• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

So apparently according to some random Facebook page posts Chessie will be holding a Muslim Only Day on the 9th November (which looking at the website, is a day the entire place is closed anyway)...

POPCORN AT THE READY FOLKS!

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

EDIT - Chessie have since mentioned that this is an event run by the MRDF (The Muslim Research & Development Foundation)... So the usual group renting out the park jobbie...

The only thing that confuses me is that wouldn't this be during the closed season? So will they have rides operating (like, get people in for the one day)?

Otherwise...I fail to see the problem that people will inevitably have with this. If its along the lines of the 'Muslim Fun Day' they tried to organise at Towers (as in, the same but with gender segregation and no music), then I can't see it appealing to that many people. But then, it's not aimed at me anyway.

Never looked into it, but what do pass holders do when a group books the park up? On Facebook Chessington are saying that anybody can visit the park on the day but tickets must be purchased through the MRDF, so what do pass holders do?

And so spew forth the crusaders of this great nation who's liberties and freedom are going to be constricted by a minority of people hiring out a park when it would normally be closed.

::) ::) ::) ::)

BigAl said:
Never looked into it, but what do pass holders do when a group books the park up? On Facebook Chessington are saying that anybody can visit the park on the day but tickets must be purchased through the MRDF, so what do pass holders do?

Park is due to be closed the day this event is due, so doesn't affect anyone...

Benzin said:
BigAl said:

Park is due to be closed the day this event is due, so doesn't affect anyone...

So everyone has to pay? Bugger. :p Oh well, it's better for groups to book the park at the beginning and end of the season as it doesn't interfere with anyone. The people complaining about it should remember it isn't just for Muslims as anyone can go, and this group have every right to book the park if the park is offering this kind of event to groups. Nobody has a go at John Lewis for booking Alton Towers for its employees every year, so why can't the MRDF book Chessington? :S If anything it's a good thing as people can still go to the park on what would otherwise be a day where the park is closed to absolutely everyone.

As long as it's not an article from 6 years ago :p

If its during closed season I really can't see any problem with it, and can't see why anyone else can moan about that, anyone can hire the park out if they have enough money!

I can't believe some of the posts I've read on Chessie's Facebook page. If it's a group who have paid to hire out the park in the closed season then I don't see any problems. I don't remember there ever being complaints when John Lewis hire out Towers for their staff at the start of every season, this seems no different!

:)

Technically anybody can attend anyway it seems, as the event is advertised online and is open to all faiths according to the Chessington Facebook page. It is cheaper than visiting on a typical day in any case at £21!

There is no reason for randomers to complain on the CWOA Facebook page about an event that will not affect them in the slightest. The only conflict I can see is that the park may have been open for Zoo Days on the day it is now closed.

It seems like people will moan and groan about anything and everything on Facebook.

Bandwagon of right-wing hatred mark one billion. Look how many of the fascist posts come from people with Union Jack profile pictures.

Lottie. said:
It seems like people will moan and groan about anything and everything on Facebook.
This is true of everywhere, but multiply it by a hundred when it comes to Chessington's page - as has been said above, I really do pity the poor sod who's job it is to sift through the crap that gets posted on there, separating outrage and trolling from genuine enquiries. And this time around, it's entirely unjustified - OK, so if Chessington had said 'THIS particular Saturday, in mid-August, we're only letting Muslim guests in' then I can see how that would ruffle a few feathers - but as that's not what's happened at all, the racists (and that's all they are, alas) who are getting on their high horses because the Daily Mail told them they should, can shush.

I just hope it's not good as ugly as bunny-gate earlier in the year - daft as some people's arguments may have been on that, thanks to a few obnoxious individuals, it did a fair bit of damage to the enthusiast community's image.

I tried to find out some information on the Muslim fun day, and found their website:

http://www.eidfunday.com/

So the park is being rented out for Eid, just for clarification. Also, the only real difference is that alcohol won't be sold on the day.

There's no real reason why some people are so vocal in opposing this.

I went on Tomb Raider for the first time the other day. I'm going to stick it out there that it's the best dark ride in the UK at present?

Thomas said:
I went on Tomb Raider for the first time the other day. I'm going to stick it out there that it's the best dark ride in the UK at present?

Tomb Blaster you mean? :cool:

Tomb Blaster is a pathetic shadow of a former "dark" (and I use that term loosely) ride, held together with gaffer tape and the prayers of the ride ops.

I've never really been sure of what to make of Tomb Blaster. On paper it's a very good dark ride with some great effects, but in reality I find it rather dull. The ride is too slow and the scenes where you stop go on for too long with nothing really happening - a relic from when the ride actually had a proper storyline.

It probably is one of the better UK dark rides, which probably says more about the quality of the rest of them than it does about Tomb Blaster. I would put Hex and Valhalla ahead of it though.