• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Riskier to invest £10 - £15m in the hope attendances increase, than to make cuts to overheads and see an instant improvement in profit margins.

I'd imagine we'd still see Project Horizon going full steam ahead if Merlin planned to spend their way out of the current slump.

I wouldn't put Horizon not happening on what Merlin are thinking necessarily. That could be an AT management thing rather than that.

Nice! I remember trying to build TT out of Lego. Sadly in those pre-internet days, it was impossible to work out the course. That, and I only had a small ammount of up-to-90's era bricks to play with.
I might still have the minifigs I modded to be the mummy somewhere? (Long before they made such things). I believe it mostly involved Tipex...

Now then, Is that a model woody I see in the background?

Changing the subject completely, was clearing out my parents’ loft and found the Terrortomb model my grandad made when I was young - complete with rolling ball and moving snakes:

IMG_5697.jpeg
IMG_5698.jpeg
IMG_5700.jpeg
IMG_5701.jpeg
IMG_5703.jpegIMG_5699.jpeg
That's amazing! I especially like the moving parts, which must have taken a while to create.

First visit to Chessington at October HT. As a big Spinball fan looking forward to Dragons Fury the most tbh. Is the park horrendous at HT or the weather quells things?

First visit to Chessington at October HT. As a big Spinball fan looking forward to Dragons Fury the most tbh. Is the park horrendous at HT or the weather quells things?

Much harder to predict in the MAP era. Halloween HT has now become as if not more popular than summer holidays to some degree at theme parks. You also have visitations condensed into a much shorter period and a lower availability of rides so it's very much luck of the draw.

Chessington has less of a Halloween specific offering than Alton and Thorpe so it's probably a bit quieter in that sense.... plus weather will have an impact.

Much harder to predict in the MAP era. Halloween HT has now become as if not more popular than summer holidays to some degree at theme parks. You also have visitations condensed into a much shorter period and a lower availability of rides so it's very much luck of the draw.

Chessington has less of a Halloween specific offering than Alton and Thorpe so it's probably a bit quieter in that sense.... plus weather will have an impact.
Yeah, hoping people down there choose to go Thorpe this year 😂

Chessington is horrendous nomatter when you go.

And it can be quite busy as well.
It depends, weekday visits in term time can be ok. I visited yesterday and when I mentioned to a ride op that it seemed like a quiet day he replied that there were only 3,900 guests at the park. Mandrill Mayhem was only on a 5 or 10 minute wait all day for example.

I would suggest heading over to Dragons Fury straight away though at park opening to get on it as it seems to often have downtime throughout the day.

I found 'em!
Please excuse the crudeness of these figs, I modified them about thirty years ago as a youngling, and would never do this today. A bottle of tipex, a pencil, and some torn paper. They hadn't released the "Adventurers" line yet, so no real mummy figs were available.

Have attempted to recreate the guitar and chest using period correct parts. (That's an old brown treasure chest, not "reddish brown". )

IMG_5391.jpeg

Last edited:
A public consultation is coming at the park.

Could we see more information on the waterpark and maybe potential closure of zufari ?
Exciting times 😁

I'm imagining an update on or adjusted plans for the water park, the Mexicana redevelopment, the replacement for Temple of Mayhem, replacement for older rides such as the Flying Jumbos and further zoo developments.

I'd love to see a retheme of Land of the Dragons into a theme that better fits into the wider Chessington World of Adventures theme as this area is the only one that doesn't seem to fit as well into that theme as it is more of a fantasy theme than a wild adventure theme.

I suspect you need to dial back your expectations somewhat.
You are right, I'd be setting myself up for disappointment if I expect too much at once 😅 I thought it was realistic although not all at once 😱

It could easily be multiple park developments equally as much as a few updates here and there 🤔

I don't think they'd do a public consultation if it wasn't something significant though 🤔