• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

New land was purchased recently. MMM were hiring a lot of new creatives for Chessington. I don't think Chessington will be allowed to die a death, but it'll undergo a very drastic and painful transition by gutting some ailing classics while building new attractions. Chessington shot themselves in the foot by failing to nip the problem in the bud sooner, a lot of rides we consider classics will likely konk out together at the same time or in very quick succession. It'll be interesting to see how quickly they manage to get on top of this issue...

New land was purchased recently. MMM were hiring a lot of new creatives for Chessington. I don't think Chessington will be allowed to die a death, but it'll undergo a very drastic and painful transition by gutting some ailing classics while building new attractions. Chessington shot themselves in the foot by failing to nip the problem in the bud sooner, a lot of rides we consider classics will likely konk out together at the same time or in very quick succession. It'll be interesting to see how quickly they manage to get on top of this issue...
I am in complete agreement that we will be seeing more happen to Chessington sooner than later.

I think as soon as that planning application for the water park gets approved. We'd be seeing those plans come to light.

We have rides such as Tomb Blaster, Tiger Rock, Vampire, Gruffalo, Flying Jumbos, Tiny Truckers, Seastorm and Rattlesnake that have operated since the 90s which will need refurbishing or replacing sooner than later.

Vampire is potentially going to get a retrack and Rattlesnake will likely be moved on as part of a wider Mexicana development. I think it's the others that will need replacing either like for like i.e. Jumbos, by something else i.e. Tiny Truckers or by something similar i.e. hopefully Tomb Blaster and Tiger Rock if they can't keep them going. Seastorm is likely the safest as it's been refurbished for 2022.

These are exciting times and I hope we are right ☺️

I’m taking my daughter for her first ever visit to Chessington in a few days time and I think it will be a bit of a disappointing and depressing one in terms of ride availability. For kids Zufari and Tiger Rock are two memorable attractions to experience for the first time, I can still vividly recall my first ever ride on Dragon River probably 35 years ago.

As for Vanpire getting a retrack I just don’t see it. Sure, it’s an iconic ride for the park but I don’t think it’s as esteemed as Nemesis was in terms of earning its survival with Merlin. When the time eventually comes I’d imagine that it could end up leaving the park rather than getting a new lease of life.

As for Vampire getting a retrack I just don’t see it.
Not with Scott O'Neil at the helm that's for sure.

He's already mentioned in an interview that he probably wouldn't have sanctioned Nemesis Reborn if it was his decision. So unless the people at Chessie can convince him otherwise, it's unlikely.

*edit - retracted on account of me being illiterate, see below for details....

Last edited:
Not with Scott O'Neil at the helm that's for sure.

He's already mentioned in an interview that he probably wouldn't have sanctioned Nemesis Reborn if it was his decision. So unless the people at Chessie can convince him otherwise, it's unlikely.
That was posturing in Merlin’s continued efforts for a lower VAT rate on leisure businesses. Whilst he wouldn’t have the sentimental value that Varney had for Haunted House/Nemesis, the threat remains empty.

As for Vanpire getting a retrack I just don’t see it. Sure, it’s an iconic ride for the park but I don’t think it’s as esteemed as Nemesis was in terms of earning its survival with Merlin. When the time eventually comes I’d imagine that it could end up leaving the park rather than getting a new lease of life.

Disagree with this. I don’t know how we measure its prestige but it’s still one of if not the most popular attractions in the park based on daily rider numbers.

Personally I think it would be borderline disastrous for them to lose it without something else in the park filling that void first.

The planning permission regulations also make it somewhat irreplaceable but presumably a retrack would be allowed?

Disagree with this. I don’t know how we measure its prestige but it’s still one of if not the most popular attractions in the park based on daily rider numbers.
It’s a historic ride but I don’t think it’s beloved by enthusiasts in the same way that Nemesis was. Certainly Nemesis is considered one of the very best B&M inverts out there, is one of the finest coaster ever built in this country, and has very large appeal (with it being known by enthusiasts on an international level).

By contrast Vampire might be a popular ride at the park, especially so given the death of Scorpion Express and the height restriction of Rattlesnake, but I don’t think it’s loved on the same level that Nemesis is. It’s a ride that certainly fills a slot in the ride lineup at the park, but if it closed and was replaced with a new coaster elsewhere I don’t think people would be distraught in the same way that they would if Nemesis had been removed from Tower’s lineup. If the park opened a spiritual successor to it (ie a “Son Of Vampire) Vekoma STC then it could possibly even be a better ride.

It’s a historic ride but I don’t think it’s beloved by enthusiasts in the same way that Nemesis was.
That’s an unfair comparison. I would say that the ride is very well loved, just not to the extreme that nemesis is.

Although, I will agree that a reimagined layout would be great, as Vampire’s strength is basically everything aside the layout minus the bit where it flies over the main area.

By contrast Vampire might be a popular ride at the park, especially so given the death of Scorpion Express and the height restriction of Rattlesnake, but I don’t think it’s loved on the same level that Nemesis is. It’s a ride that certainly fills a slot in the ride lineup at the park, but if it closed and was replaced with a new coaster elsewhere I don’t think people would be distraught in the same way that they would if Nemesis had been removed from Tower’s lineup. If the park opened a spiritual successor to it (ie a “Son Of Vampire) Vekoma STC then it could possibly even be a better ride.

I would argue in the rankings of beloved British theme park attractions it’s fairly high on the list.

Certainly for a generation it was their first suspended coaster and the low height restriction meant for many years it continued to be.

It’s also one of the best themed coasters in the country and still is over 30 years later.

And of course being a John Wardley creation that cements it a place in history.

Merlin's takings for the UK will be poor this year (and particularly summer). It is the only thing that can explain the wide-ranging cutbacks before summer is even out.

Growth potential seems even grimmer. Clearly to an outsider with no emotional bias, it would not seem a wise "bet" to make big capital investments in the UK right now - which is what O'Neil said. Yes, it may be posturing/bluffing to an extent to get government incentives, but there will no doubt be a lot of better places with much faster growing markets in which to invest.

Last edited:
Merlin's takings for the UK will be poor this year (and particularly summer). It is the only thing that can explain the wide-ranging cutbacks before summer is even out.

Growth potential seems even grimmer. Clearly to an outsider with no emotional bias, it would not seem a wise "bet" to make big capital investments in the UK right now - which is what O'Neil said. Yes, it may be posturing/bluffing to an extent to get government incentives, but there will no doubt be a lot of better places with much faster growing markets in which to invest.

Hate to say it but this is spot on. Why invest in the UK when the return isn’t good enough?
Not just a theme park issue this….

With their Tussauds legacy parks like Chessington still suffering somewhat (with maybe Thorpe Park and Legoland doing the best this year) I wouldn't be surprised if Merlin eventually cuts its losses with its overseas theme parks outside of their foreign Legoland sister parks.

With their Tussauds legacy parks like Chessington still suffering somewhat (with maybe Thorpe Park and Legoland doing the best this year) I wouldn't be surprised if Merlin eventually cuts its losses with its overseas theme parks outside of their foreign Legoland sister parks.
Erm?
I personally think this forum's problem is wallowing a bit too much in "doom mongering" and seeing things as glass half empty,

Hate to say it but this is spot on. Why invest in the UK when the return isn’t good enough?
Not just a theme park issue this….
I'd possibly say the opposite.

Why would Merlin not invest, bring in something new and bring more people in?

Wouldn't the return be worse if Merlin went stagnant again?

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers and takings for Chessington last year after Mandrill opened and Thorpe this year with Hyperia. That'd inform if new investments are successful 🤔