger Rock and Zufari. Therefore they are closing the areas early.

Ft_welPXgAAVkFL