• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

The UK's best dark ride was Terror Tomb and it always will be. <3 That music, story and theming <3 I love it!

This is why I can't stand Tomb Blaster. At least when The Haunted House turned in to Duel, it kept most of it's charm. You can still ride it ignoring the guns and enjoy the ride.
Tomb Blaster on the other hand, is utter tripe.

1016396_590559897651394_1011374191_n.jpg

So no more Rameses Revenge until 2014. Not at all surprised, really.

Source: Chessington Buzz's Facebook page.

Jonathan said:
1016396_590559897651394_1011374191_n.jpg

So no more Rameses Revenge until 2014. Not at all surprised, really.

Source: Chessington Buzz's Facebook page.

Wow. Chessington doesn't have all that many rides as it is, two now out of use till 2014. Not the best.

Still, once they do re-open, I trust they'll be better than ever...!

At least they haven't said "...but we have over 50 fantastic rides and attractions" ;)

There was a staff member out side vampire's entrance selling fastrack tickets today with at max a 15min wait today in the normal line!

Well it was my first visit in years (i last went when i was 13 for my birthday, over a decade ago) and i was generally disappointed with the upkeep of the attractions. They just didn't feel as special as they did all those years ago. With hand-railing's showing multiple layers of paint of all different colours showing through. The vampires "New Que." Being a shadow of its former self. i could go on and on and on! I know there fixing up two rides but almost every attraction just needs some one to care a little about them. Be proactive! Make each ride make me feel like its worth the price! Make me want to spend more money staying there longer! entice me! But all I left feeling was that they were money grabbers! It just frustrates me as it could take so little to make it so good again!

We can only hope that Chessington are using that £5 million on touch ups which from recent visits they do seem to be doing. Notably on Rattlesnake's and Dragons Fury's entrances with new paintwork!

:)

I've never been to Chessie but I've stated before in this thread that I think the pictures of it in its 'heyday' are pretty incredible... I hope that whatever the hell they are currently doing to the place is going to turn out great - as I would really like to visit the park and be impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Scott said:
I've never been to Chessie but I've stated before in this thread that I think the pictures of it in its 'heyday' are pretty incredible... I hope that whatever the hell they are currently doing to the place is going to turn out great

It was... And it won't :'(

You're the most optimistic person I know.

We've seen it time and time again that although individual parks management have all these wonderful plans for new things - whatever they may be - that Merlin finances dictate otherwise.

I recall Alton wanted a smoke machine for Dark Forest. But there wasn't the money.

I admire your unrelenting optimism for Chessington but i'm afraid I don't share all of it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I see your point, but at the same time, I think I'm a little bit more informed that yourself, for obvious reasons (not trying to make any sort of dig there).

I have a huge amount of faith in the management team at Chessington, not only do they have some truly amazing plans lined up for next season (well, I think they're pretty special), but the money is certainly being spent in the right places and with the news of no Zoo days (other than the festive sort), Chessington can really get down to work on the park.

£4million produces Wild Asia, including £1million for Kobra. Imagine what the park and it's talented team can do park wide with £5million. Baring in mind that there is a separate budget for something else that's happening for next season in the Zoo.

Fair enough. I'm sure they're very talented people at Chessington, and you're right that they do a lot with very little, but the fact two rides are shut and theming has been condemned isn't very positive. It may well be replaced but it's not exactly moving the park forwards is it.

I feel sorry for the park quite honestly. It frustrates me how they barely ever add new rides.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

In my opinion Chessington need a new major ride, ideally a coaster. I know that's a lot easier said than done for a variety of different reasons including budget and space. I like Chessie, however every year it just keeps losing appeal for me. I've only been for one half day this year and to be honest that's enough; I have no plans to go back. I does pain me to say that. Some would argue that Zufari is a new major ride but for me it doesn't have the same appeal that say a coaster would have. I feel they need something that makes you think "wow I need to get back to Chessington".

:)

Ahhh, Chessie and it's amazing plans... Why I remember when they built that amazing looking monkey/bird garden area with the huge walkthrough aviary...

A LOT of people have been burned by Chessie too many times with their rather constant cancelled plans pre-Wild Asia to have confidence in the future... Especially after Zufari being a piss-poor example of theme park design and planning...

What is likely for next year? Runaway Train and Falls rocks are a given, but what else is there that will entice new and disillusioned guests to visit? The hotel expansion into part of the zoo area? New Madagashcar show? The problem is that they don't get the budget to really push the park forwards any further than it is now... Wild Asia is a good enough area but still lacks in certain departments...

One of the park's major issues is dealing with crowds as well... And the overall infrastructure of some of it is poor as well... £5 million won't help the park with it's various issues, some of which are deep-rooted... It certainly won't bring back the 3rd train on Vampire, nor give Bubbleworks some glory again...

Here's a personal list of Chessie's problems:

- Low capacity rides (Truckers, Toadies, Berries, Peeking Heights should all be removed and replaced by newer high capacity rides)
- Pointless attractions (Temple of Mayhem, Playhouse, Capers are all pretty rubbish attractions in the first place and could easily be used for other rides or better experiences)
- Poor infrastructure (Toilets, entrances, car parks)
- Rotting theming (Throughout)
- Theming in general (I like the Translyvania repaint, but on the other hand, the Abdab stuff looks worse than before, and
- Issue with major ride breakdowns (If Fury dies, Vampire gets swamped and vice versa, needs another similar sized coaster)
- Staff (Way too much focus on the interaction where it's not needed, Vampire platformers should not be chatting to guests, Fury platformers should not be delaying dispatches because I don't want to 'flap my wings like a dragon' to make the ride go)
- Throughputs (They're not very good, the park really needs more major rides that have over 1000pph, only Falls can do this nowadays)
- Zoo (Overall, it's ok, but a lot of it needs updated and fast)
- Bubbleworks (No need to expand here)

That's a LOT of work that needs doing to the park... IF the park can be good next year then there is room for optimism, but based on everything that's happened post Wild Asia's opening (and 2010 was a very, very good year) then it's clear why many don't have too high hopes for something that Chessie are promising (remember how good Zufari's finale was gonna be?)

Benzin said:
Ahhh, Chessie and it's amazing plans... Why I remember when they built that amazing looking monkey/bird garden area with the huge walkthrough aviary...

A LOT of people have been burned by Chessie too many times with their rather constant cancelled plans pre-Wild Asia to have confidence in the future... Especially after Zufari being a piss-poor example of theme park design and planning...

What is likely for next year? Runaway Train and Falls rocks are a given, but what else is there that will entice new and disillusioned guests to visit? The hotel expansion into part of the zoo area? New Madagashcar show? The problem is that they don't get the budget to really push the park forwards any further than it is now... Wild Asia is a good enough area but still lacks in certain departments...

One of the park's major issues is dealing with crowds as well... And the overall infrastructure of some of it is poor as well... £5 million won't help the park with it's various issues, some of which are deep-rooted... It certainly won't bring back the 3rd train on Vampire, nor give Bubbleworks some glory again...

Here's a personal list of Chessie's problems:

- Low capacity rides (Truckers, Toadies, Berries, Peeking Heights should all be removed and replaced by newer high capacity rides)
- Pointless attractions (Temple of Mayhem, Playhouse, Capers are all pretty rubbish attractions in the first place and could easily be used for other rides or better experiences)
- Poor infrastructure (Toilets, entrances, car parks)
- Rotting theming (Throughout)
- Theming in general (I like the Translyvania repaint, but on the other hand, the Abdab stuff looks worse than before, and
- Issue with major ride breakdowns (If Fury dies, Vampire gets swamped and vice versa, needs another similar sized coaster)
- Staff (Way too much focus on the interaction where it's not needed, Vampire platformers should not be chatting to guests, Fury platformers should not be delaying dispatches because I don't want to 'flap my wings like a dragon' to make the ride go)
- Throughputs (They're not very good, the park really needs more major rides that have over 1000pph, only Falls can do this nowadays)
- Zoo (Overall, it's ok, but a lot of it needs updated and fast)
- Bubbleworks (No need to expand here)

That's a LOT of work that needs doing to the park... IF the park can be good next year then there is room for optimism, but based on everything that's happened post Wild Asia's opening (and 2010 was a very, very good year) then it's clear why many don't have too high hopes for something that Chessie are promising (remember how good Zufari's finale was gonna be?)

I think you have listed all the major problems! I hate being pessimistic about theme parks and I really do enjoy Chessington but after my last visit it was an absolute joke. There was light pouring in Tomblaster, Dragon Falls was apauling, RMT & Rameses both closed, Vampire looked so tired and the entire park just needs a breath of fresh air. I do feel sorry for the park because Merlin head office obviously dictate where the budgets go and it has finally got a little something but no where near enough. The park was built on the cheap and it is really hitting hard 20+ years on!

I give Tomb Blaster some leeway about the light situation because it's the only way it can run in the recent heat we've been having...

Why they haven't retconned some decent air-conditioning units though by now is beyond me...