• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

It happened in the car park, so I assume that if they were attending the park they were checked anyway. There is nothing to stop someone from bringing a prohibited item in their vehicle and leaving it there for the day. There is nothing to stop anyone from driving in the car park at any point.

Only bags are searched, a knife could easily be brought in.

I’ve never had metal detection at any Merlin park other than Thorpe, and I’ve been to Alton Towers in particular a lot over the years. At Alton, Chessington and Legoland, they just seem to fumble about in the bag a bit. In theory, you could take anything in in your pockets.

I’m surprised by that, really; I’d have thought they’d want them all to have the Disney and Universal-style metal detection policies given that the parks are quite big potential targets.

When I visited Thorpe in 2022 I used the accessible security lane, and even though people were setting off the detectors in that area there was no one there to check.

Doesn't sound like it's in the park itself. Seriously what's going on with all these stabbings ATM, government needs to get a grip.
They really do but this has been going on for far too long bare in mind the person who stabbed someone in the stomach at thorpe park a few years ago got only 7 months in prison, violent crime has spiralled out of control since 2012 and people know they can practically get away with it.

As for Chessington not a lot they can do about car park fights except from have more security near by.

I’m surprised by that, really; I’d have thought they’d want them all to have the Disney and Universal-style metal detection policies given that the parks are quite big potential targets.
Merlin parks are not as big a target as Disney in terms of terroism.

For guest on guest issues then Thorpe and Universal are similar, especially during Fright Nights at both.

Last edited:
They really do but this has been going on for far too long bare in mind the person who stabbed someone in the stomach at thorpe park a few years ago got only 7 months in prison, violent crime has spiralled out of control since 2012 and people know they can practically get away with it.

As for Chessington not a lot they can do about car park fights except from have more security near by.
But be careful what you tweet! Your getting a sentence 3x that length!

I think merlin must have come to the conclusion that thorpe is the most at risk park, given:
A) the target audience
B) terror threats, being near to london and Heathrow - I noticed they really upped their security post ariana grande Manchester attack
C) the stabbing a few years ago

Hence, they take it more seriously there I guess

Rattlesnake is odd, in 22/23 it was always a 90+ minute queue when I looked.

This year it’s mostly been around 30 minutes.

And now it’s closing off peak days.

The curious case of Mexicana.

An update from (ugh...) Chessington Buzz:

From: https://x.com/ChessingtonBuzz/status/1829583046145945991

Not sure I've seen a park close main rides for weekdays before... this is kinda sad

This has been a thing during the off peak periods this year. It's sad and it's not the right rides to be closing.

It does possibly predict however what rides may be up for redevelopment or overhaul in the next decade.

I'm surprised that Griffon's Galleon isn't on that list.

The main ride that surprised me is Tiger Rock as this is a very popular ride with high capacity.

Surely Mexicana must be on the agenda for redevelopment.

Scorpion Express is dead and Rattlesnake isn't really sufficient for a park that gets Chessie guest numbers.
Mexicana and the surrounding area is certainly up for redevelopment in the next few years.

I'd say a multi coaster area including a family coaster as one of the coasters i.e. new Mack Powered Coaster, Vekoma Junior or Zierer Force.