• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Relevance is in the eye of those pushing that awful looking film that's coming out.

Some IPs are timeless though, hard to tell if Minecraft would come under that. At least it's not Roblox.

Minecraft as an ip meh. Its an old game only diehards still play it and in 3 or 4 yrs time will be even less relevent.

The actually plan on attractions looks good just not the ip

It still has an active user-base of well over 100 million, i'd say that's more than diehards.

Even if that dwindles, it will forever be culturally engrained in certain demographics due to the level of popularity it reached for a sustained period. It certainly dwarfs the likes of Jumanji or Uncharted.

Outside of a handful of franchises which are essentially monopolised by Disney and Universal, there's a case for it being the biggest available IP a theme park could obtain and in that sense it's quite incredible that Chessington will seemingly be getting it. It's worth billions.

Minecraft as an ip meh. Its an old game only diehards still play it and in 3 or 4 yrs time will be even less relevent.

it is still very popular, and has been going on for the better part of 15 years now.

if merlin do a good job, it could be an amazing land similar to Nintendo land.
IP if used right can be really good even if the origional IP wasn't, if IP is used more as a backdrop to the rides and lands then I find they often work much better (for instance the walking dead, but if the IP is lazily slapped onto a ride or land and they call it a day it can make it worse.

I also wonder what the indoor ride is as it looks large, but not large enough to house a ride like the curse, I wonder if it could be a mad house as I am trying to think of other indoor themed flats
I wonder if one of those shooter rides like lego ninjago could fit there.

It's more relevant and likely to hang around than Jumanji. 5 years time and some of the kids going on Mandrill Mayhem probably won't even know what Jumanji is. Even now I bet there are plenty that have never seen the original..

It's more relevant and likely to hang around than Jumanji. 5 years time and some of the kids going on Mandrill Mayhem probably won't even know what Jumanji is. Even now I bet there are plenty that have never seen the original..
Perhaps not, a third Dwayne Johnson Jumanji film is currently in development. They're both very relevant IP's.

Jumanji suits Chessington because of its jungle setting and the films involving animals that you could find in the zoo. I was slightly surprised that they didn't have some animal enclosures in that area.
Minecraft on the other hand looks ugly to me but I have never played the game.

Pleased that O’Neil looks like he found his chequebook at long last, and that it could be an Intamin.

My son still plays Minecraft with his mates. It doesn't really have any story but aesthetically it works as a themed area. It's most similar to Lego as a franchise so Merlin will see it as a safe bet even if it not as hot franchise wise these days.