• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

AshleeKel said:
Don't ask me how I saw this, but a Daily Mail columnist has wrote about how bad Chessington is:

The hour-and-a-half queues (with no loos) for rides, the extortionate fees - at least a fiver per child per ride - for 'fast tracking' the queues, the miserable staff, the queue for the overflow car park, the overpriced food and drink, that was all Chessington's fault. I tried to buy my son an ice cream to make up for missing out on the rides but they'd run out of cones.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2411810/LORRAINE-CANDY-Thank-Chessington-worst-days-entire-life.html

article-2411810-1BA050B1000005DC-769_634x425.jpg

I'm going to the wrong Chessington...

LiamC said:
AshleeKel said:
Don't ask me how I saw this, but a Daily Mail columnist has wrote about how bad Chessington is:

The hour-and-a-half queues (with no loos) for rides, the extortionate fees - at least a fiver per child per ride - for 'fast tracking' the queues, the miserable staff, the queue for the overflow car park, the overpriced food and drink, that was all Chessington's fault. I tried to buy my son an ice cream to make up for missing out on the rides but they'd run out of cones.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2411810/LORRAINE-CANDY-Thank-Chessington-worst-days-entire-life.html

article-2411810-1BA050B1000005DC-769_634x425.jpg

I'm going to the wrong Chessington...

Denno's... *shudders*

As for the lack of loos in queues, is Wodan the only ride in the world to have them?

Nice to see the Daily Fail have sourced a photo from the park...

If she booked online, she wouldn't have had to pay over £100 to get in... and, what does she expect if she goes on a summer holiday? I know it's the only choice some people have, but a weekend is still quieter.

Many of her comments are legitimate - Chessington simply cannot cope with the number of guests it gets on peak days resulting in ridiculous queues for mediocre rides.

I've never had experiences of "miserable staff" at Chessington, in fact they've always been the exact opposite. Not saying that the writer is lying necessarily, maybe unlucky.

I wish I had something witty to say here.....

John said:
Many of her comments are legitimate - Chessington simply cannot cope with the number of guests it gets on peak days resulting in ridiculous queues for mediocre rides.

That's the reason I posted it. If it was just a generic 'theme parks are crowded in the summer' article then I'd be more inclined to mock it (although the non-Chessie photo combined with the kids playing on a Gameboy in 2013 is certainly strange), but the throughputs every time I've been this year have been appalling. Hopefully something like this, published in a highly popular (albeit alarmist) paper, will wake them up a bit.

This Summer certainly hasn't been good for them due to Rameses Revenge, Runaway Train, and part of the zoo being closed.

That's not to mention Dragon Falls being down for a few days (while I visited) and a change in the way that some of the rides are operated (like Tomb Blaster and Vampire).

Zufari should have helped but when so many other things aren't on, queues are going to get big no matter what.

2014 should hopefully be a much better season for them. :)

But I would like to see another ride with a larger capacity added in the near future. There's still the space and there's nothing stopping them from replacing / modifying older attractions (Skyway comes to mind as something that could be vastly improved), or shifting things like the Goalstriker to open up even more space.

Unfortunately Chessington as John said, cannot cope with the sheer amount of people who come to visit the place. And this year has been a very poor year for the park, especially since it's meant to have its big investment of a new attraction, Zufari as well.

Let's hope that 2014 is a better year and a chance for the park to sort itself out.

Out of interest, what part of the zoo has been closed? Not heard a thing about that (mainly because no-one can seemingly be bothered to visit)...

Benzin said:
Out of interest, what part of the zoo has been closed? Not heard a thing about that (mainly because no-one can seemingly be bothered to visit)...

The upper sections of Monkey & Bird Gardens. The section with the pond and cranes. You can go up as far as the Spider Monkeys, but no further. So it's become a dead end.

Lottie. said:
Unfortunately Chessington as John said, cannot cope with the sheer amount of people who come to visit the place. And this year has been a very poor year for the park, especially since it's meant to have its big investment of a new attraction, Zufari as well.

Let's hope that 2014 is a better year and a chance for the park to sort itself out.

Every park has its limits. The problem is that Chessington let too many people in for its current capabilities.

Chessington Buzz has just posted an update on what's going on with the work taking place in the Monkey & Bird Gardens here.

:)

TedTheHuman said:
Went to visit Chessington today, here's my personal thoughts.

I generally think that Transylvania looks very bland after the repaint. The Burger Kitchen is just very average and definitely does not have the charm that Count's Cauldron had. Both the interior and exterior are very bland looking.

Here's what it used to look like prior to the changes:

4632716911_018e01f203_z.jpg

Now it looks like this (Photo taken from Chessie's buzz Facebook):

24285_539665099407541_1796673369_n.jpg

I know which one I like better :/

Entering Transylvania today did not have the atmosphere I felt when I visited just a few years ago :(

For the rest of the park, I saw Dragon Falls and it looks dreadful without the rocks, the metal fences in the Tomb Blaster and Rameses Revenge. And seeing all of this didn't make me feel like I was in Chessington today. I was disappointed to say the least. On the plus side the staff were friendly as ever, at least that hasn't change from the old days.

Wow, that's one hell of a change, it's a shame, I still remember when it was a McDonalds, personally my favorite era of Transylvania, when everything was nice and we still had Prof.Burp with us </3
It's not awful, it's actually quite nice, but I don't like it when stuff gets removed or rethemed beyond recognition, if this were a new building entirely then I'd have no problem with it, it's just the fact that it's taken away something I've known since birth and replaced it with something less spectacular.

Heres how I remember it looking
chessingtonnew16.jpg

electricBlll said:
480320_487720421282479_85966923_n.jpg

Ok, I give up. It looks awful.

That view across the water is part of my life and now I simply don't recognise it. As long as I don't actually visit Chessington then I can just pretend it isn't real. Even if it is replaced...

TheMan said:
if there was ever a great time to consult the geek kingdom for some ideas - NOW is it.
No way. Chessington was not designed by geeks/enthusiasts/nerds! It simply came into existence out of pure naivety, built by magicians and artists. This was not just "theming", it was... there's no word for it.

Anyway, innocence never lasts long in this horrible world! :twirly:

Oh my God!
What the hell happend!
I knew Chessington was in a pretty bad shape at the moment, but this is mind blowingly bad!
I understand things need to be updated but that just looks so empty without the scenery!

Feline prints are a symbol of monarch mind controled sex slaves. Banning them can only be a good thing. I hope they keep this up and ban all triangles, black and white patterns, and anyone with only one eye.

Anyone want to submit a FOI request to find out how much CWOA paid the BBC to publish that article?

EDIT: Or would it of been written by a Freelance who then got paid by the BBC? I wonder how much BBC paid for the article, and how much the Freelance writer got from Merlin. Could the Freelance writer be employed by an Ad Agency hired by CWOA.

Starting to sound like DiogoJ42 now :p

Ian